Carb/Prot/Fat Ratio

Options
I'm just wondering what a sensible Carb/Prot/Fat Ratio is? I have mine set for 40/30/30 - but I can never seem to eat THAT MUCH protien. Should I try harder? Or change my settings to something that is more attainable for me?

Advice appreciated.

TY!

Replies

• MrsORourke
    MrsORourke Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    bump
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Ratios aren't necessarily the best way to set up a diet, because the numbers can get skewed as calories change. I think it's more useful to have minimum targets for each macronutrient, and the only thing you need to worry about going "over" in is calories.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I have mine set at 50/25/25 right now :)
  • MrsORourke
    MrsORourke Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I thought it seemed skewed. :flowerforyou:
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    There's no standard, depends on your goals.
    I'm on cutting right now and my raio is 45/35/20 C/P/F
  • chicabean420
    chicabean420 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I also have mine at 50/25/25 as set to me by an old trainer I once had. Works well for me!
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    20 carb / 40 fat / 40 protein for me
  • DantheMan2517
    DantheMan2517 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Yeah I know. I could never seem to get. or want to get that much fat in my diet. I liked "Upon This Rock's" comment that it gets very hard to maintain. He made the point of concentrating on not going over in calories. That makes the most sense.

All these people who say "Oh I use a 40/25/30 ratio, works well for me". I think that's a load of crap.

Wish you success in finding out what works for you. That's what matters.
  • DrewMaxwell
    DrewMaxwell Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I'm using 40 / 40 / 20 (Carb / Protein / Fat) as my targets

Here are a couple of links that may help:

http://www.weightlossfoodslist.com/weight-loss-calculators/carb-protein-fat-calculator.html

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/nutrient_calculator.htm

and this was interesting reading, however, I don't think it made much sense (eating 65% fat) :(
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,683 Member
    Options
    All these people who say "Oh I use a 40/25/30 ratio, works well for me". I think that's a load of crap.
    Me too, because that adds up to 95, not 100. :tongue:

That said, 50/25/25 works well for me. No crap. :wink:
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    25/55/20 -- works for me but not recommended for everyone!
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    i never changed the settings for my carb/pro/fat- but i am to get as much protein as i can, due to my sports. i take a protein shake at breakfast and before sports to help boost my protein!
  • kvissy
    kvissy Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I do 40/30/30 and am pretty happy with it! Since the fats I'm taking in are good fats I'm not too scared of that number. If I find that I'm losing too slowly I may decrease carbs and increase protein...we'll see!