Breakfast/caffeine ideas?

Options
Hey all,

After reading lots and lots of posts about eating more calories, I've decided to take the plunge (and am terrified!). Instead of eating calories later in the day (which I'm oh so good at doing) :) I'm going to try to start out with a bigger breakfast and go from there. Currently I'm having instant coffee mixed in with a protein shake (160 cal, from Costco ... good stuff), but I think I likely need to loose the shake and replace it with something like a whole wheat English muffin, egg whites and a protein, but that leaves me with no way to enjoy my coffee.

I've always been a latte girl, but have managed to wean myself off (soy is my preference and I know I should not be having it every day). Anyone have any good ideas for ways to drink my coffee (other than with creamer/sugar). Are there any good flavor adding mixes that will give me some good stuff too (protein, etc) but that aren't a full 160 cal (like my current shake)?

Thanks!!

Replies

• acg1305
    acg1305 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

After reading lots and lots of posts about eating more calories, I've decided to take the plunge (and am terrified!). Instead of eating calories later in the day (which I'm oh so good at doing) :) I'm going to try to start out with a bigger breakfast and go from there. Currently I'm having instant coffee mixed in with a protein shake (160 cal, from Costco ... good stuff), but I think I likely need to loose the shake and replace it with something like a whole wheat English muffin, egg whites and a protein, but that leaves me with no way to enjoy my coffee.

I've always been a latte girl, but have managed to wean myself off (soy is my preference and I know I should not be having it every day). Anyone have any good ideas for ways to drink my coffee (other than with creamer/sugar). Are there any good flavor adding mixes that will give me some good stuff too (protein, etc) but that aren't a full 160 cal (like my current shake)?

Thanks!!

Have you tried it black? I hated it at first but I wouldnt have it any other way now, way nicer! Or to get a caffeine fix and do not want to opt for black coffee you could have a flavour infused tea instead? Twinings do some great ones that are delish.
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Im with you on this one. I really miss my frappe every morning but after seeing the calories (and recovering from the shock) I have moved on. Now no caffeine in the morning. As for eating more calories in the early part of the day...my opinion is that we need to eat in reverse. Your biggest meal should be breakfast, a smaller lunch and a adequate dinner instead of the other way around. Best of luck!
  • HotHol
    HotHol Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm a big coffee drinker in the morning too and had to kick the flavored creamers when I started my new eating plan. I usually have mine now with a bit of almond milk...and add a splash of vanilla or almond extract. There a flavored Splenda sweetners too you could try..
    As for Breakfest I usually eat whole grain eng. muffin with 2 egg whites (mic for 2 min ) and a dash tobasco sauce,,,and side of fruit...
    or today I tried 1/3 cup whole grain oats, with 3 egg whites, 3 tbsp water, (mic for 1.5 min) then added 1/2 cup blueberries and a tbsp of almond butter....soooooooo Nummy!!!
  • Ridumcowgirl
    Ridumcowgirl Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Starbucks. Venti iced ( unsweet green tea) and a turkey bacon breakfast sandwich ( whole wheat english muffin , egg whites, turkey bacon and cheese) I swing by there religiously every morning after the gym:o) VERY filling and YUM!
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    My FAVORITE breakfast is two scrambled eggs, two slices of turkey bacon on a whole wheat tortilla. (~310 calories and a LOT of protein) When I'm feeling a little bold I'll add some salsa to the mix or you could easily stir in some peppers, onions or other veggies. Just have that with your morning coffee, I either use sugar free creamers or just splenda and a little bit of skim milk. I like my coffee on the black/bitter side though.
  • KharismaticKayteh
    KharismaticKayteh Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Man. I actually consume too *few* calories because I'm such a light eater, but I love love love heavy cream in my coffee. Maybe I can use that to my advantage.
  • Abigaillee15
    Options
    Peanut butter in oatmeal! So satisfying!
  • farahsaleem
    farahsaleem Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    i eat wheat porridge made in milk without sugar.. its soo fulling and i dnt feel hungry at all till lunch time.. and offcourse a big mug of tea.. m not a coffee lover :)
  • em435
    em435 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Invest in some quality coffee you can brew. I did and now it tastes so good, milk would only ruin it!

Other ideas:
    Munch a few coffee beans (great taste and very few calories as far as I know)
    Espresso
    Vanilla extract
    I occasionally add a shot of vanilla espresso to my oatmeal too.. tastes amazing!
    Iced coffee with milk only, no added sugar.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Coffee with no sweetener and a little bit of whole milk. Been living off of this for a few years now and lost 40lbs in the process. Still can't drink it black unless it's a shot of espresso... Believe me I've tried... There's nothing diet-breaking about a splash of milk in a cup of coffee every morning, provided you account for it. It made a very small drop in the bucket for me overall because I made a lot of other more significant changes.
  • JenM28
    JenM28 Posts: 12
    Options
    Nice, thanks for all the ideas!!
  • SkettiGurl
    SkettiGurl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have coffee once and a while as a 'treat' so I usually get my caffine fix from some sort of infused green tea. Less caffine but I hate to depend on it! Good luck!