Having trouble - need advice

Options
I know you must hear it all the time, but it seems I just can't lose weight! I could really use some advice. Here's my story.

I'm female, 168.4, 5'4, 26 yrs old. I started dieting in Sept 2010 using a calorie count website. Eating (what I didn't realize at the time was an unhealthy amount) 1250-1350 calories, I lost around 30 pounds in 4 months (I went from 190 to 160). At the time I only worked out around 30 mins, 3-4 times a week. Then, life got in the way and I stopped dieting. Since then, between Feb 2011-Jan 1st 2012, I gained weight but yo-yoed between 167-175. I haven't seen below 167 since Feb 2011.

NOW, since January, I've been eating a minimum of my BMR, usually between 1550-1650 daily, and I was working out 4-5 times a week. I continued to yo yo between 172-168 but kept going up and down. I got so frustrated that I bought a bodybugg (figuring maybe I was burning more or less than I thought). Well, if you consider the bodybugg accurate, on days I work out (which I'm doing almost every day now), I burn between 2250-2550.. but generally it's about 2,350. I do a mix of cardio and strength training. Upon realizing how much I burn, I tried upping my calories. I now eat around 1,650-1,800 cals a day depending on my workouts. (I usually have a 600-750 deficit.) I'm drinking at least 12 glasses of water a day. I'm not on any unusual medication. I'm a vegetarian but I eat super healthy - and I have a food scale so I know my counts are pretty accurate. And yet, I can NOT get below 167.8!!! The past 10 days I've bounced between 167.8 and 168.6, and then this morning I'm back up to 169.8. I've been seeing this trend since January. What should I do?? Should I be eating more to try to reduce my deficit further? Honestly, though, it feels like I'm eating SO much right now. It feels like I'm eating more than I was when I wasn't dieting! Should I eat less? I know I really shouldn't eat below my BMR... but it worked for me in 2010... or maybe I just need to go to the doctor? I had my thyroid checked a few years ago but I guess I could check it again.

Anyway - I'm so sorry I wrote a novel! I am just so lost. I hate feeling like I'm doing everything right and yet the pounds won't come off. I'd do anything to see 166 on the scale. Thanks for any thoughts on the matter :)

Replies

• Jen8np
    Jen8np Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am going to send you an invite to a group And I would post this there as they give awesome advice. I do know some people eat at or over Maintance for a few months to when they get super stuck then after their body knows its safe again they start to slowly cut and lose. Hope the group helps u!
  • susanslew
    Options
    Thanks, Jen8np! I'll try posting it in that group! Good read, too, on the plateau. I've zig-zagged my calories and try to eat at maintenance once a week, but haven't done it consistently. Considering my daily burn of around 2,350, I honestly think I'd have a hard time getting to maintenance without being pretty unhealthy about it. But I guess if nothing else works, it's what I'll need to try!