There is a big difference between eating more to lose weight

Options
There is a big difference between eating more to lose weight and eating how you used to eat.

I read a lot of posts from people from both sides of the fence: the ones who tell you to eat more to lose weight, and the others who say they simply "can't" eat all their exercise calories back, or reach their calorie goal for the day because they're so "stuffed", or lose weight if they aren't eating at MFP's 1200 calorie guideline.

What I don't understand is, most people came to MFP because they were eating well above their recommended caloric intake, so how all of a sudden are they now not able to eat exercise calories back and not eat up to 1200, 1300, 1400 calories?

I bet you that for most people, if you were to take an *honest* look at what you were *really* eating before you came to MFP, and just logged your calories as you normally ate when you gained weight, you were probably eating well above 2500, 3000, or even 4000 calories a day. For most average size people, that could account to a 10, 20, or even 30 pound weight gain. (This is the average person, this is not counting someone who may have other health issues going on...)

So this is why traditional "dieting" fails - people go from eating a ridiculous amount of calories to all of a sudden restricting themselves to 1200 calories a day. It's such an extreme measure that it's hard for most people to keep it up as a lifestyle.

Now look at the sensible approach. If you've got a good amount of weight to lose, losing a half to one pound a week is a very reasonable and healthy goal to strive for. To do so, all you need to do is somehow cut 500 calories a day from what you normally take in.

That's not hard to do - cutting down on a portion size, walking for 30 minutes, skipping a soda or two - just small things - can add up. If you were eating 4000 calories a day eating 1000 calories worth of donuts and/or pizza, you could cut that by eating 1 instead of 2 slices or 2 pieces of donuts. Let's say you're a 5'6" sedentary woman, and your daily calorie needs at goal weight are about 1800 calories a day to maintain. If you're about 20 pounds overweight, you could simply take off 250 calories from food, and 250 from walking, cleaning, doing something for 30 minutes to an hour. It's not extreme and it won't make you feel like you're "dieting".

The whole point when people say "eat more to lose weight" is that you don't have to go to such extreme measures (going from 3000+ calories a day to 1200! That's just crazy!)

Just get used to eating a little less than your maintenance calories. "Eat more to lose weight" does not mean stuffing your face with seconds, thirds, box loads, and packages of all the stuff you used to eat. You're still reducing calories if you're eating like you were at your goal weight.

It boggles my mind, especially when I read about folks who have 30+ pounds to lose and all of a sudden say they are "fine" and "not starving" eating only 1200 calories a day now.

Replies

• dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    great post.:happy:
  • vidoardes
    vidoardes Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I started eating 1500 calories when I started this and I was tired and hungry. Now I am eating more (pushing for 2000 a day every day, still needs to be higher!) and I feel much better.

I do have a bit of sympathy with regards to the amount of food though, because calories don't dictate quantity of food. Someone could eat 10 doughnuts a day (a small amount of food from a volume point of view) but be taking in 5000 - 6000 calories a day, then eating 10x the volume of those doughnuts in vegetables and still only hit 1800 calories. It think that's why people say they are stuffed, they weren't necessarily eating a lot of food before, just the wrong foods mean a lot of calories.

If you just cut down what you are eating then yes, I see what your saying, but most people what to change their lifestyle, so they are changing what they are eating to my healthier, lower calorie food, which means they have to eat a lot more food to get the caloric intake they need.
  • myf1101
    myf1101 Posts: 99
    Options
    I am one of those who says that they cannot eat back all the exercise calories and sometimes finds it hard to eat 1200 cals a day. For me this is because it is what I am eating now. I accept that in the past I was probably eating a lot more in terms of calories but the food was crap e.g. large bag of tyrrells or kettle chips as a snack, Mc Donalds meals which meant I was full at the time but 2 hours later I wanted more. Now I think hard about my calories and what I put in my mouth. I make the most of what I eat and find that I am fuller for longer, which means I am not hungry between meals as I have been in the past and this is why I can't always get my calories in. Don't know if this is the same for everyone, but this is my experience.
  • JessicaAnnD
    Options
    Totally agree!!
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

Now look at the sensible approach. If you've got a good amount of weight to lose, losing a half to one pound a week is a very reasonable and healthy goal to strive for. To do so, all you need to do is somehow cut 500 calories a day from what you normally take in.

I agree, but I think you misspoke here, I think you mean they need to cut 500 cals from TDEE, cutting 500 cals from their current intake might just decrease the amount they are putting on.

It's really important for people to know their numbers (TDEE and BMR).
  • silverbullet07
    silverbullet07 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    What I don't understand is, most people came to MFP because they were eating well above their recommended caloric intake, so how all of a sudden are they now not able to eat exercise calories back and not eat up to 1200, 1300, 1400 calories?

The problem is that we are now eating good food that fills you up. If I eat good protein and lots of fruit and veggies and try to keep fat < 20%, calorie intake will be low and I will be stuffed. 400 calories of good protein and fruit and veggies will stuff you.

Sure when I was eating bad...I could eat 1/2 a pizza ( 4 pieces) and calories would be 1500-2000 calories or go to the chineese buffett and blow them out of the water with a couple egg rolls.

Today, I have to work on trying to add good calories. Maybe add some protein powder or nuts to my food or eating greek yogurt.
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Essjay I totally agree with you.
  • jadashute08
    jadashute08 Posts: 56 Member
    Options

The problem is that we are now eating good food that fills you up. If I eat good protein and lots of fruit and veggies and try to keep fat < 20%, calorie intake will be low and I will be stuffed. 400 calories of good protein and fruit and veggies will stuff you.

