Running Shoes

Options
irjeffb
irjeffb Posts: 274 Member
I'm relatively new to running. I completed Couch-to-5k about 3 weeks ago and I've been running 5k 3-4 times per week since.

I decided to buy myself some new running shoes after reading about how much of a big difference that can make. The shoes I've been running in are about 4 years old, though when I started running a couple months ago, they hadn't actually been worn very much (they were my "gym shoes" for a few years when I wasn't actually going to the gym).

I went to a running store and they checked me out and had me try on a bunch of shoes that were "right for me". I tried on 7 or 8 different pair, some several times, and I settled on a pair. With a discount, they were $130. This was at the higher end of what I wanted to pay, but was within what I had budgeted.

The sales guy recommended that I go to the gym and try them out on the treadmill because once I wear them outside, I can't return them. I had tried them on the treadmill at the store, but only for a minute or so.

I went to the gym tonight and ran on the treadmill. I did 2 miles, and the balls of my feet kind of hurt.

So here's the question: is it normal for new running shoes to hurt your feet a little bit until they're broken in? Am I being too picky?

I'm seriously considering taking the shoes back because I just like my old ones better and don't see the benefit of spending $130 on something that's less comfortable.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Replies

• akd001
    akd001 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    They should be comfortable. Take them back
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Yup, if they aren't working now, they probably won't get any better. Take them back while you have the opportunity to do so.
    Tell them at the store exactly where they were hurting and ask for advice on a pair that might work better for you.
  • JBurger2066
    JBurger2066 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    They shouldn't hurt your feet on the first run. I just picked up some of the Nike Lunar Eclipse 2's (similar price to what you paid), and it was like running on pillows right from the first run.
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I would take them back. They should not be uncomfortable, they should feel like heaven!
  • gabe_irun4coffee
    gabe_irun4coffee Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Yup, if they aren't working now, they probably won't get any better. Take them back while you have the opportunity to do so.
    Tell them at the store exactly where they were hurting and ask for advice on a pair that might work better for you.

I totally agree with this! I just bought a pair of Brooks PureFlow and they felt great from the first step.
  • kymbo831
    kymbo831 Posts: 3
    Options
    take them back hun . If you are happy with your old ones why change . Sometimes if its not broke dont fix it . I love sketchers easy tones and i buy the same every time i need to get a new pair . I run in these and go to gym love love love . xxxxx
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Def take them back. Running shoes aren't like regular shoes where they have a 'breaking in' period. They should fit/perform exactly right on the first run.

That said, DON'T go back to 4-year-old shoes. They are not enough support, not even close. Even if you don't wear them, the cushioning breaks down over time, so they may look brand new, but they aren't doing their job.

I say bring them back, let the guy know your issues on the TM. Are you used to running on the TM? Just curious as to whether that could be the cause of your discomfort, just not having the same stride, as I know the transition from road to TM or vice versa can cause gait/stride confusion, lol.

I buy all my running shoes from roadrunnersports.com. You can try them for 30 days, outside, as muddy as you like, and still return them. Great company. I give them LOTS of my money, lol. So maybe get fitted for a diff shoe at the store, take note of the brand and model (99% of the time you have to go up 1/2 size with running shoes vs. street shoes. Did the salesperson know this? If not, the sizing could be the problem, not the shoes), and buy them online, where you can return them after running outside for a couple of weeks if you need to.

Hope this helps! You are doing SO GREAT with all the running. Wicked proud of you, and you should be proud of yourself, too!!!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I recently went to a running store too and picked out a pair. Tried them a couple of times at home on the treadmill and they just weren't working. I thought I could get used to them but ultimately decided to take them back. The next pair I got (Nike Zoom Structures) were great right from the start and eliminated my shin pain almost completely!

So yes, take them back :-)
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Have them ( or someone) do a gait analysis.
    Doesn't have to be that elaborate, but they should watch how you walk to get you into the proper shoes.
  • spynoodle
    spynoodle Posts: 404
    Options
    I have never had to break in a pair of athletic type shoes. I just bought some Brooks running shoes and was just thinking the other day how ridiculously comfortable they are! I live in San Francisco, so I walk A LOT!

