suggestions for toning at home??

Options
I'm just finishing up Ripped in 30 and have gotten down to a nice size, however, although I'm at a good weight I'm still in need of tightening up (I believe the term is "skinny-fat"?). So I am in need of a new video workout. I know for toning purposes, lifting/strength training is key.

I would LOVE to get to a gym to use their weights and such, but with my busy schedule, at home workouts are much more likely to happen regularly.

Does anyone know of any good videos or at home strength training exercises that are good for toning? I know you can't spot train, but my abs would be my focus if I could haha Thanks!

Replies

• BassesGirl
    BassesGirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BassesGirl
    BassesGirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Anyone? :(
  • kelkir
    kelkir Posts: 20
    Options
    I'm kind of in the same boat, looking to tone up and work out at home. I do jillian michaels videos often, but i'm looking for something more challenging. I was thinking about getting some kettlebells and trying that (with videos), which are apparently good for toning and strength. But i haven't started yet, so I don't know for sure!
  • meggers127
    Options
    I'm with you guys. I have a feeling I'll be "skinny-fat" when I get to my goal weight. I'm doing the 30DS right now. If you want more of a challenge, I've heard p90x is a good one. There were a lot of students in my dorm last year doing it in the common area and it looked intense. Again, I haven't done it, but I heard that's a good one!
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Beachbody has some great programs for at home workouts, no matter the goals. For toning, the new LesMills Pump is a great and complete program.

http://teambeachbody.com/shop/-/shopping/LMpumpbase?referringRepId=133765

Other great programs would be Power 90, P90X or Rev Abs.

Pretty much to get the results you are looking for, make sure you are getting enough protein (.5-1g per pound of body weight) and resistance training.

I am a Beachbody Coach, so if you have any questions, please don't hesitate! :-)
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    bump. i need to do strength at home too. i've got resistance bands and have been thinking about buying some weights. curious what ideas folks have.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I use jillianmichaels.com for online circuit training. 30 day free trial and if you like it the cost is only $4.00 a week after that. It did wonders for me.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it but Insanity should do the trick and uses nothing but body weight. You could also Google body weight exercises. You don't need anything other than your own body to get firm and lean.
  • Pipergirl2
    Options
    There are a ton of videos on YouTube, that's were I get alot of new things.
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    I agree with HollyMac. Beachbody has great workouts to tone and build muscle. Like her I am a coach too. There are tons of us that you can ask questions to. I actually have moved my personal training focus away from personal one on one sessions to coaching with the Beachbody DVD's.

I am doing Insanity Asylum and it is crazy!!!
  • carsonx4
    carsonx4 Posts: 5
    Options
    also look at INSANITY, can be done at home and only thing required is a little bit of space...

...and i didnt read all of the post above mine...sorry
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    body rock tv!
  • butterfly10398
    Options
    P90X is AMAZING, i've heard good things about Insanity but never tried it myself.... I personally REALLY like Jillian Michaels DVD's, she has a SLEW of them... Abs, you could try 6 week 6 pack, but I think all of her DVD's really try to work on EVERYTHING... You could try no more trouble zones, or banish fat boost metabolism... But really ALL of JM DVD's are really great!
  • aehartley
    aehartley Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    the Nike Training App - if you have an Iphone... it is awesome :-)
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I'm a HUGE fan of bodyrock.tv, its absolutely FREE and they give you modifications to be able to do anything and everything without the equipment they use. The even better part is majority of the workouts are only 12 minutes a day! They do a ton of bonus videos too! I started to do it and then life got hectic, but I'm starting back up with their 30 day challenge on monday! I would definitely suggest for anyone to check it out
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    If you have an iPhone, I have really enjoyed the app Boot Camp Challenge. It uses body weight exercises or incorporates dumbbells or resistance bands if you have them available.
  • Reikofs
    Reikofs Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have used a combination of dumbells, resistance bands and TRX system. I also have been doing P90X for the past several weeks. P90X incorporates dumbells and/or resistance bands. It is great if u have limited space at home. TRX is a suspension system that uses your own body weight and u get especially a great core workout. I train with a personal trainer once a week and she incorporates all of these in her workouts. Make sure u push yourself, most females don't strength train hard enough because they are afraid to get bulky. Target 12-15 reps where the last 2 are super tough. Then u know u r lifting enough!
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    bodyrock.tv and zwow on youtube. Weight lifting (New Rule of Lifting for Women and stronglift 5x5 are highly recommended on here).
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/no-equipment-required-workout

These have been getting my butt in shape. Love it because there is no equipment!!!