Options
martin_chicago
martin_chicago Posts: 263 Member
math is my weakness i live in chicago area

Replies

• antoniosmooth
    antoniosmooth Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I remember the ASVAB is no joke. Get yourself an ASVAB study guide and study every day.

What MOS are you going for?
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I am good in math, but I am not familiar with the ASVAB tests (not in the military)

Have you checked here?
    http://www.military.com/ASVAB

They have exercises, practice tests, tips, etc
  • Tempe729
    Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Pick up the "ASVAB for Dummies" book. Its most recent edition came out Nov. 2011, so it's fairly new, but it has all the equations & math related information that you will need to know for the ASVAB (as well as for other areas of the test) plus practice tests. The book is only $16. I'm studying for the ASVAB right now myself, and math has always been my weakpoint as well! What branch are you going into?
  • Tempe729
    Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Pick up the "ASVAB for Dummies" book. Its most recent edition came out Nov. 2011, so it's fairly new, but it has all the equations & math related information that you will need to know for the ASVAB (as well as for other areas of the test) plus practice tests. The book is only $16. I'm studying for the ASVAB right now myself, and math has always been my weakpoint as well! What branch are you going into?

I haven't taken a math class in 5years... but I recommend picking up the book! My recruiter suggested it to me, & I really love how is "dumbs" down everything to make it easier to understand & remember the info for the actual ASVAB. :smile:
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    If I lived closer I would tutor you! I received the highest score in my district. I definitely recommend studying and working on test taking skills. If you have skype I can try to help you but I can't promise it would work out. Never hurt trying though!
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I am good in math, but I am not familiar with the ASVAB tests (not in the military)

Have you checked here?
    http://www.military.com/ASVAB

They have exercises, practice tests, tips, etc

I would still do these practice exams BUT it is smarter to buy the study guide and take those exams. The ones online do not even give you a score, they just say something along the lines of "after determining your score we believe you would be a good fit to the army" lol. They do give a taste of what the questions will be like though.
  • martin_chicago
    Options
    i would like 68kilo
    I remember the ASVAB is no joke. Get yourself an ASVAB study guide and study every day.

What MOS are you going for?
  • martin_chicago
    Options
    i want army how about you
  • martin_chicago
    Options
    any way that can help i would really appreciate it
    can i add you and message you
    If I lived closer I would tutor you! I received the highest score in my district. I definitely recommend studying and working on test taking skills. If you have skype I can try to help you but I can't promise it would work out. Never hurt trying though!
  • antoniosmooth
    antoniosmooth Posts: 299 Member
    Options

i would like 68kilo

68K, sounds like you are looking into getting in the Medical Field if my memory serves me correct or is 68 series a Mechanic type of MOS? I can't remember exactly.

Just a bit of advice from me, I'm a former Army soldier, father to a Army soldier, son of a Vietnam soldier, husband of a former soldier, brother in law to a soldier, brother in law to Navy Sailors, and son in law to a marine. Look into joining other branches of service if you haven't already.

Although I would NEVER change my military service you must understand one thing about the Army and Marines. You are a "killer" first, your occupational speciality is second depending upon what is called and remember this phrase..... "Needs of the Army". I've known several soldiers and marines who didn't/don't conduct anything they've learned in A.I.T. (Advanced Individual Training) after AIT. I'm not saying that will be you, it's just something to consider if you plan on joining active duty service versus reserve status or National Guard.

Discuss with your recruiter which section you need to concentrate on for the ASVAB because of your desired Occupational Speciality. For example General Science (GS); Arithmetic Reasoning (AR); Word Knowledge (WK); Paragraph Comprehension (PC); Numerical Operations (NO); Coding Speed (CS); Auto and Shop Information (AS); Mathematics Knowledge (MK); Mechanical Comprehension (MC); Electronics Information (EI); and Sum of Word Knowledge and Paragraph Comprehension (VE). Note that as Numerical Operations (NO) and Coding Speed (CS)

To further explain... someone going into Combat (11 series or 18 series) needs good scores in AR+CS+AS+MC and someone going into Military Intelligence needs good scores in VE+AR+AS+MC+GS+VE+MK+MC. What you need to know is what are the minimum "LINE SCORES" for your desired MOS.

Don't sign ANYTHING with your recruiter until after you've made up your mind on which branch of service and which MOS you want to choose. And just in case you don't get at least the minimum score for the MOS you desire, you can always take the ASVAB test again to get the score and MOS you want.

Good luck and God Bless
    Most of all Thank you for your willingness to serve our country.
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Look into the Kahn Academy its free on the internet. http://www.khanacademy.org/
    It will take you from basic math to trig.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is to find a math tutor who is familiar with tutoring to standardized tests. Shop around. Call any local universities or community colleges and ask if they have a list of tutors. Most math departments at most schools now keep a list of local tutors. They won't be cheap, but you shouldn't need more than an hour of tutor time per week if you bust your butt on your own time the rest of the week. Make the most of your time with the tutor by having questions prepared based on practice tests, workbooks, an other resources that the tutor can help you find.

I'm in Miami, otherwise, I'd volunteer to tutor you myself. I've worked with students at all levels, and the successful ones all have one thing in common: drive. You gotta work your butt off not just in sheer number of problems but constantly pushing and challenging your knowledge with new problems that you're not familiar with. Math is not a spectator sport.

Good luck to you! You CAN do it.
  • amurph25
    amurph25 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hey Martin!! I took the ASVAB after being out of high school for 3 years and going to an art college.... where we take ONE math class (which was pretty much intro to elementary school math -__- ) our entire time here so I was really nervous about remembering all the equations and how to do everything. I went out and bought the ASVAB for dummies book and it's suuuccchhhh a help. There's even practice quizzes in it. I picked mine up at a Barnes and Noble or some book store like that and there was also tons of flash cards in the ASVAB section. So those could help too! If there's any way I can help through here, let me know :)
  • NiniLeeMarie
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Math is my Weakness!
  • martin_chicago
    Options
    you suppose to help me lol jk

• NiniLeeMarie
    Options
    Lol sorry, maybe after I read the ASVAB study guide.

• martin_chicago
    Options
    ok ill be waiting lol
    Lol sorry, maybe after I read the ASVAB study guide.