Weight gain after going off of diuretic for high blood press

Options
Anyone else ever gain weight after going off of their diuretic (water pill) taken for high blood pressure? I just went off this week and this week has been an amazing work out week and i have been eating very well. But it says I gained 2 pounds! Boooo

Replies

• marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    It's water weight!! Since you're no longer on a diuretic, there's nothing pushing the extra water weight off..... Try decreasing your sodium intake (careful - there's sodium in EVERYTHING -- you might be taking in more than you think) and upping your water intake! :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It makes perfect sense... if you were on a diuretic and didn't need it, you were probably slightly dehydrated. Now you're not... it's just a little increase on the scale, not any change in your progress towards your goal. :smile:
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    YEAH, it made sense, i was just wondering if it was common :) Gah feels like a set back even though I know I worked my booty off this week!
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    How's your blood pressure?
  • Leahjensen7
    Leahjensen7 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I would agree -- have your blood pressure checked just to make sure you are not needing the medication. Sounds like the excess weight is water retention which will affect your blood pressure. Good job working out!! Just be careful and make sure you're healthy. :)
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Well i checked it a couple days ago and it was 120/72 so not bad...just about what it has been. I am still on 10mg Bystolic which is a beta blocker. Which brings me to another point which i am going to post about shortly---being on a beta blocker while trying to lose weight---is that a hinder? Everyone keeps telling me that it will slow down my weight loss since it slows my heart rate down.
  • PeeTeePee
    PeeTeePee Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Same thing has happened to me this week. My doctor took me off of Bendroflumethiazide, as my blood pressure has improved since losing over 40lbs. I added three pounds this week, but I know it's water retention, so I just need to carry on regardless!