Resting Metabolic Rate tested...Even More Confused

Options
I apologize in advance for the length of this post, but I am completely and totally confused!!!

First a little back story:

I joined MFP almost a year ago, but really started exercising and logging faithfully 4 months ago. MFP had my calories set to 1200 calories a day, I raised it once to 1350, but noticed weight gain after 3 weeks, so dropped back to 1200.

I exercise 5 days a week or more… here is my schedule:
Mon- spinning 60 min
Tue- Personal training 60 min (mostly HIIT )
Wednesday- Muscle pump class (cardio/muscle endurance) 60 min
Thursday- Lifting day 45 min
Friday Spinning (60 min)
Saturday – Lift day.

I am 32, 135 lbs 20% bf (caliper test)
I have lost a total of 4lbs in a little less than a year. However, I have decreased my body fat from 26% to 20% in that time period.

On average my daily calorie burn worked out to 387 calories a day. I would eat the majority of those calories back every day. So, my average calorie intake was 1537 (this is a 3 month average for calories consumed and burned).

In that 3 month period, there was no change in my body, no inches, no lbs…nothing. So, I decided to get my Resting Metabolic Rate tested. From what I have read RMR and BMR are similar.

My gym gave me this:
Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) and Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) are rates used to estimate the amount of calories a person will burn if he is at rest for 24 hours. It is used to determine the minimum amount of energy a person requires to keep his body functioning, his heart beating, his lungs breathing and to keep his body temperature normal. The tests are conducted the same way but main differences between the two is that BMR is measured under more restrictive conditions, while RMR is measured under less restrictive conditions.

I went into the test assuming I was not eating enough calories… but the test came back with less than positive results. My RMR was 1019 and that put me into a maintenance calorie range (to include daily activities and exercise) at 1200-1400. They said my weight loss calories would need to be at 1200 (because they wouldn’t recommend eating under 1200). I asked the trainer who performed the test if I should eat back my calories after exercise and he looked at me like I was insane!! He basically said that “that is where you were getting it wrong, it is not net calories for someone with your metabolism, you need to create a deficit and if my maintenance level is 1400 calories a day, the best I could do was eat 1200 and exercise without eating the calories back to create that deficit. Now, in all honesty I don’t care what the scale says anymore, but I am trying to get my bf% lower… and to lower my bf% I know I need to be at a deficit! I am basically confused and frustrated and I have been trying to eat 1200 for a week or so without much difficulty. But on days I really work hard at the gym and I see a net calorie of 500 calories it freaks me out! The last thing I want to do is make my metabolism slower than it already is!!

I thought I would have a better understand once I had this test done, but now I am more confused than ever! I would really appreciate any advice or input!

Thanks!

Replies

• foster59803
    foster59803 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I know this question is asked a million times... but I could use a little advise :) BUMP! :flowerforyou:
  • odownz
    odownz Posts: 98
    Options
    I think, despite what the gym has figured. With your activity level and such, you are eating way less than you need to be.
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    bump~! because she's a lovely lady and needs some advice:)

I think that trainer is totally wrong :angry:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,719 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Also what test did they perform to determine your RMR?

IDEA Fitness member
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Wow… you say you haven't lost inches, but in your pics, you definitely LOOK different. You are obviously in much better physical shape even for only losing 4 lbs. Sorry, can't help you much with the question. I know the basics, but you need to know more than that!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I don't think trainers at a gym are always really knowledgable about how the body and metabolism works. As much as you are exercising, I am shocked at your BMR being so low (I've heard many times that regular exercise actually increases your BMR). I would follow up and get advice from someone who is really trained in Sports Medicine (a doctor!!).

My thought is that either the test was done/interpreted wrong, or you have let your metabolism tank by not eating enough. If your BMR is 1091 and you are doing the exercises you describe (about 60 minutes a day, I will guess at least 300 calories a day) you would be maintaining at about 1400 calories a day (which it sounds like you aren't).

