Forgive my ignorance...

iRun4wine
iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
I feel silly asking this, but I've been wondering about it all day.

If you go over on calories one day, can you/should you cut back over the next couple of days to "even it out"? For example, if you go over by 500 calories on Sunday, should you/could you cut back by 100 for the next 5 days? That's basically what I have been doing, but not sure if it truly makes sense from a nutritional standpoint? I rarely go over my calories, so I don't have to worry about this often :tongue:

Replies

• Nightdust
    Nightdust Posts: 171 Member
    I start over new everyday unless I went over by a lot the day before. If I went over by like 500+ then I would try to eat lighter for the next couple days or try not to go over at all. For me I like to go over once in a while to keep my metabolism in gear.
  • nguill6
    nguill6 Posts: 133
    That sounds logical. If you have the deficit at the end of the week you should lose the pound or 2 you were aiming for. I'm lazy though and I usually just forget it when I go over and try to do better the next day:ohwell: :wink:
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    you could also do a lil extra excercise to burn it off and/or make up for it :smile:
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Thanks. I usually eat back my exercise calories, but I don't plan on doing that this week.
  • mhubley
    mhubley Posts: 3
    You need to end the week with the correct caloric deficit to continue your weight loss. There is a process to eating called "zigzagging" ex. go over 300 calories on day and then go under 300 calories the next. At the end of the week you will still have the proper deficit. It can help you mix it up a little as the same diet gets old.
  • laura11248
    laura11248 Posts: 49 Member
    I know when I did weight watchers 3 years ago...you could "bank points"...calories...for the weekend if you needed to! I think as long as you don't starve yourself to make up for a BIG day your good!
This discussion has been closed.