Trade Clothes

Options
hdawg
hdawg Posts: 28
Hi, I wasn't sure where to post this, but I just cleaned out my closet and have a large pile of clothes are are now way too big. I have lots of different sizes. I also have several good condition levi's. So I was wondering if anyone has ever came up with the idea of having a trade clothes ring on here. I figured most everyone is probably in the same boat (have clothes too big and need smaller ones). I'm not sure what the best way to exchange clothes but I think it is worth discussing. If you are interested post here and more importantly if you have an idea of how to send the clothes also let me know.

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I tried this once with someone and I don't think she was too pleased. (I had sent her pictures before of the items so that wasn't the problem. I'm not sure if they were larger or smaller than she thought or what. She just didn't 'gush' when she received them, you know?)

Anyhow, flat rate shipping boxes from the USPS probably work best. Reasonable sized box (I think I was able to fit in 5 or 6 tightly packed pairs of pants) and shipping was $8.95 (at least it was last year). I mailed her the pants, she mailed me a check for $10 (being generous to cover shipping and me getting to the post office.) I was glad to give away the pants to someone who could use them. Goodwill was getting them otherwise.

It was all on the honor system between me and this girl and it worked out fine. Couldn't tell you if it would always work out so well, but I love the idea of helping out others and freecycling on MFP! :flowerforyou:
  • hdawg
    Options
    Yea I figured there would probably be issues with styles and what not. But I think that if everyone would describe the clothes people could pick who they wanted to trade with... This is what I was thinking people interested could post the following information size, brand, style (flared jeans, skinny, etc) and add maybe a few group pictures. Taking photos of everything individually would be far too much work. But group pictures would probably work out great.

The flat rate boxes would probably work out perfectly. I still have 10 lbs to lose so I'm not interested in spending lots of money on clothes that will not fit in 2 months from now, but $9 is reasonable for some jeans that I could wear for the next few months. I figured since we all started at different places and we are all probably in different size brackets, with more to lose, this might work out well for everyone. You wouldn't have to trade with one person, for instance maybe I'll send jeans and shirts to Betty, then Betty sends some stuff to Jane, etc.

Just a thought. Always looking for ways to save money :).
  • CandaceW
    CandaceW Posts: 73
    Options
    if y'all figure this out...definately let me know :heart: :bigsmile:
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I can't afford to keep buying clothes every time I drop a size or two as I have lots of sized still to go. So please let me know and I will do the same.

Memaw
  • yankeefamily05
    Options
    oooo i want in on this too...my clothes are always in great shape. Im at a lose 18 right now. :wink:
  • hdawg
    Options
    Okay sounds great :). Why don't everyone begin posting what they have to trade...type, size, style, brand and if you want to include pictures that would be great too. I will start adding mine this afternoon!
  • shannahrenee
    Options
    bump :tongue:
  • hdawg
    Options
    Okay here is a list of clothing I have to offer up:

1 pair Lee Midrise Boot Cut Jeans size 14 med.
    1 pair Stamp 10 Favorite Jean size 14
    1 pair Levis bootcut size 14 M (515)
    2 Old Navy button up quarter sleeve shirts both size Large Perfect Fit (one dark purple one light purple)
    1 Cherokee argile quarter sleeve button up sweater in brown size Large
    2 Covington's button up quarter sleeve shirts both size Medium (one black and one dark blue) (these shirts fit more like a Large; I'm a medium now and they are too big for me)

Here are some group photos
    http://s586.photobucket.com/albums/ss304/hollystott/?action=view&current=shirts.jpg
    http://s586.photobucket.com/albums/ss304/hollystott/?action=view&current=jeans.jpg

What I would like to find:
    -any jeans size 8 or 10's bootcut (no straight leg for me :)) peferably mid rise. Would really love to find Levis
    -any shirts in misses that is a M or a small L
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    I have a TON of stuff to send, if the person is willing to cover shipping....mostly size 10 pants and Large tops
    I have casual and dressy stuff, suits etc

Kim
  • hdawg
    Options
    Hey Kimber I totally would be interested in any size 10 pants you have. I'm in law school (preparing for lots of interviews) and could use more dressy stuff. What exactly do you have? I would for sure cover any shipping costs. Thanks!
  • hdawg
    Options
    I'm just bumping :)
  • hdawg
    Options
    anyone interested?
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hey Kimber I totally would be interested in any size 10 pants you have. I'm in law school (preparing for lots of interviews) and could use more dressy stuff. What exactly do you have? I would for sure cover any shipping costs. Thanks!

Hey

I know I have some Ann Taylor stuff etc and I think I have a size 10 suit that still has tags
    They were all bought about 5 yrs ago before I decided to stay home
    When I have a minute I'll pm u with what I have and u can tell me if u want some pics or how you want to handle it
    I would assume the shipping would be a little pricey since it is a lot of stuff, but worth it, if u like the stuff

Kim
  • hdawg
    Options
    sounds great! I will wait on your pm :) Thanks!
  • hdawg
    Options
    The lot of clothes I posted have been taken. If anyone else wants to post up clothing to trade or to giveaway please feel free to do so. Also if you are looking for something please post someone reading might have it laying around. :happy: