Semi-Injury Question...Any Experts out there?

Options
So a few weeks ago, I was running before work. Had my proper warm-up and a good pre/post stretchout period. Later on that day, I had this pinch on my left side, muscle around my floating ribs.
At first I just was like, "whatever, I tweaked a muscle." After another week, I still noticed it. It doesn't hurt, just is kinda irritating when I lean forward or back at the right angle. It feels muscular or like bruised, but no swelling evident. It doesn't hurt to the touch or when I cough. No other issues; i.e. no blood in the urine, intestinal problems, vomiting or whatever. On a pain level of 1-10....i'm talking about a 1 or 2.

I'm going on my third week now. It still feels kinda funny. I still work out. I layed off the area a bit; staying away from crunches and situps. Other than that, it doesn't stop me from working or going to the gym.

The only thing I can think of is I tweaked a muscle during my workout...or from sleeping on my left side? The hell if I know.

Went and saw a doctor yesterday. He told me what I already knew. Asked a bunch of questions. Basically has no idea. Just said to monitor it, if its still giving me problems or starts to hurt all the time...to come back in. Thank god I have insurance, 55 dollars for that tool to tell me something I already figured out.

So yeah.....WTF!?!?

Anybody else had this problem? suggestions? advice? I'm kinda perplexed.

chris

Replies

• CristinaMunoz
    Options
    I tend to get this same feeling after my PT test or when doing crunches for stamina( fast). I think it may just be like an irritation from the floating ribs connectinf with the muscle or hips depending on how hort your torso is. I have never been to the doctor for it. I always just kind of wait it out and all seems to be fine!! Maybe some icing though if it is a continual ache or ibuprofen.
  • CristinaMunoz
    Options
    i meant to say connecting and short! i cant type and think.:laugh:
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options
    Thats the weird thing, about the time I started feeling it....i hadn't been doing alot of ab exercises. I've never pulled a torso muscle from stretching or running. And its not even a pulled muscle feel, cause I've had plenty of those. Its like a pinch, thats the only way I can describe it. Not even a sharp pinch. Like a slight poke.

I started using some medicated hot pad yesterday and sleeping on my right side...just to see if that helps heal it up quicker.

Thanks for the suggestions.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Pains can be so weird and nebulous. I had one in my back. It was on the left side right below where the lungs would be. I thought I had pulled something. So did my doc. But it turned out to be a hiatal hernia!

I only found out when I had another surgery and got it repaired.

Turns out I had GERD from it too. But I thought the GERD was allergies because I didn't have heartburn and the symptoms were more like allergies.

Pain reflects too. Back pain can be from stuff in your front, for example...
  • xsargex
    Options
    Pains can be so weird and nebulous. I had one in my back. It was on the left side right below where the lungs would be. I thought I had pulled something. So did my doc. But it turned out to be a hiatal hernia!

I only found out when I had another surgery and got it repaired.

Turns out I had GERD from it too. But I thought the GERD was allergies because I didn't have heartburn and the symptoms were more like allergies.

Pain reflects too. Back pain can be from stuff in your front, for example...

That was my initial worry, was that it was a hernia. Though he checked around the area and presumed it was not. Like I said before....its right around where my floating ribs are and those muscles attach. It only makes sense that its nothing mroe than a strain. But can't ever be 100% certain. What a *****.
  • jlefton1212
    jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I had a similar issue a couple years ago with a pain in my lower back, and my doctor told me that I had a pinched nerve. I had to take it easy for two weeks and take an anti-inflammatory, and it cleared up.
  • MacMadame
    Options
    That was my initial worry, was that it was a hernia. Though he checked around the area and presumed it was not.
    Yeah, but you can't feel a hiatal hernia... it's on your esophogus! You can feel other kinds though.

Mine was discovered in an Upper GI. They said it was small and unlikely to have symptoms. But when I had my surgery, they discovered it was LARGE and SLIDING and it most definitely had symptoms and there signs of GERD too.

But I mentioned it as an example of how sometimes it can be tricky to diagnose something that has vague symptoms like back pain. Not because I think you have one. :laugh:
  • xsargex
    Options
    That was my initial worry, was that it was a hernia. Though he checked around the area and presumed it was not.
    Yeah, but you can't feel a hiatal hernia... it's on your esophogus! You can feel other kinds though.

