Is it unrealistic to lose 30 lbs in 20 weeks

Options
I'm going in to week four, I have lost ten pounds, but I keep yo-yoing around there, up a pound today from yesterday, I'm betting it was myabe the salty crackers I was snacking on last night, that I haven't had in weeks. Just getting a little discouraged, I was honestly thinking that after really watching what I was eating and excercising frequently that the weight would just fly off. My goal is to lose 50-60 lbs, but was really hoping to lose the 30lbs by July. Any one have any advice for me.?

Replies

• Jen8np
    Jen8np Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    They say the slower it comes off the longer it stays off. When u lose too fast you lose muscle. Slow and steady wins the race! This is a life time change right? Best of luck to you :)
  • SheliaN1960
    SheliaN1960 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    My husband is crazy when it comes to weighing in eveyday. My trainer once told me that for a female that is a bad idea. Maybe give your self a break and try for once a week I now weigh in once a month and the pounds seem to just fall off. Best wishes to you!
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    it is not unrealisitc to lose that weight. It will be a challenge though. You need to be sure that you are eating the right nutrients to support your body. I've recently discovered that I was working out too much and cut back on my workouts. I'm losing consistently now. you can yoyo 3-5lbs a day based on what you ate and the last time you evacutated (yep.. i really mean poop).
    Good luck!!
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Examine your caloric intake, if you are too low it goes really slow. Sodium can cause a lot of yoyo ing if your diet is not potassium rich. Workouts have a good influence. Tracking your food carefully with a kitchen balance and measuring cups. Making sure you are getting enough protein (lots of discussion on that here in the forums. Lots of fruits and veggies to fill you up.
  • susanofscottsdale
    Options
    With consistent exercise and dieting this should be possible. With the weight that you have to lose, a weekly loss of 1% of your current weight is doable in a healthy way.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    That averages out 1.5#'s per week, which isn't unrealistic but doesn't allow much wiggle room should you have an issue along the way.
  • twilighttabby
    twilighttabby Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You can do it. I did 20lbs in 7 weeks so it is doing... Good luck!!!!
  • NemoDog
    NemoDog Posts: 61
    Options
    I don't think so I've been following this site and working out and have lost 29 in 10 weeks and I feel great!!!
  • oOLiveYourLifeOo
    Options
    Honestly, I don't think it is too unrealistic if you eat clean and mix exercising with weight training. July is only four months away and you would have to lose 7.5 pounds per month to reach that goal. My goal is 6 pounds per month and I have been hitting it by just eating clean and monitoring my blood sugar levels. I think you can do it!
  • RichAdcock
    RichAdcock Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you weigh yourself too often. It is normal for weight to go up and down. Pick a day of the week and stick to it. Weigh yourself right after you wake up. Do this before you get dressed. Last week I didn't show a loss, but this week I was down 3 pounds. I have lost 19 pounds in 7 weeks. Stay with this program. It works.
  • kregerems
    kregerems Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm currently taking a Nutrition Class for college and what I've studied, and applied is; 1 to 2 pounds
    lost a week is the safe and effective way to lose weight. By doing this your not starving your body, and
    your bringing it down slowly to an acceptable level. Be patient, I've lost 55 lbs since July 2011. Be
    positive your doing a great job and will feel that much better later.
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    It may be realistic or unrealistic, but here's something to think about:

Those weeks are going to pass anyway. So what you should really focus on is just eating right and exercising. If in that time frame you don't reach your goal, at least you will have done something. If you don't lose weight, maybe you managed to not gain any weight either. That's a huge accomplishment in itself :).

Good luck :)
  • blondiekat230
    Options
    I don't think its unrealistic...I've lost 25 in 90 days with mfp...its been coming off slower this past month but thats an averge of 8 pounds a month, depends on how much u need to lose and your food and exercise, I work out 5 days a week and akways average from 1300-1700 calories a day....Good Luck its possible
  • Jeaniehop
    Jeaniehop Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Not at all I lost 31 lbs in 12 weeks I eat well and exercise almost daily. Good luck to you you're doing great!
  • Amandajp79
    Amandajp79 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Do NOT weigh yourself everyday. That is a set up for getting upset. Your weigh can fluctuate average of 3lbs during one day. I weight myself once a week, always on Tuesday always at the same time, always naked :blushing: Slow and steady is the best way to lose! Good Luck!:flowerforyou:
  • Chrissy979
    Chrissy979 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Great thanks for the advice everyone. I must admit I am a bit of an "obsessive virgo", and once I have an idea in my head I have a hard time letting things go. I think I will try to stay away from the scale every morning, and maybe just do it one a week.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    That's 1.5lbs a week so doable, however if you're under 150lbs it will be tough.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Cwilliams8676
    Cwilliams8676 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    It may be realistic or unrealistic, but here's something to think about:

Those weeks are going to pass anyway. So what you should really focus on is just eating right and exercising. If in that time frame you don't reach your goal, at least you will have done something. If you don't lose weight, maybe you managed to not gain any weight either. That's a huge accomplishment in itself :).

Good luck :)

this just eat and exercise well and whatever you lose in this time is a positive