Protein Suplements

ejechols
ejechols Posts: 98 Member
Looks like I need to add more protein to my diet. Any suggestions for protein supplements? I'm not a big fan of powdery shakes. I can tolerate bars of they're not chocolate.

Replies

• Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Beef

•Hamburger patty, 4 oz – 28 grams protein
    •Steak, 6 oz – 42 grams
    •Most cuts of beef – 7 grams of protein per ounce

Chicken

•Chicken breast, 3.5 oz - 30 grams protein
    •Chicken thigh – 10 grams (for average size)
    •Drumstick – 11 grams
    •Wing – 6 grams
    •Chicken meat, cooked, 4 oz – 35 grams

Fish

•Most fish fillets or steaks are about 22 grams of protein for 3 ½ oz (100 grams) of cooked fish, or 6 grams per ounce
    •Tuna, 6 oz can - 40 grams of protein

Pork

•Pork chop, average - 22 grams protein
    •Pork loin or tenderloin, 4 oz – 29 grams
    •Ham, 3 oz serving – 19 grams
    •Ground pork, 1 oz raw – 5 grams; 3 oz cooked – 22 grams
    •Bacon, 1 slice – 3 grams
    •Canadian-style bacon (back bacon), slice – 5 – 6 grams

Eggs and Dairy

•Egg, large - 6 grams protein
    •Milk, 1 cup - 8 grams
    •Cottage cheese, ½ cup - 15 grams
    •Yogurt, 1 cup – usually 8-12 grams, check label
    •Soft cheeses (Mozzarella, Brie, Camembert) – 6 grams per oz
    •Medium cheeses (Cheddar, Swiss) – 7 or 8 grams per oz
    •Hard cheeses (Parmesan) – 10 grams per oz
    Beans (including soy)
    •Tofu, ½ cup 20 grams protein
    •Tofu, 1 oz, 2.3 grams
    •Soy milk, 1 cup - 6 -10 grams
    •Most beans (black, pinto, lentils, etc) about 7-10 grams protein per half cup of cooked beans
    •Soy beans, ½ cup cooked – 14 grams protein
    •Split peas, ½ cup cooked – 8 grams

Nuts and Seeds

•Peanut butter, 2 Tablespoons - 8 grams protein
    •Almonds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
    •Peanuts, ¼ cup – 9 grams
    •Cashews, ¼ cup – 5 grams
    •Pecans, ¼ cup – 2.5 grams
    •Sunflower seeds, ¼ cup – 6 grams
    •Pumpkin seeds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
    •Flax seeds – ¼ cup – 8 grams

Edit protein bars are usually loaded with sugar so be alert of the nutrients.
  • You don't like powdery shakes because you did not find some that you like? I am using Body by Vi shakes and I love it! Twice a day, hundreds of recipes - 12 G of protein, <1 G of sugars, Gluten Free, Lactose Free. I just started my 90 day challenge and already lost about 5 lbs in 1 week.

The core of body by Vi 90 day challenge is Vi-Shape nutritional shake mix. To match the same nutritional values found in 1 shake, you will need to eat: over a dozen eggs, 1 1/2 cup of broccoli, 5 peaches, at least 2 chicken breasts, 1 1/2 cups of frozen yogurt, 1 1/2 cups of bran flakes, 18oz of tomato juice, 5 oz of cheddar cheese, 3 cups of lima beans, 15 slices of wheat bread, 20 spears of asparagus, 2 cups of sliced mushrooms, 30 whole apples, 10 stalks of celery, at least 3 tomatoes, 3 pineapples, and 30 prunes. That would be 8,662 calories and cost over $100, or you can get all of that nutrition in one convenient delicious shake for less that $2.00.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    You're better off getting your protein from whole foods before you start diving into protein shakes.
  • I use Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey protein powder. It has no flavor and can be mixed into anything I cook or bake. I add a scoopful to soups, baked goods, and eggs to add an additional 14 grams of protein to my diet.I buy the Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey protein powder through Amazon.com since my local GNC doesn't carry it.
  • BrittanieGo
    BrittanieGo Posts: 60 Member
    I am not a fan of powdery shakes either! And the body by Vi ones are insanely overpriced!

I aim for a minimum of 90G of protein a day on my 1200 calories.
    Cottage cheese, babybel and fredmeyer or Kroger Low Carb (and LOW calorie) yogurt are my everday staples!
    If you decide you want to do a shake, I like the premier protein from costco for chocolate, and pure protein from just about anywhere in vanilla. I add PB to the choc, only a TBS though, and the vanilla I add fruit too. When I use these I only have a half shake, I don't like to rely on them at all!
  • ejechols
    ejechols Posts: 98 Member
    Thanks everyone!