Adult Tricycle

Options
Hi All.

My kids are really enjoying riding their bikes this year. I have a bike, however, it is more of a mountain trail bike. I have hardly rode it. I'm thinking about getting one of those 3 wheel bikes(trike). I know, granny bike. I'm 43 years old, I know!!! However, I think I would ride with my kids more if I was enjoying it as well. I hate having to bend over to ride, plus I'm just not "talented" enough to balance and keep my eye on the kids as I'm riding.

I really think I would enjoy a trike. Anyone else have one or now someone who does? How do they like them. I look at it as any exercise I'm getting has to be better than none!

I know I will get laughed out but I really don't care as long as Im comfortable and having fun.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If it gets you out the door and moving why not?

If it was just body position I was going ti suggest you look at some of the "comfort" bikes - you sit far more upright than on a mountain bike but if balance is an issue then the trike may be a better idea.
  • Xbwalker
    Xbwalker Posts: 65
    Options
    Forget that. I want one of those old school big wheels. The ones with absolutely no traction where the tires are just pure plastic.

Awesome times. Those things drift great downhill.
  • viclee1
    viclee1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    my husband has one, he LOVES it! he went this route because he had a spinal cord injury 13 years ago and still struggles with mobility/ nerve/ balance issues. His has a power assist so he can use it to aid him or completely do the work if he's fatigued. The store really emphasized the ability to carry/ haul with the basked on the back! lol they're becoming more and more common, but we still get some double looks when we're out and about, if you don't mind that go for it! His was quite costly but that's mainly the electrical components, I think a regular one would be more than a bike, but less than his was (best guess $500- $1000 depending on style, etc. but you'de have to research). Good Luck!!
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I might do this. I've tried learning to ride a bike, and every time it's just "**** it" but I like the wind in my face, and sticking my head out the window of a moving car is frowned upon.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I might do this. I've tried learning to ride a bike, and every time it's just "**** it" but I like the wind in my face, and sticking my head out the window of a moving car is frowned upon.
    You and I need to discuss motorcycles.....
  • alortega730
    alortega730 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I so want one too. I think it would be fun to use.
  • TundraTed
    TundraTed Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend you check out Recumbent Tricycles. I ride a recumbent trike and have for years. I absolutely love it and everyone I see thinks it is very cool. There are some very expensive ones, but also some reasonable prices ones. TerraTrike is a good brand to start with to get an idea of what they are.

I personally ride a TerraTrike Path that has been upgraded some.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    You and I need to discuss motorcycles.....

If I can't balance myself on a bicycle. You think I want to try and do it going 10x as fast? lol!