Sure when I was eating bad...I could eat 1/2 a pizza ( 4 pieces) and calories would be 1500-2000 calories or go to the chineese buffett and blow them out of the water with a couple egg rolls.

Today, I have to work on trying to add good calories. Maybe add some protein powder or nuts to my food or eating greek yogurt.

I agree with you! It is what we are eating now compared to how we used to eat...
  • RestartThisRight
    Options

THIS. We end up eating much more because its all much healthier. And if it's not more, it still fills you up to the point where you cant eat back ALL of your exercise calories.
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    ~ My only suggestion to those who cannot reach 1200 calories a day because they just aren't hungry ... would be to add more nuts and healthy oils/ fats. This is the healthiest way to get the nutrition you need and stay at a decent calorie intake.

I started my journey on 1200 calorie days ... after I lost a significant amount of weight and it became much harder to lose pounds at such a low calorie intake. My body ... My muscles ... were starving ! I quickly bumped my calories to 1400-1500 a day for awhile. Then came the " plateau " ... after doing a lot of research and trying many tactics ... I came to realize that when your close to what your normal weight should be ... it is very difficult to lose those last 20 pounds. So it took a whole new way of thinking to get past the " low calorie " mentality ...

Today ... I zigzag between 1600 and 2000 calories on a regular basis ... generally falling in around 1800. I am losing at a normal rate and I have NEVER felt better ! I love the idea I can have REAL meals and still have calories left over for snacks ! it's a win win for me ! I do exercise a lot and yes that does play a factor between just how high my calorie intake will get. But again, it truly is what works for you ... Basically I've been just about at each point you guys are talking about ! LOL ! It's just part of the journey my friends ... you have to tweak and adjust as you go along. Find what works for you !

But one last thing ...

A calorie is NOT just a calorie ... and what you consume will define how you look and feel. Be sure to make healthy choices more so than not ... don't allow your best efforts to be hindered by poor choices !

Have a GREAT day my friends ... Make this day count ! :flowerforyou:
  • dupaboo
    dupaboo Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    While I agree with you for the most part, a lot of overweight people (including myself) weren't eating enough. That meant that our bodies went into starvation mode and clung on to every ounce of fat that went into our bodies - - even if it was only 800/day. I wasn't focused on eating during the day before, so a glass of milk and a cup of coffee would be all I fueled my body with for 8-10 hours. I may have had lunch, I may not have. Sometimes I just figured why eat at 3pm when I realized I was hungry when dinner would be in 2-3 hours. So I was clearly not eating enough....for me it was an adjustment to go from eating one meal a day to 4-5 small meals a day. It seemed like I was constantly eating. I had to retrain my thoughts and my body. Now that I've been eating the way I'm supposed to - I'm looking at 1400 cals/day like the norm instead of 800.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Great post
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Awesome post. :flowerforyou:

Too bad the people who need this probably won't read it.
  • magenbrittni
    Options
    I've only been doing this since January and until about 2 weeks ago I NEVER ate back any exercise calories. I was always hungry during the day no matter what I ate. Yes, I was losing weight just fine, but the past 2 weeks have been much better. I've started eating back some of my exercise calories. Not necessarily all of them, but I'll easily go to 1300 or even 1400 after a good workout. I've still been losing. Just as quickly, if not more quickly as I was before. But now I'm less hungry all day :) The hardest part I think to get used to is that it seems to stay engrained in my mind "eat less. lose weight."
  • 0lightasair
    0lightasair Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    To me, eating more to lose weight is summed up by this article:
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=1260

Eat more food in volume and weight, but eat less in calories. Keeps you full. without the "bad macro"-calorie heavy.

If to eat the "homemade" way (from the article) and are looking for more more than just weight loss, to transition into a healthy lifestyle, and maintain your exercise, you can still have a hard time hitting those calorie goals MFP calculates for you.
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I agree with the people who say it's what they're eating now that makes it difficult to get their calories. That's what I love most about eating healthy - I can eat all day long! I love to eat. I will admit that I don't have much trouble getting to 1500, but that's because I am still allowing treats - a small dish of ice cream or a glass of wine will take care of any deficit I have!
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    i thin kyou've explained this better than anyone on this site so far :flowerforyou:
  • Ilovejacks
    Ilovejacks Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    That is me exactely!I eat some great food now and seems like alot of it but, i can't even reach my daily caolories,let alone my exercise calories.I really don't want to fall into that person that can't lose because i don;t eat enough.Grrrr
    Starting today iam going to eat my calories!!!I see some people who eat white rice,gravy & all kinda food but,that's why i'm fat now.I just don't want to eat all that anymore.I try not to eat to much fruit,would it be wise to use fruit to get my calories?
    Thanks,Linda
  • marriedwith
    marriedwith Posts: 72 Member
    Options

Yes Yes Yes -

I'm having trouble eating my BMR - I am eating so clean that I am really FULL. I don't eat fruit because of hyperinsulism so I don't know where to add more calories! NOT going to start eating cookies again...that's how I got into trouble. Maybe a cheat day would bring my average calories up/
  • 4nakiaharmon
    4nakiaharmon Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Before I started this journey, I was one of those people that ate thousands of calories of day. It wasn't that I was eating non-stop but when your eating McDonalds, and drinking Starbucks it doesn't take long to reach high calorie totals. Now that I have decided to make this lifestyle change, I am more aware of the foods that I eat. I'm now eating six meals a day and exercising regularly. To eat my daily calories and eat back my exercise calories has me completly stuffed.