It's getting hot in here................

Options
It has been extremely HOT:mad: here in Michigan the past few days. I'm not complaining, I like the heat, but I don't have AC :grumble:

So, what are some tricks you use to stay cool???????????? :glasses:

Yesterday, I sat out in the yard in a tank top and these flimsy little pj bottoms. I used the hose to wet my head and feet as my neighbors stared :noway: and then sat down to read my book, when I dried, I got up and did it again....neighbors (mostly seniors) watched me like it was some sort of show:bigsmile:

Replies

• nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I'm in Michigan too. I'm so ready for the fall.

Anyway, we just don't move. We got a window ac unit from a family member about a month ago. So now we just turn that on and it cools our living room - we just stay in that room. Before that, if it was super bad we would go somewhere that had air. Or, if we had to be home, we just tried our best to keep the heat out, open the windows at night and close it up before it starts getting warm in the morning. Outside of that - fans, lots of fans!!!

We did buy one of those little pools with the filters on clearance too. We've only had that for about a week, but it serves its purpose.
  • d5d14m66
    d5d14m66 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Um, how hot are y'all talking about? I live in Austin -- July was the hottest month on record. Only 5 days that didn't reach 100 ° or above. Every day this week is supposed to hit 100-101. And we're in a terrible drought, so you can't even put a boat in the lake, most places.

Not trying to one-up you northerners, just saying to count your blessings! :smile:
  • Blossom01
    Blossom01 Posts: 658
    Options
    It reaches up to a 130 here where I live. However staying indoors or in a well air conditioned place is a plus.:wink: Drinking a lot of fresh water also helps. :drinker: Wetting a rag in cool water and padding my neck, wrist, and face also helps me to beat the summer heat as well as dressing in light colored clothes.:bigsmile:
  • Bigrye75
    Bigrye75 Posts: 13
    Options
    well im in michigan too and if u have a basement set up camp in there its usually cool in there and like the other person said fans
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I second the poster from Austin. I live in Canyon Lake, about 45 miles south of Austin. It has been sooooooo hot! I love hot weather but I am ready for fall too. My poor yard looks so bad. I feel bad for the grass!!!

Memaw
  • d5d14m66
    Options
    Grass? Oh, you mean that brown straw-like stuff on the ground! :smile:

Next week, we go into the next stage of water conservation -- one day a week, you can water before 10 a.m. and after 7 p.m. -- anything else has to be by hand-held hose or bucket.

Pray for rain, y'all. Please.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    Well, I did live through a couple Phoenix summers. I would say that its not as bad there. You HAVE to have a/c there. It's a must. Here, a/c is a luxury. A lot of houses just don't have it. So, while other places might be hotter, you almost always get to sleep in the coolness of a/c - not quite the same. Just sayin!

I've come to realize that I'm not a summer person. Me and Phoenix did not mix. I dread the summer months here too, but its a lot shorter time. So, no matter where you are - heat is heat. When you get no reprieve from it - it sux!!
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I don't mind the heat as much as the humidity, man that is a killer! There is a line in Eclipse where Bella Swan says...."I'd prefer to drink my water, rather than breathe it." So true!

I got a tip from someone that I thought I'd share. She said to get an industrial type fan and put it at the bottom of the basement stairs aimed to the top. I'm doing that today if it does actually rain, since I'll have to close up all the windows.

I honestly love the heat, but it has been tough to bare since I gained weight.:grumble:
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    So take off all your clothes
    I am getting so hot
    I wanna take my clothes off
    smiley_ladysinger.gif

Oh! Sorry :embarassed:

But since you now have the song stuck in my head for the day......I thought I'd get it stuck in yours as well evillaugh.gif
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I am getting so hot
    smiley_ladysinger.gif

Oh! Sorry :embarassed:

But since you now have the song stuck in my head for the day......I thought I'd get it stuck in yours as well evillaugh.gif

That song has been stuck in my head since the day I posted this question, :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • watermelon854
    Options
    Its been incredibly hot here in Atlantic Canada too....can you imagine it was almost 103 F with humidity here! Our office's A/C isn't functioning and I'm wearing a mandatory uniform that covers way too much.

I certainly had to take a few breaks, drink a lot of water and really concentrate on what I had to eat and exercise today...no outdoor exercise today and cold foods for dinner...it is too bad the weather will be like this all week! It is a terrible heat wave hitting through the North East of the continent!

Ohh! You know...Popsicles aren't too bad of a treat on days like these! Go get a multi-pack and enjoy!

:happy:
  • d5d14m66
    Options
    I feel for ya -- the humidity's what makes the heat here unbearable. It's like a sauna, and makes it hard if you have asthma.

I bought some Dr. Pepper ice pops the other day -- the little strip ones. Only 35 calories and 8 grams of sugar each! :smile:
  • watermelon854
    Options
    I feel for ya -- the humidity's what makes the heat here unbearable. It's like a sauna, and makes it hard if you have asthma.

I bought some Dr. Pepper ice pops the other day -- the little strip ones. Only 35 calories and 8 grams of sugar each! :smile:

I have never heard of those! I love Dr. Pepper but we don't even have the Cherry Doc. Pep up here in the Maritimes :cry: It's my favorite flav!

It looks like the humidity may break by Monday...but not after we get hit by Hurricane Bill!
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options

OMG!!!!! :noway: Dr. Pepper Ice pops!!!!!! I ..... Must ...... Find .... Them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • Saken
    Saken Posts: 476
    Options
    I am getting so hot
    smiley_ladysinger.gif

[/img]

and then send photos to me please
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options
    An attic fan will take a lot of the heat out of your house. Moving the super heated air out of the attic will cool the inside of your house quite a bit!
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I'm in Odessa Texas. We are HOT all summer !! I love the heat !!! We've only been here 2 years. We moved from northern Ohio. I do not miss th winters. Cindy :heart:
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    i visited LV the last week in July, 110* +. the air was so very dry, but i can take it over the humdity we have in Ia. something else i experienced is that i did not sweat as much or even get sun burn while there. strange. i could pry live there, but would have to come to iowa for fall and WINTER!!:bigsmile:

oh, and we keep our shades pulled all day long to keep the heat out, and use ceiling fans as well. i like to take a cool shower before bedtime :yawn: