Going under 1200 calories

Options
Lately i've been only eating about 600 to 1,000 calories a day. I go to the frig starving but then decide to not eat anything or i'll have about 5 baby carrots and be okay... Does anyone else do this ?? and if so how do your force yourself to eat more calories???

Replies

• Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    since by going under you are putting yourself into starvation mode and won't lose any weight that way, or at least not in a healthy stay off sorta way....if you don't want to eat something how about sipping on a shake or some other drinkable supplement to fill out some of your cals for the day?

just an idea :flowerforyou:
  • proctor0828
    Options
    When I'm not really hungry but I need to take in alittle more calories... I make a bag of 100 calorie pop corn and just pick at it for a while
  • nguill6
    nguill6 Posts: 133
    Options
    You definitely don't want to go into starvation mode where your body freaks out and stores everything you eat for fear of not being fed enough. Eat high-cal snacks. Dip those carrots in peanut butter, grab a handful of nuts, an avocado... If you're in serious need of calories just add extras to whatever you are eating. Baked potato with the works. Scrambled eggs with cheese. A dollop of daisy on just about anything. I don't think most people most people have the issue of needing more calories lol
  • Antionettegut01
    Options
    :grumble: Im gonna tell you something really personal... I have been struggling for Anorexia for 4years now and IT SO NOT WORTH IT!!! Before i had it I never wished or even thought that i would struggle with this disorder, but it started with the same eating habits that you are speaking of. If you dont be careful, It can happen. I just RECENTLY got out of my 4TH Hospital stay of 3weeks because of my Anorexia. I Suggest that you eat 5-6small meals a day and boost your cals. up by at least 150 EACH day. Eating that low of Calories WILL Definately put your body into starvation mode and shut down your metabolism. Trust me, Im only speaking of Repeated experiences. I hope this doesnt come off too strong, I just dont want Anyone to go through the hell i have in the last 4 years. Good luck and i hope this helps.
  • SGFlyinHi
    SGFlyinHi Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Try some almonds. About 16 raw almonds = 100 cals. Or add some avocado to a meal, that will add healthy cals.

I try to eat every 3 hours, wether I'm hungry or not, though that usually is not a problem. I am on maintenance and eat about 2000 cals a day. Some days if I'm more active than usual I need to eat a little more and sometimes I do have a problem doing that, but by the end of the week, my cals tend to average out nicely.

Good luck. :drinker:
  • ylin
    ylin Posts: 16
    Options
    yup... not a good idea! your body's in starvation mode.

the first time i lost weight with mfp, i prob ate about 800-1000 cals a day, only because by the end of my day, i was too tired to eat.

i thought i was in the best shape of my life, but then i got sick. it took a while for my immune system to recover, and since then, when i get sick, i'm sick for 2 weeks! (i used to only be sick for at most a week)

so, i started eating more regularly like i had before i lost weight, and now i'm at the heaviest in my life... BECAUSE my metabolism slowed down and eating that little put my body outta whack.

exercise and make sure you get enough nutrients in your body! no one can take care of you better but yourself. good luck!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    No offense, but your food diary is scary. Yesterday, you had 1,675 remaining after your exercise...You need to readjust how you feel about food. Your body is a machine, and that machine needs fuel to function.
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    The only reason why yesterday i had so many calories extra is that i was at the zoo for about 8 hours walking all over that darn place and i was so busy chasing my kids around that i didn't eat much and i was just drinking water.. I also don't get hungry until about 5pm at night so when i got home i had a turkey burger with cheese and a salad.. I have days where i can eat all day long and then i have days where food makes me sick to look at it... Im also under at of stress right now so i think that's one cause of why i get hungry one day and then the next don't feel hungry at all..