Also, talk to your doctor about what the healthy body fat % ranges are for women your age. You are pretty low already; not unhealthy, but it sounds like you're trying to get into the "athlete" range. If that's what you want, that's okay, but be aware of where your goals are setting you right now.
  • evamariek
    Options
    You should never eat below 1200 calories because then your body begins to feed on it's self and you go into starvation mode. When your body goes into starvation mode it will hold on to the fat we have and what ever else you eat will not be used as energy instead it will want to hold on to that as well. The body does this to protect itself. Number one rule...NEVER EVER SKIP MEALS. Especially Breakfast. Make sure that you are drinking enough water. Take your body weight and divide it by 2. That will tell you how many ounces of water you should have a day. Never get less than 64oz. Next make sure that you are getting enough good lean protien in your diet. They recommend about 65 to 75 grams for women a day. This is easier than it seems. Studies have shown that you should get at least 30 grams of protien in your breakfast. Then eat lots of fruit, veggies well. The next thing you should know is that you need to create a calorie deficit. It takes 3500 calories to equal 1lb loss. All this means is that it will take a little longer for you since your metabolism is slow. Strength training is a great way to help boost metabolism. Because lean muscle burns more calories. So because it would be unhealthy to eat less than 1200 calories you need to create your deficit in your workouts. BMR is what we burn doing absolutely nothing. Our bodies burn calories just to survie. So when you clean your house, go grocery shopping, cook ect. you are burning calories above you BMR. So when you work out this just adds to your deficit. So eat a good amount of good protien, and eat lots of veggies and fuits, and have the right portion of whole grains and you will be feeding your body full of good nutrition and eventually your BMR should go up. Good luck and I hope this helps you.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    You should never eat below 1200 calories because then your body begins to feed on it's self and you go into starvation mode. When your body goes into starvation mode it will hold on to the fat we have and what ever else you eat will not be used as energy instead it will want to hold on to that as well. The body does this to protect itself. Number one rule...NEVER EVER SKIP MEALS. Especially Breakfast. Make sure that you are drinking enough water. Take your body weight and divide it by 2. That will tell you how many ounces of water you should have a day. Never get less than 64oz. Next make sure that you are getting enough good lean protien in your diet. They recommend about 65 to 75 grams for women a day. This is easier than it seems. Studies have shown that you should get at least 30 grams of protien in your breakfast. Then eat lots of fruit, veggies well. The next thing you should know is that you need to create a calorie deficit. It takes 3500 calories to equal 1lb loss. All this means is that it will take a little longer for you since your metabolism is slow. Strength training is a great way to help boost metabolism. Because lean muscle burns more calories. So because it would be unhealthy to eat less than 1200 calories you need to create your deficit in your workouts. BMR is what we burn doing absolutely nothing. Our bodies burn calories just to survie. So when you clean your house, go grocery shopping, cook ect. you are burning calories above you BMR. So when you work out this just adds to your deficit. So eat a good amount of good protien, and eat lots of veggies and fuits, and have the right portion of whole grains and you will be feeding your body full of good nutrition and eventually your BMR should go up. Good luck and I hope this helps you.
    Disagree about breakfast. You can skip it with no consequences as long as your daily macro/micronutrients are met and your daily calorie goal is met.

IDEA Fitness member
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I would get a second opinion on that RMR.

As for the not eating your exercise calories, completely disagree with what the trainer said. If calories consumed is less than total expended calories, you're generally going to lose weight. Now I'm not a doctor, but neither is the trainer.
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Wow, Ok this is my opinion and frankly I am not a DR or a Trainer.

If anyone told me that my RMR was 1019....... I would do a proper bulk cycle. With a metabolism that shot to hell, I would work very hard to repair it before doing anything else.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Waiting for a reply from OP, but looking at how you're working out and IF the RMR reading is accurate, I'd have you cut back to just training 3 days a week for now.

IDEA Fitness member
  • foster59803
    Options
    Oh my goodness... thank you for the responses.

Ninerbuff- I am 5'5

They tested my RMR using the "Cardiocoach" it was a 15 min test where I laid in a dark, quiet room. No food or drink for 12 hours prior, no strenuous exercise 24 hrs before the test. From what I have read it seems pretty accurate.
  • foster59803
    Options
    Also, I do eat quite a bit of protein, my typical aim is for 100g min to 140g depending on my exercise for the day. I also drink a lot of water. I definitely have a cheat day here and there, maybe 2 times a month to keep my sanity, but on average I eat a pretty balanced diet. Good fats, lean protein, fruits and veggies .

