looking for waaaay beginner workout dvds

Options
Tried Jillian Michaels beginner DVD today. Let me just say I am crying now. My ankles are so weak jumping jacks are out of the question. I could not even manage one push up. Really just want to give up. Feels hopeless. I used to have (25 yrs ago!) a video called women at large, which was a bunch of heavy women exercising. That I could do. I need something much more basic. Or else suggestions to modify regular things

Replies

• Cwilliams8676
    Cwilliams8676 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Modify JM video If jumping jacks are to hard just do the arm movement?
  • jaena4
    jaena4 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Sadly, it doesn't look like this was ever released on DVD, but I started with this one a long time ago and remember it being very gentle and easy. The guy is a total dork but it's fun.
    http://www.amazon.com/Startin-Simple-Easy-Aerobics-VHS/dp/6303548946/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333638300&sr=8-1
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Try Leslie Sansone's walk away the pounds DVDs. Head to your local library and see what they have. I usually test drive my DVD's there before I buy them:)
  • yherrman
    yherrman Posts: 19
    Options
    I have started with Dancing off the inches - Salsa. I could only do half the video, and no jumping at first, but now I can go the whole half hour, but I still just tap out the jumping bits, but there is no floor excersises, which works out fine for me, as I would probably never get back up, lol. I sweat like crazy and it's fun!
  • mrsmangomum
    Options
    Do you have Netflix? You can stream different workouts or get them sent to your house. Helps you try before you buy and let's you mix it up!
  • iamfranniefierce
    iamfranniefierce Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Try Leslie Sansone's walk away the pounds DVDs. Head to your local library and see what they have. I usually test drive my DVD's there before I buy them:)

^^^^This!
  • Cwilliams8676
    Options
    i started not being able to do push ups too i did it daily and here at 9 weeks in can do a man push up i do 30 day shred alot but cant do jumping jacks now im injuried
  • terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    DO NOT GIVE UP! If jumping jacks hurt, then MODIFY! Walk in place and do the arm movements. After a month on Level 1, I still can't do a push up to save my life, but I can do them at an 30 degree angle! Do them against the wall if you have to. You WILL BUILD STRENGTH! I promise, it will get better if you do what you can, and then do a little more each day.
  • rchambers2072
    rchambers2072 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I need something that builds strength, or else I will NEVER master push UPS. Walking outside is something I do almost daily anyway, so a walking DVD would be wasted money, plus I already have one :) .
  • wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Try Slim in 6. It is a beachbody video, but I have found it on craigslist fairly cheap on multiple occassions. It has 3 different levels...and no jumping. Good luck to you!
  • Dnsnyder
    Dnsnyder Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could try Denise Austin Daily Dozen? I find Denise kind of annoying, but it's a decent short workout for a beginner. =)
  • Slhuth
    Slhuth Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I started out using the Leslie Sansone walk off pounds...highly recommend these for at home!
  • Cwilliams8676
    Options
    DO NOT GIVE UP! If jumping jacks hurt, then MODIFY! Walk in place and do the arm movements. After a month on Level 1, I still can't do a push up to save my life, but I can do them at an 30 degree angle! Do them against the wall if you have to. You WILL BUILD STRENGTH! I promise, it will get better if you do what you can, and then do a little more each day.

this times 100 Master girl push ups. I am not a small girl either (206 now)
  • PineappleMartini
    PineappleMartini Posts: 54 Member
    Options

^^^^^^100% this! I started with her and worked my way up through her harder videos. I'm now doing JM's Master Your Metabolism dvd and it's still a *huge* struggle but... I'm getting there!
  • Lrt4uk
    Lrt4uk Posts: 174
    Options
    My advice, keep at it. You may not be perfect at any of the movements, but you will find if you simply keep trying, you will get better. You'll be surprised how much stronger you'll get in a matter of days.

When I started Jillians DVDs, I couldn't do a lot, but I kept trying. That's key. Keep trying. You will never get where you want to be by making excuses about why you can't do the work.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Try the 10 minute solutions. They have workouts for yoga, pliates, weightlights, kick boxing. They are great because you can do 10 minutes and then take a break of to the next one. Each dvd has 3 workouts on it and they always modify the workouts for beginers so you can take it at your own pace.
  • lynzinnc
    lynzinnc Posts: 44
    Options
    I do Tony Horton's 10 Minute Trainer. I have a spinal issue, but am still able to do most of this workout. The moves are easy but you can definitely feel it!
  • rchambers2072
    rchambers2072 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for the pep talk! I CAN do this. Walked away and washed dishes. Tried standing push ups and I can do those. Also found my ankle brace, so will try it again. It didn't help that my suspended 14 yr old son kept coming into the living room watching me :/
  • terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for the pep talk! I CAN do this. Walked away and washed dishes. Tried standing push ups and I can do those. Also found my ankle brace, so will try it again. It didn't help that my suspended 14 yr old son kept coming into the living room watching me :/

I can understand about the son part. My son is 11 and he is NOT allowed in the living room while I am working out. :laugh:
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    There's a really fun collection of workout DVDs called "Flirty Girl Fitness." They basically take dance moves and incorporate them into an aerobics routine. It's supposed to be "sexy" (though I definitely don't feel sexy doing them!) but it makes it really fun because it's different from stereotypical aerobics exercises and the music is more modern and fun too. I started with "Booty Beat" which is my favorite of the videos. It's a pretty intense workout but it's fairly low-impact (no jumping, etc.) so it's easy on the joints (though there is a TON of squatting involved). The first few times I did it, I only did the "instructional" portion, where you practice the different moves. Now I do the whole video- the instructional part and the full routine (where all the different moves are put into one routine, which repeats 8 times). It only takes about 35 minutes to do the whole thing but I'm sweating within 5 minutes, so it's especially great for busy people who want a quick workout that is intense but low-impact.