Mine was discovered in an Upper GI. They said it was small and unlikely to have symptoms. But when I had my surgery, they discovered it was LARGE and SLIDING and it most definitely had symptoms and there signs of GERD too.

But I mentioned it as an example of how sometimes it can be tricky to diagnose something that has vague symptoms like back pain. Not because I think you have one. :laugh:

Nah I understand what your gettin' at. I guess what I meant by my initial concern was that it was something that seems like small and nothing, but that undetected or overlooked could be something worse. I have no idea what GERD or GI is.... point being, something with relatively no low pain isn't always just nothing. I dunno. I'm not dying, so whatever, hahaha.
  • MacMadame
    Options
    GERD is a fancy acronym for a fancy way of saying acid reflex. :laugh:

An Upper GI is when they take a moving x-ray of your upper gastro-intestinal track -- it's from the mouth down to the stomach.
  • xsargex
    Options
    GERD is a fancy acronym for a fancy way of saying acid reflex. :laugh:

An Upper GI is when they take a moving x-ray of your upper gastro-intestinal track -- it's from the mouth down to the stomach.

welp, learn something new everyday. :drinker:
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options
    Perhaps a chiropractor visit could help. You can have pain in your hand from a vertebrae in your neck. Pain in your foot from The sciatic nerve having pressure on it. Get it checked, be healthy.
  • xsargex
    Options
    thats an interesting because the pain shoots right to my middle finger, i'm gonna go see a chiropractor ASAP. That'll crack the health right back into me.
  • czewwhat
    Options
    How nice. The pain in your ankle transferred to your finger! Perhaps it is a psycho semantic issue. There are doctors for that too!
  • xsargex
    Options
    How nice. The pain in your ankle transferred to your finger! Perhaps it is a psycho semantic issue. There are doctors for that too!

I honestly don't believe in chiropractic adjustments. I tried it once, because I thought it was just simple joint manipulation to relieve pressure on certain area's. Then I started to ask the doctor some questions about the methods..he started telling me all this quasi-philosophy about how it resets the central nervous system like rebooting your computer and a bunch of non-sense. That was the first and last time I ever went. Maybe all doctors aren't like that, but whatever. Not for me.

By the way, the pain is gone. I used some heat packs, slept on my right side, and started getting some more rest the last few nights....presto-blamo
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options

I honestly don't believe in chiropractic adjustments. I tried it once, because I thought it was just simple joint manipulation to relieve pressure on certain area's. Then I started to ask the doctor some questions about the methods..he started telling me all this quasi-philosophy about how it resets the central nervous system like rebooting your computer and a bunch of non-sense. That was the first and last time I ever went. Maybe all doctors aren't like that, but whatever. Not for me.

By the way, the pain is gone. I used some heat packs, slept on my right side, and started getting some more rest the last few nights....presto-blamo

Sounds like your doctor also had some education in massage therapy, because that's what I hear when I go in for massages. Never heard it from my chiropractor though:laugh: :laugh: All I know is that before I went to the chiropractor, I had severe migranes, and now I don't get them any more. Even if he did feed me a line about rebooting my central nervous system, I'd still see him, because I know it works for me!

Glad to hear you're not hurting anymore though!
  • czewwhat
    Options
    How unfortunate you had a bad experience. I am so happy you feel better. My chiropractor has made a huge difference in the quality of my life. I do not believe in putting toxins (drugs) in my body when it is divinely designed to heal itself. My children were adjusted their whole lives. It took my son a severe asthmatic child from trips to the emergency room and constant drugs to drug free, healthy and graduated high school with a track and field scholarship!

Each of us does find their own unique path though. No preaching about chiropractic, just saying it works for me. Again, happy you are no longer sore and feel better.
  • xsargex
    Options
    Well like I said...i've never had anyone really explain to me the medical approach to Chiropractic procedures. I had a friend who went to Chiro school and he came back this total post-hippy, eastern medicine nutjob. I mean, whatever he learned or atleast what he practiced had nothing to do with medicine, it was just a bunch of mumbo jumbo. I've known alot of people that have completely ignored "basic medical care" and common sense to have their kids adjusted to fix minor problems like ear infections. I grew up with ear infections all the time, I'd take my medicine and ear drops, bam I was good. These kids were sick ALL the time. Its like "okay you tried chiropractic alignment, its obviously not working, meanwhlie these kids are suffering". Just total child neglect. I can't stand behind that, just to throw a middle finger at the medical community and save face for chiropractic wonders.