I asked the trainer if it was possible that I had damaged my metabolism... he said that unless I did some kind of VLC diet or HCG diet, I most likely did not damage it. He said that it is genetic, that I could increase my metabolism with exercise (mostly weight lifting), but even if I packed on 5 lbs of muscle I would only slightly increase my metabolism.
  • foster59803
    Options
    Wow… you say you haven't lost inches, but in your pics, you definitely LOOK different. You are obviously in much better physical shape even for only losing 4 lbs. Sorry, can't help you much with the question. I know the basics, but you need to know more than that!

The first picture was taken last last year around July, the next picture was in September ( that is when I started eating around 1200 calories - except for weekends. I was not working out). The last picture was taken this January after working out for 2 months.

In January I was eating back my exercise calories - to an average of 1500 calories a day. I was able to maintain my weight on this with out much problem. But I could not lose any more weight no matter how much I exercised. That is what prompted me to have this test done in the first place.

Haha! I just feel like it is all math and there is part of the equation that I am missing.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    They just had you lay down? Most metabolic testing I've ever done involves wearing a mask to measure VO2max while either at rest or exercising.
    I can't accurately comment since I'm not familiar with that type of metabolic testing, but again if the RMR reading was accurate, I'd cut back on to 3 days of exercise and make 2 out of the 3 lifting and the other cardio.

IDEA Fitness member
  • foster59803
    Options
    I don't think trainers at a gym are always really knowledgable about how the body and metabolism works. As much as you are exercising, I am shocked at your BMR being so low (I've heard many times that regular exercise actually increases your BMR). I would follow up and get advice from someone who is really trained in Sports Medicine (a doctor!!).

My thought is that either the test was done/interpreted wrong, or you have let your metabolism tank by not eating enough. If your BMR is 1091 and you are doing the exercises you describe (about 60 minutes a day, I will guess at least 300 calories a day) you would be maintaining at about 1400 calories a day (which it sounds like you aren't).

Also, talk to your doctor about what the healthy body fat % ranges are for women your age. You are pretty low already; not unhealthy, but it sounds like you're trying to get into the "athlete" range. If that's what you want, that's okay, but be aware of where your goals are setting you right now.

I completely agree with you- trainers are not always the best at nutritional advice!

In regards to healthy body fat range... typically 20-16% is considered athletic, and that is definitely where I want to be. I am very excited that it has gone down as much as it has (although I know that body fat testing with the calipers is not very accurate and there is most likely a pretty large margin of error). But my goal is to get to around 16% body fat. I was pretty athletic in my youth :) played a lot of sports, and I really want to push my body to see if I can get back to that fitness level again.

I guess my real question is, do I have to create a calorie deficit to continue to lose body fat? And if I do and I assume my RMR is correct, should I eat back my exercise calories?
  • casbar911
    casbar911 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I had that test done too- with a O2 sensor mask on. My rate was that low as well - come to find out I actually have Hashimoto's which is a thyroid disorder- which has slowed my metabolism. I would have your PCP do a thyroid screen and just see what your TSH level, Free T4 , Free T3 and reverse T3 levels are.... you might be like me.....
    I was eating 1200 calories, working out 6 days a week with no change... it wasnt because I wasnt trying...
    also my blood pressure and pulse are excellent and all my doctors can tell that I am very fit/healthy... so for me it cant be about the numbers on the scale until I get my med dosages under control... then maybe ...

good luck
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    A 5'5" person that is 32 years old should only eat ~1400 a day WITH vigorous training?

Sounds WAAAAAYYYY off to me.

Unless your metabolism is really shot, in which case you'll need to eat more to get it back to normal anyhow.

I would start eating 1500+, give it 2-3 weeks, and reevaluate from that point.

Edited to say I agree with the OP who said tune down your training to 3 days a week. It definitely sounds like you are overexercising.