Eating more fat

Options
Gala30
Gala30 Posts: 2 Member
I think I have possibly an unusual position in that I don't get enough fat in my diet. The little I do have comes from dairy products, the salmon I have for a lunch and from a snack I have in the morning but often I only manage about 20g.

I don't really know how to eat more though; my goal is about 1350 calories a day which seems about right for me now (it seems I used to consume a lot more calories but in liquid form!).

How do I get more fat in my diet?

Replies

• jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    Have a look my diary...I get adequate fat..
  • fatguyweightloss
    Options
    Are you remembering to add oils used for cooking, if you are add more butter/coconut oil to your veggies.

If you like drinking your calories coconut milk is a good source of good omega-3 fats and easy to consume.

Lastly nuts which are easy to overdo especially in the almond flour form.
  • penroseg
    penroseg Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Avocado, nuts, nut butters, healthy oils, cheese. All yummy stuff!
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I use half of a mashed avocado mixed with tuna to replace the mayo. Or sliced onto a salad. There are lots of healthy oils to choose from too that can be drizzled on food or used to cook food with. Almonds are also a good choice.
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    Good fat sources:

Extra Virgin Olive oil
    Cashews
    Almonds
    Peanut butter
    Salmon
    Tuna
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Yes -- any kind of nut (peanuts aren't the greatest, but they work), any kind of nut butter (almond butter is a personal favorite), avocado, flax seed, coconut oil, flaxseed oil, extra virgin olive oil, sunflower seeds, fatty fish, tofu, eggs, olives, oil-based salad dressings, etc.
  • emisu2
    emisu2 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am doing ketogenic, and this was my lunch today:

avocado - so good
    2 Atkins Endulge peanut butter cups - SO good
    20 macadamia nuts - SO GOOD

Mostly fat, satisfying, and extremely tasty. Came in at 610 calories. My goal is under 1200 per day, and I plan on eating a lighter dinner. I am taking a "day off" from protein because I have been eating too much and got knocked out of ketosis. This is actually good for your body since it helps you clean out all your old worn out protein and start burning ketones, an more efficient fuel for the brain (actually preferred over glucose).

I am looking forward to getting back to ketosis where I'll be more alert, start losing water weight, and have that funny metallic taste in my mouth...

Weird post for all you non-low-carbers, I know... But these are just my post-lunch low-carb thoughts!

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/1/1/2

:glasses:
  • Gala30
    Gala30 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't like nuts so I'll have to pass on those but I will try the avocado and oils, thanks.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Almost 1/2 of my daily calories come from fat. Feel free to check out my diary if you like. (Just don't look at today, I don't know how that mac n cheese got in there).

Most of mine is animal fat, avocados, butter and nuts.