Yogurt

Options
Is there such a thing as low carb yogurt? I never realised how many carbs was in a small (150g) low fat yogurt - 18g!! that's lots for a snack. it would need to be something can get in the UK.

Replies

• lynn1985
    lynn1985 Posts: 16
    Options
  • LoveLivingHealthy
    Options
    I'm not sure about the carbs but plain greek yogurt has everything in it that your body needs.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It varies from brand to brand - often the stuff that's added to flavoured and low fat varieties will be sugar (and therefore carbs), so your best bet is plain full fat versions.

I quite like soy yoghurts, which since they're non-dairy tend to be lower in carbs.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Depending on the brand name, plain 0% fat greek yogurt has approximate 6 g carbs....

I love plain greek yogurt, I mix in 1cup if fresh berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries) and 1 packet of splenda ( I know it is a sugar substitute, but one packets isn't going to harm me!) It is one of my favorite snacks...
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I thought it was just the natural sugars from the milk but a quick Google search shows low carb yoghurts such as Fage and Carbmaster (in the US I assume) so there may be some in the UK.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I would love an answer to this question too. Carbmaster is an American brand and they dont have it here! I'd love low carb yogurts! x
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    My muller corner i had today was 20g carbs and im only on 150 or less carbs a day! x
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    My muller corner i had today was 20g carbs and im only on 150 or less carbs a day! x

Zara are you in the UK?? I'm in Australia and we miss out on heaps of the good stuff too.
  • dododo123
    dododo123 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the carbs but plain greek yogurt has everything in it that your body needs.

I hope you realize what people try to sell you in the name of Greek Yogurt is just plain old strained yogurt. I hope you did not get tricked by the marketing that Greek yogurt is some sort of miracle food.
  • Sepheara
    Sepheara Posts: 208 Member
    Options

I hope you realize what people try to sell you in the name of Greek Yogurt is just plain old strained yogurt. I hope you did not get tricked by the marketing that Greek yogurt is some sort of miracle food.

you're a bit misinformed. Greek Yogurt might not be a "miracle" food, but it is better for you then regular yogurt. You are right, it is strained, which removews whey and water, making it thicker and creamier. it's also made with goats milk instead of cows milk, which is why it has more protien. Greek yogurt also has Less Lactose (hence less carbs).

So it is a bit better for you then regular yogurt, especially if you get it organic.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Many of the "Greek yogurts" you buy in the section near the yoplait are fake. They add some milk protein and call it greek.

Fage is 9g of carb for the plain, and if you are going low carb you'll want the plain. Greek yogurt that I buy is made with cow's milk.
    The only reason it's "better" for you is that it is more nutritionally dense.
  • malindaja
    malindaja Posts: 29
    Options
    so Im kinda new at this...
    So whats the difference if you get plain yogurt and add fruit or the fruit yogurt?
  • alheimurinn
    alheimurinn Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of the yogurt with fruit already added to it tended to have added sugars on top of the fruit that's in it.

I'm in the UK and eat the Fage 0% plain yogurt - which is actually Greek in the sense it is made in Greece, as well as is strained - and just add berries or grapes or other fruit to it for a snack/breakfast.
  • runs_in_heels
    runs_in_heels Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Dannon makes a version of their "Light & Fit" yogurt that is Carb & Sugar Control.
    It comes in Strawberry and Vanilla -- I greatly prefer the strawberry.

http://www.lightandfit.com/products.html
  • MMLong3996
    Options
    Whatever they do to yogurt to call it "Greek", I hope they keep doing! I've hated yogurt my entire life; just the smell of it has always disgusted me. I finally broke down and tried Chobani Greek Yogurt and I LOVE it. I enjoy most of the fruit flavors, and have replaced every recipe I cook with the plain or vanilla instead of using sour cream. We use it on chili, tacos, baked potatoes, etc. It's been a HUGE lifesaver to me and my family!!! :)

BW, I've tried several other brands of Greek yogurt and Chobani is the only one I can eat.
  • finz96
    finz96 Posts: 102
    Options
    Kroger Carbmaster yogurt! Unbelievably yummy, too! My favorite is the banana cream pie flavor!
  • steveclare
    Options
    Tesco Greek Style Natural Yogurt (cow's milk) is 6.6g of carbs per 100g - seems pretty low to me - one of the lowest I can find in the UK anyway.