Going to run a 10k!

Options
Hey y'all I am going to be running a 10k in June! I'm excited but also nervous...I hope I can build up my endurance by then! Any of y'all have suggestions for training, ways to stay motivated, etc?

Replies

• TaTaBonnie
    Options
    My girl friends dragged me on a 5K last weekend. I'm so overweight and out of shape it was comical. The thing was that we all walked it and got great exercise and had fun. NOW we are serious about doing some other 5k's and working up to 10k's. There is a site called couch to 5K that we are looking at and trying to work with that plan. Here is the link. Although I'm just now starting my weight loss plan and getting into shape plan, I have the 5 and 10K's as part of my goals and encouragement for losing weight. Right now,I'm trying to find a few people to help with accountability and encouragement. Let me know if you're interested.
    Here's the link.
    ww.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
    Bonnie
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    Exciting!
    The interval training at the site that TaTaBonnie listed is great, I also like the Hal Higdon site:

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/

Be sure to keep it fun. I try not to freak out if I can't follow the training program exactly - you know, you also have to live your non-running life too!

Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all I am going to be running a 10k in June! I'm excited but also nervous...I hope I can build up my endurance by then! Any of y'all have suggestions for training, ways to stay motivated, etc?

Are you running at all yet?

If it's your first race your #1 goal is to finish with a smile on your face. If you have to walk a goodly portion of don't worry - it's your finish line, no one else's.

One system used very successfully by quite a few of the learn to run programs is to break up your distances into 11 minute increments. You start off by walking 10 minutes and running 1(shoot for 3 or 4 x weekly - every 2nd day). Every week or two you try to increase your running time by 1 minute & decrease your walking time until you're running 10 and walking 1. Once you can comfortably run 10 minutes start building on that but listen to your body - don't try to do too much too soon.

Have fun!
  • TriTigress
    Options
    THAT'S AWESOME!! Here is the link to Jeff Galloway's conditioning program...I am starting it as soon as my interval training timer comes that I ordered from Amazon...Jeff is a world famous runner....and the author of several books..been on several national news shows and talk shows..etc....but it is fabulous....many obese people have used his program to start running. The conditioning is just the first stage..it is an 8 week program that you can repeat if needed..and then you move on to his race training programs....I am very excited about this...in week 1 you start out walking for 55 seconds..running for 5 secs...for 10 minutes...that is the first day. His training regimen helps even uber athletes prevent injuries :) here it is :)http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/condition.html
    I have it printed out and ready to go to check off :)
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Exciting!
    The interval training at the site that TaTaBonnie listed is great, I also like the Hal Higdon site:

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/

Be sure to keep it fun. I try not to freak out if I can't follow the training program exactly - you know, you also have to live your non-running life too!

Best of luck! :flowerforyou:

I'm also running my first 10K in May and am following the above training plan.

One thing I have to remember is to slow down! I've run a few 5K's and run around a 9:30 pace. But when I run longer distances (today I ran my first 5 mile run of the plan) I made myself slow down to a slower pace so I didn't burn out.
  • JennyM04
    JennyM04 Posts: 7
    Options

Are you running at all yet?

If it's your first race your #1 goal is to finish with a smile on your face. If you have to walk a goodly portion of don't worry - it's your finish line, no one else's.

One system used very successfully by quite a few of the learn to run programs is to break up your distances into 11 minute increments. You start off by walking 10 minutes and running 1(shoot for 3 or 4 x weekly - every 2nd day). Every week or two you try to increase your running time by 1 minute & decrease your walking time until you're running 10 and walking 1. Once you can comfortably run 10 minutes start building on that but listen to your body - don't try to do too much too soon.

Have fun!

I have ben running, but I'm pretty slow...about 12min mile. :ohwell: It's better than sitting on the couch stuffing my face with potato chips though, right?! lol IDK what the deal is but I have been having a hard time controlling my breathing, which in turn jacks my heart rate sky high...so I have to walk for a minute get it all under control then start running again.

I have ran 5k's in the past..but my most recent was about 5 years ago! While a 5k might be a more realistic goal, I don't feel like it's a challenge enough for me and I would lose motivaton.

Do you have any tips or tricks to controll your breathing?

Thanks!! :smile:
  • elri1908
    elri1908 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    My goals are a little more modest - I'm going to run/walk a 5km in November. I started training today. I signed up for the newsletter 3 Weeks to a 30-Minute Running Habit: on About.com's running and jogging site. Of all the sites I visited today, this seemed the most appropriate for me. There are many related articles - maybe there's something that could help you prepare for the 10k

running.about.com (How to start running)

Good luck!
  • shellsrenee01
    shellsrenee01 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    My first 10K is this Saturday and my goal is to simply cross that finish line (and crawling totally counts! haha)

I find that doing 5Ks, even though I would hardly say I *run* them, is a fun way to keep myself motivated to stay moving. My last 5K was around 42mins (I was shooting for under 40...doh!)

I am going to finish this 10K with a smile on my face if it kills me! Then, this fall, I will do another one (after training for 6 months or so) and then see where my time is. I'm excited.

Good luck and enjoy yourself! :)
  • thomo71
    thomo71 Posts: 21
    Options
    My first 10K is this Saturday and my goal is to simply cross that finish line (and crawling totally counts! haha)

I find that doing 5Ks, even though I would hardly say I *run* them, is a fun way to keep myself motivated to stay moving. My last 5K was around 42mins (I was shooting for under 40...doh!)

I am going to finish this 10K with a smile on my face if it kills me! Then, this fall, I will do another one (after training for 6 months or so) and then see where my time is. I'm excited.

Good luck and enjoy yourself! :)
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Bump!

I am also running a 10K in June - any hints and tips are greatly received!
  • thomo71
    thomo71 Posts: 21
    Options
    Oops! sorry, I quoted but didn't reply, I totally agree with this. Use a 5K as a practise run for the ten K, a couple of years ago I really got into running even though I was still quite heavy. I used the cancer research 5Ks to practise for the 10K - the athletes that do these races are more serious. But run the race for you and enjoy. If you walk, run, walk, so be it. It's about finishing.
    Good LuckX:wink:
  • Kayleighpaul1985
    Kayleighpaul1985 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Im doing 10k in June too

xx
  • Marks281172
    Marks281172 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Ive just started running as well.

Im running a 5k race in June and ive found that running 5k and aiming for a good pace (for me at least, im currently doing it in about 29mins and aiming for about 26-27 on race day) has made running 10k at a slower pace (6mph is comfortable for me) not too bad, my last cross country 10k was just under an hour.

..what really keeps me going is the Nike+ GPS for iphone as it gives audio feedback on distance and time splits and a good playlist, i have a playlist for 5k and 10k that both have songs timed for the start and end of the run to give me a little boost.

At roughly 27 minutes in my 5k playlist 'Till i collapse by Eminem kicks in with gives me that little nudge to end of the run .. They both start with Flying High from Rocky to get me going :)

..best of luck, hope you enjoy getting into running as much as i have :)