5 days a week

Options
My mom thinks that working out 7 days a week is abit mutch Is 5 still to mutch?

Replies

• Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    My mom thinks that working out 7 days a week is abit mutch Is 5 still to mutch?

You need one rest day, so 6 is fine. So is 5. Just listen to your body, and don't overexert yourself.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you're doing in your workouts.

My swim coach would tell you that you could swim 7 days a week, twice a day if you wanted. Running, weights and other more intense / higher impact activities do need a recovery day each week (and recovery days between weight sessions etc) but you don't have to be idle on your recovery day, you can walk, ride your bike (easy rides - not at a time trial pace), swim - think active recovery.
  • JodieElijah
    JodieElijah Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I work out 6 days a week. I think you just need to listen to your body.
  • HisJellyBean
    Options
    I do zumba 4 days a week, monday tuseday thursday and friday.. Jillan fitness ultimatum 2009, on wendsday.. and wii fit games on saturday and sunday
  • methodless
    Options
    I try to work out twice a day 5 days a week

Some days I do have to turn down the intensity on the cardio a notch.

A typical day looks like this:

Workout 1:
    10 minute cardio warmup
    30 unproductive minutes at the weights (I think I rest too much between sets)

Workout 2:
    40-70 (skewed slightly to the lower end) cardio workout

I know I'm overdoing it when I cannot accomplish what I did on the previous weight workout or if I find myself needing to cut resistance more than a couple points on the cardio machine to avoid a drop of less than 15% in my calories per minute
  • aNEWmarcus
    Options
    The simple answer is to listen to your body. If you start getting aches and pains and you continue working at that level, then recovery and repair will take longer.

I'm still on 3times a week, shockingly bad as I need to up my game, but I am aiming for 5-6days a week with a rest day to recover and recuperate. That said, exercise such as swimming and cycling everyday is ok for you as well.

The key aspect I've been told is to ensure that everyday is different - that way your body doesn't get used to it. My trainer suggested I alternate weights and cardio each day (with each session also being different) and she also wants me to go for a walk or swim every morning and on my rest day to also make sure I get out for at least a 30min walk just easy, but to keep stretched etc..

Your body will certainly tell you if it's too much, just like mine did recently - I went up to 5times and increased the intensity and now have both Achilles (left) and Patellar (right) Tendinopathy - I thought I was just getting old ;)
  • HisJellyBean
    Options
    The simple answer is to listen to your body. If you start getting aches and pains and you continue working at that level, then recovery and repair will take longer.

I'm still on 3times a week, shockingly bad as I need to up my game, but I am aiming for 5-6days a week with a rest day to recover and recuperate. That said, exercise such as swimming and cycling everyday is ok for you as well.

The key aspect I've been told is to ensure that everyday is different - that way your body doesn't get used to it. My trainer suggested I alternate weights and cardio each day (with each session also being different) and she also wants me to go for a walk or swim every morning and on my rest day to also make sure I get out for at least a 30min walk just easy, but to keep stretched etc..

Your body will certainly tell you if it's too much, just like mine did recently - I went up to 5times and increased the intensity and now have both Achilles (left) and Patellar (right) Tendinopathy - I thought I was just getting old ;)

I do zumba fitness 1 on mondays and thursdays but on mondays its biginner 1 and thursdays is biginner 2 and tuesday and fridays are zumba 2