Heart Rate Monitor Accuracy

Options
I am concerned that my HRM is not calculating my burned calories accurately.

I used to have a SportLine Duo, and it would calculate ~410 calories/class for a Turbo Kick class. I got rid of that one when I thought I didn't need it anymore, and put some weight back on. I decided I wanted another one, and did some research, and decided on the Polar FT4. I used it last night in the same Turbo Kick class, and it estimated my calorie burn at 715!!!

How do I know which, if either, is the most accurate? 715 seems like a lot. I am 5'6", been working out pretty regularly for about a year, and weigh ~125#.

HELP!

Replies

• katie133
    katie133 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have a polar FT4 and its very accurate for my cal burn. I love the watch. I dont know anything about your other hrm so i cant say
  • laurenwarwick
    Options
    bump
  • fionawilliamson
    fionawilliamson Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I just got my FT4 yesterday. Wore it this morning during my 30 min cardio - the same cardio i do every day. This website says i burned up 541 calories, my eliptical says 344 calories and my FT4 says 177. Needless to say i am very happy that i have my FT4, now i can keep track of calories in and out more accurately.
  • laurenwarwick
    Options
    I hear ya. I just got my FT4 yesterday. Wore it this morning during my 30 min cardio - the same cardio i do every day. This website says i burned up 541 calories, my eliptical says 344 calories and my FT4 says 177. Needless to say i am very happy that i have my FT4, now i can keep track of calories in and out more accurately.

i would be less concerned if the calorie burn calculation were lower than i thought, but 715 seems so high!!! i hope it's not over-calculating, because if it is it is throwing off my calorie goal for the day.

i am a little less worried now, though, because i wore it for an hour yesterday sitting and watching tv, and when i multiplied that calorie burn by 24, it came out to about the same as my basal metabolic rate, so that seemed pretty accurate.
  • winonajosephine
    winonajosephine Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've been looking into getting one of these HRM/Cal Calculater/Pedometer type watches and I have NO IDEA what is good or if any of them work... Is it best to have a chest strap or is it okay to do without? Please help! :)
  • c_hampagne
    c_hampagne Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been looking into getting one of these HRM/Cal Calculater/Pedometer type watches and I have NO IDEA what is good or if any of them work... Is it best to have a chest strap or is it okay to do without? Please help! :)

You definitely want one with the chest strap. The ones without one are no more accurate than what a machine spits out at you, an not worth the money. You don't even notice the chest strap once you put it on, but it's so worth it!
  • winonajosephine
    winonajosephine Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Do they fit okay under your clothes? Does it connect like a bra or is it plastic or what?
  • Rew808
    Rew808 Posts: 1
    Options

i would be less concerned if the calorie burn calculation were lower than i thought, but 715 seems so high!!! i hope it's not over-calculating, because if it is it is throwing off my calorie goal for the day.

i am a little less worried now, though, because i wore it for an hour yesterday sitting and watching tv, and when i multiplied that calorie burn by 24, it came out to about the same as my basal metabolic rate, so that seemed pretty accurate.

Check the Settings/User information/Sex is set correctly. The calorie count between Male and Female can be quite different.
  • bearxfoo
    bearxfoo Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I just got my Polar HRM and I'd say the calories burn is fairly on target. MFP says I burn around 700-ish calories while biking and my HRM put me at just under 800 after biking for two hours yesterday. Very very spot on.

I'd say it's accurate because it goes based off of your heart rate... and MFP, and machines are only assuming you're in a certain zone for a certain amount of time based on your speed on the machine. But since every body is different, I'd say something that reads your heart beat constantly would be way more accurate.