No Willpower

Options
I have once again rererecommitted myself to getting healthy. It's not even about vanity anymore (much), it's about proving that I have a teeny tiny bit of self discipline. I'm almost 41 years old and I'm preety sure I've never exhibited that I have any. I've always stayed away from potential vices because I've recognized that trait in myself (insert polite golf clap here). When I was younger (under 30), I always believed I had a weight problem. As it turns out, I was at a very healthy weight, what I had was a self esteem problem. Now 11 years, 4 kids, and 45 lbs later I have a WEIGHT problem. I think food has always been my big rebellion, which tells you of the excitement of my teenage years. Instead of boys and alcohol, I snuck french fries into my room at night. This is it. Now it's serious. I'm setting an example for my kids. How do I tell my kids about the importance of healthy eating when I prefer Hostess Zingers and a Big Gulp for breakfast. Grrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Replies

• lisabruce12
    lisabruce12 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have trouble there too! Let's be friends and motivate and support each other. I will be 40 in August and I am getting married exactly 1 month from tomorrow! I want to lose the weight to be able to be around for a long time for my wonderful fiance and my two wonderful children! Maybe together we can do this!!!!!
  • abcdever
    abcdever Posts: 24
    Options
    Congratulations on your commitment to getting healthy. Like you, when I was younger I thought I had a weight problem. I'm 5'2 and in high school I weighed 125 lbs and thought I was fat because the top of my thighs touched. I was constantly going on crazy fad diets like the "cabbage soup" diet because I wanted to be 115 lbs. I've realized that now, just like you said, what I had was a self-esteem problem and now I realize how that dieting really wrecked my body so that now I'm 80 lbs overweight and struggling to get healthy again.

Joining MFP has been a great choice for me because it provides the motivation and support I don't always have and keeps me accountable on my weight loss journey. If you like, you can feel free to add me so we can encourage each other as we strive for healthier lifestyle. Best of luck to you and I'm sure you're going to KICK BUTT this go round!
  • JonathansMom0910
    Options
    I have always had a weight issue which led to a self esteem issue as well. After HS I lost like 50lbs and for the first and only time in my memory didn't have a belly. I maintained for a few yrs and then met my hubby and adopted his bad habits. Since we met I had gained all together 90lbs with a pregnancy and quitting smoking.

This time I am trying to do it right. Lose about 1 lb a week and change the way I view food. I started doing a linebacker program at the YMCA a few weeks ago and have been able to run a little bit for the first time since like the 9th grade!!LOL

Feel free to add me if you want and we can share tips and support:) I have lost almost 30lbs so far and feel better than I can remember feeling in a very long time...
  • vanessa_1975
    Options
    I have been working out and lift weights for two weeks now. I am discouraged because I have not lost weight only inches. is that right am I supposed to lose inches first and then pounds later. I'm on a 1200 a calorie diet. And I do cardio 60 minutes a day. I'm wondering why the numbers on the scale has not gone down. Is that normal?
  • my2boiz
    my2boiz Posts: 89
    Options
    Now you that you know there is a problem. You can fix it :) I believe you have the will power to do it!!!!!
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I have been working out and lift weights for two weeks now. I am discouraged because I have not lost weight only inches. is that right am I supposed to lose inches first and then pounds later. I'm on a 1200 a calorie diet. And I do cardio 60 minutes a day. I'm wondering why the numbers on the scale has not gone down. Is that normal?
    Vanessa - You may actually need to eat more. See other topics about eating enough and not putting your body into "starvation" mode.

Good luck to all!

And back to the earlier topic... I bet if you think about it, there are parts of your life where you do exercise a lot of will power. It's part will power, part keeping your motivation in mind, part distracting yourself when you're tempted and part setting up a system that supports your goals (don't have your "trigger foods" in easy reach).
  • Jules_1111
    Options

Are you eating back your exercise calories? You want to eat above your BMR. :) If you aren't fueling your body with enough calories, it will slow your metabolism (it thinks its keeping you from starving). And I too lose inches before pounds. I just like to think of it as me building muscle- whether or not that is accurate, it makes me feel better.
  • defyallodds
    defyallodds Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    maybe you are eating too little and your body isn't getting enough cals, which means your body will then hoard "fat." some people say you go into starvation mode if you don't eat at all, but i think that can happen if you eat too little. At least, that's what a bunch of nutritionists have told me over the years. Try upping your intake, and also varying your workouts. Also, you may need a break from working out to let your muscles recover. Do you give yourself any rest days?
  • my2boiz
    my2boiz Posts: 89
    Options

Yes, very normal to lose inches before pounds. :)
  • Jules_1111
    Options
    I have always had a weight issue which led to a self esteem issue as well. After HS I lost like 50lbs and for the first and only time in my memory didn't have a belly. I maintained for a few yrs and then met my hubby and adopted his bad habits. Since we met I had gained all together 90lbs with a pregnancy and quitting smoking.

This time I am trying to do it right. Lose about 1 lb a week and change the way I view food. I started doing a linebacker program at the YMCA a few weeks ago and have been able to run a little bit for the first time since like the 9th grade!!LOL

Feel free to add me if you want and we can share tips and support:) I have lost almost 30lbs so far and feel better than I can remember feeling in a very long time...

Whats a linebacker program? Wonder if my Y has it?