On the other hand, I'm with the two of you though. I find myself being very skeptic with using medicine as the first and only remedy for everything. I stay away from the doctors as much as possible. I have to practically be dying before I ever step foot in a hospital. I don't take anti-biotics unless its really really necessary. I get VA benefits and I don't even use them, even though its free to me.... why? cause I'd go in with a tooth cavity and come back out with my leg amputated. Seriously, those doctors are insane. And people wanna go to a Universal Health care system? EFF THAT! We can't even take care of our soldiers properly for christ's sakes. People wanna fork over their entire health to the government. That is really the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Reform is great, but this current health bill is a sham in sheep's clothing.

Czewwhat. I actually 100% agree with you on the toxins. Granted, I eat meat and dairy, so i'm sure alot of vegans would give me a rash of *kitten* about toxins and how I poison myself. Whatever. I like to eat. But I've abstained from drugs, alcohol, and tobacco my entire life. I'm not saying that I'm better than anyone else or that make some some super-star. Cause it doesn't. But I recognize that my body doesn't need it, therefor whats the point of adding additional vices to my life that are completely unnecssary. I'm not preaching to anyone else who partakes in a drink now and then. Just saying, for me....it works.

Good discussion.
  • czewwhat
    Options
    My whole approach is balance. I would not go to the chiropractor for a flesh wound, but we have become a society that has too many pills. Your liver has to detoxify to get it out of your system. My kids had both, but when in pain from joints, misalignment etc. Pills don't fix it, they mask it!

Pain tells you something needs fixed. I was in a really bad accident years ago after months of pills that did nothing, I tried Chiropractic. It worked marvelously for me, no more pills, and my life improved with every adjustment! Maybe it is a combo of it all, healthy food, reasonable care of the body, enough sleep. That is what makes sense to me. I never let a child go without meds for an ear infection and they were vaccinated as well. Balance, that is what worked for me. Vegetarianism is a choice I never made, Raised on meat!
  • MacMadame
    Options
    My children were adjusted their whole lives. It took my son a severe asthmatic child from trips to the emergency room and constant drugs to drug free, healthy and graduated high school with a track and field scholarship!
    My son had asthma too. He's never been to a chiropracter and now he's a HS grad and doesn't have asthma.... kids grow out of asthma all the time when their lungs get bigger.

I'm fine with using a chiropracter for skeletal alignment problems but the idea that aligning your spin will cure everything under the sun isn't supported by the weight of scientific evidence.
  • czewwhat
    Options
    My children were adjusted their whole lives. It took my son a severe asthmatic child from trips to the emergency room and constant drugs to drug free, healthy and graduated high school with a track and field scholarship!
    My son had asthma too. He's never been to a chiropracter and now he's a HS grad and doesn't have asthma.... kids grow out of asthma all the time when their lungs get bigger.

I'm fine with using a chiropracter for skeletal alignment problems but the idea that aligning your spin will cure everything under the sun isn't supported by the weight of scientific evidence.

You are entitled to your opinion, however after 4 generations of people who never did out grow their asthma, My son is drug free, healthy and Asthma episode free. The nerves in your body support its healthy function, pinch off the nerve, no healthy nerve function. I am active pain free and healthy, my sister, who is just 18 months older than myself has fibromyalgia, arthritis and a number of health issues. She thinks Chiropractic is Voodoo too! I get to be healthy, she gets to die more comfortable with all her drugs and a seriously toxic liver from them.

It is very interesting to note that the word Diagnosis is from two latin words Di and Agnosis which means to get a diagnosis from the medical doctor you are getting " to Not know" or a guess!. Death from wrong diagnosis and improper drug prescriptions is at the top of causes of death in the USA. I choose health, drug free living. Every nerve in your body goes through your spine, no healthy spine, other health problems emerge. The autopsies at Harvard prove that. Every time Medical doctors try to disprove Chiropractic, they validate it instead. It is interesting that the doctors of the USA hold most of the Major stocks in drug companies and it is their financial interest for you to remain sick, they profit more when you are. And the Pediatric association states sublaxated vertebrae in the necks of new born infants may contribute to SIDS. I believe in my choices because I chose to get informed and make a healthy choice. In 1910 Science said there was no such thing as a Gorilla! Science is often wrong!