Protein Shakes

Options
I tried a Hungry Girl recipe last night for a Protein Shake I found online and it was good. My only complaint was the ice took away from it. What can I use to thicken it and not make it horrible for me? I would love some suggestions from some more seasoned MFP people. Thank You!

Replies

• txsgirlK
    txsgirlK Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Did it already have yogurt? I use FF or unsweetened plain yogurt in my shakes. Just 1/2 a cup. Also frozen fruit helps thicken it. You can freeze fresh bananas or use unsweetened frozen fruit (cherries are awesome). I don't know what that recipe has in it so I don't know if that would make it "bad".
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    A little splash of xanthan gum will thicken it sort of like ice cream. But I add yogurt or fruit generally.
  • ACEgirl1
    ACEgirl1 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I was also going to say add a half cup of plain yogurt. It really thickens it up.
  • wally1uk
    wally1uk Posts: 120
    Options
    I make my own with a protein powder mix, milk, yoghurt, banana and frozen berries. If it's a little thick I'll add a bit of skim milk too :) It's yummy and very filling and under 300 cals :)
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    What was in the shake?
  • TeutonicKnight
    TeutonicKnight Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    http://almondbreeze.com/?navid=530&pid=536

Unsweetened Almondmilk Coconutmilk Vanilla! Oh so good and it thickens it up!
  • _Dan_
    _Dan_ Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I add a tbsp or so of peanut butter to mine, and they come out pretty thick
  • sj1229
    sj1229 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have just started counting calories so have not really seen any weight lose yet. But........I have a protein shake that I love. I put 1 cup of unsweetend Almond Milk, 1/2 cup frozen spinach, 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, 1/2 frozen banana, protein powder and fiber power. ( from arbonne) Love, love, love it. Can not taste the spinach at all.
  • qtpieprnsz
    qtpieprnsz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is plain fat free greek yogurt!!! Although I do like peanut butter in my shakes too!!! Good luck!
  • Jolenebib
    Jolenebib Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Yogurt, I also use frozen fruit with about 1/2 c. of water to get the cold, smoothie like consistency without the ice...I dislike ice in my smoothies.