Life is too short to have hurting feet!!!
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else - take them back. They should be comfortable from the get go.
    But, I've always heard that there is a period of time to get used to them. That's not to say they should hurt though. The only thing would be if you pronate and your old shoes don't give you support for that, it will feel a bit different in the new shoes. Still, they shouldn't hurt.
    As JennieBean said - don't go back to your old shoes! Running shoes have a certain life span. I'm guilty of wearing mine longer than I should (because I'm cheap), but I do replace them fairly regularly.
  • Juliet_622
    Juliet_622 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Def take them back. Running shoes aren't like regular shoes where they have a 'breaking in' period. They should fit/perform exactly right on the first run.

That said, DON'T go back to 4-year-old shoes. They are not enough support, not even close. Even if you don't wear them, the cushioning breaks down over time, so they may look brand new, but they aren't doing their job.

I say bring them back, let the guy know your issues on the TM. Are you used to running on the TM? Just curious as to whether that could be the cause of your discomfort, just not having the same stride, as I know the transition from road to TM or vice versa can cause gait/stride confusion, lol.

^^ THIS!!!

The running shoes should feel great right off the bat, so if they're hurting you should take them back. They obviously aren't the right fit. But I would try on even more shoes rather than go back to something that's really old, or even a new, cheap, cross-trainer. Investing in the running shoes really does make a difference, especially if you intend to keep running for a long time!
  • jacquelyn311
    jacquelyn311 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    DEFINITELY take them back! Running shoes are like bras: they should be comfortable and supportive right from the start. The more you wear/use them, the more that support and comfort diminishes over time, hence why it is recommended to buy a new pair every 6 mos or so. The pair I have now AND the previous pair I had felt like they were made for me as soon as I put them on; I hope you can find the same. Good luck! ;o)
  • mjc65
    mjc65 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I tried running after a long time not doing it in trainers and my feet were in agony afterwards - I didn't think here was any major difference between running shoes and normals cross trainers but massively wrong. Bough some and the difference was shocking as the pain was not there.

Again, to just repeat what others have said, take them back.
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Take them back and have the sales man help you pick out the shoes based on the gate.
  • ChristyP0303
    ChristyP0303 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Take them back! I just bought a pair of Brooks and they fit great from the beginning.
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone on here....take them back, describe the pain/discomfort, see if they can do a gait analysis and get a different shoe and do the same thing (run on the treadmill) and find a pair that suits you. toss the 4 year old ones....or donate them.
  • irjeffb
    irjeffb Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the responses, and I'm glad to see a concensus.

To answer a couple of the questions: Yes, he sized them a little big intentionally because of feet swelling when you run.
    He also looked at my gait and a bunch of other things to have me try shoes in the right "category".
    Also, while I usually run outside, I have run on a treadmill in my old shoes before and have not ever had any pain or numbness with them.

Thanks again, all!
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    My running shoes were comfortable right off the bat on the jogging trail. They have better arch support and keep my feet from turning inward when I'm walking. But they hurt my feet on the elliptical, bike and treadmill in the gym for some reason. I wear a different pair for the gym with less of an arch support, and I don't get the numbness I got with my running shoes.

When I was being fit for running shoes, the salesguy actually did an analysis to see how I walked, how I ran, and then had me get my foot wet and stand on a piece of paper to see what kind of support I needed. He also had me get special socks, which I really like, but I don't think are all that necessary. It's made all the difference. Before my feet would get numb with the shoes I had previously.

Good luck!
  • renkath
    renkath Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Goodness yes, take them back! I run in minimalist shoes (read: piece of leather tied to a piece of flat, floppy rubber 2mm thick) and even I don't have pain on my feet. "No pain, no gain" thinking is the quickest way to hurt yourself running. Listen to your body. ... BTW totally impressed that the salesperson suggested you do that!