For Those on the Body By Vi bandwagon

Options
You may find this article interesting. http://www.davidmodderman.com/blog/index.php/weight-loss/body-by-vi-is-it-all-hype/

It's a bit lengthy, but it's a decent read. I've never tried Body by Vi, and after reading this, I have no desire to.

Replies

• Starzy696
    Starzy696 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My best friend swears by this stuff. She tried to get me to use it, but I turned it down. It didn't seem at all healthy to me...
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I can say that my mom has been doing this for a month, exactly as she should have and has gained 2 pounds and has some side effects of the soy in the shake mix.
  • chicabean420
    chicabean420 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I think people get so caught up in the "I'm gonna be skinny" thing, that they fail to look at the health costs. I'm guilty of this too. I was on Herbal Magic for awhile, and sure, I lost weight, but looking at what I was "allowed" to eat? I bet I barely ate 1000-1100 cals a day. AND I WASNT ALLOWED TO EXERCISE.
  • hedleyrocks247
    hedleyrocks247 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this, I am looking forward to the read! I have no desire to try the program myself, as I don't really believe in any type of "diet" - but I'm always curious about these products that pull people in and supposedly give quick results. I have contacted numerous people about the body by Vi program but it seems that if you are not "interested" in purchasing, no one talks. Which is a RED FLAG to me!! It seems almost "cult-ish". My thought is, if the product is sooooo great then you would want to tell everyone about it at all times, and not just in a "meeting" situation with a room full of strangers. Anyways, I'm looking forward to this, and I'm sure that my original feelings will be validated :) Funny how you always hear about the successes of these programs, but never the failures, or the year to 2 year follow-ups to see where they are now???? Things that make you go "hmmmmmm"...... :)
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    And the Haters enter, stage Left....

Good luck not getting hit by a *kitten* storm of lashings!

No, I'm not a BBV person, although I am a high protein person. EAS and Premier Nutrition do the trick for me. Good ol' Sam's Club!!

:)
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    The husband and I have friends trying to get us to buy this stuff. I'm on the fence but my husband thinks its a good idea since he doesn't have time for breakfast and would like a shake if it would keep him full. Thanks for posting. I'll print this off for him to read too.
  • chicabean420
    Options
    Let them lash out. If they're too stupid to read all sides/angles on their fav product, then that's their problem.

When you buy a car, you look at the reviews. Safety ratings, fuel consumption, etc. Why don't we take the same exact care when it comes to the "diet" we're following. BBV, Herbal Magic, Dukan Diet, 17 Day Diet, Atkins, etc it doesn't matter. BE INFORMED. It doesn't hurt.
  • LadyRush
    LadyRush Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    That is an interesting article. I have been on the Body by Vi shakes for over a month. I love the taste and the amount of protein. I'm really a middle of the road type person. I use it as a meal replacement in the morning because it's convenient and tastly. At lunch I use it in addition to a salad, veggies, low fat cheese etc. Since I started the shakes and added addiitonal physical activity and generally watching what I eat I have lost almost 13 lbs. But no, I am not a maniac about it, I have not joined the challenge and I am not interested in selling it.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Interesting article. I am a body by vi users and I have been for about a month, for me I just take the shake after workout since I'm a vegetiarian it helps me in get in protien without the whey that my body just can not digest. I know the product works for me but I would never sell it or promote it.
  • HIITTheChallenge
    HIITTheChallenge Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I use the body by Vi product and this article has a lot of misinformation. Also, contrary to what this article suggests this is a great protein to use post work outs to repair your muscles. They have stacks available for all fitness goals which is why my friends who work at bodybuilding.com as trainers here in Boise use this protein as well. They are not allowed to promote it, because of their contract there but they purchase and use it. I have done a ton of research and used a lot of other products before switching to it and here is why:

A low sugar protein.
    A lot of protein out there has a lot of sugar between 15-30 grams. If you want to burn FAT not just lose weight, (losing weight comes sometimes from losing water/muscle) then you have to minimize the sugar you consume, because any time you ingest sugar your body has to use energy/fuel to burn through the sugar first before it can get to the fat and even begin to burn the fat. Most of the time our bodies run out of energy before we can even get to the fat burning mode.

A very clean pure protein

A low sodium protein

A protein without a lot of fillers:
    If you read the labels on a lot of protein on the market today you will find that a lot of proteins use gelatin to spike the protein content. Gelatin is great for beautiful skin and hair but does not aid in building muscle.

A lot of proteins also use milk protein or milk powder which is great for building strong bones but also does not aid in building muscle.

An easy digestible protein:
    A protein that is lactose free, gluten free, wheat free, are all a plus for me.

A protein blend that is absorbable:
    High protein content is not always better, because unless that protein is actually absorbed into a cell and penetrating the cell membrane then it does nothing for you, you can ingest it all day long and you are basically going to just pee it out. You end up not getting the benefits you think you are getting. A lot of protein powders contain whey that is not absorbable in fact only 75-80% of most whey proteins are absorbale.

Here is what I found works:

A Trisorb protein blend: A unique blend of highly absorbable proteins.
    Whey Protein Concentrate + Whey Protein Hydrolysate + Non-Gmo Soy

I know the first question I am going to get asked is WHY SOY?
    First of all the soy I am talking about is Non Genetically Modified Soy (Non-GMO) that has been processed to remove isoflavones that can impact estrogen, which causes this protein to work great for people who usually can't do soy. Soy is also a complete protein and it is easily digestible, it is great at reducing cholesterol and c-reactive protein. In scientific studies Soy has been proven to build muscle just as good and in some cases even better than whey proteins.

Why Whey I thought whey was not absorbable?

The whey I am talking bout are very pure clean sources of Whey protein in the form of whey protein concentrate and the newest technology in whey protein hydrolysate. This is the most concentrated and "clean" "pure" protein on the market today and it is very expensive. This protein is clinically proven to build lean muscle. The FDA also allows it to be called a "fat loss accelerant". This is the only protein on the market that the FDA allows to use that claim. This protein is specially formulated to remove fat, lactose, and carbohydrates.

A protein that adds in Aminogen:
    Aminogen is a patented and clinically tested amino acid and digestive enzyme, that is proven to aide in protein absorption and digestion. Aminogen is very important to athletes and bodybuilders, and now you don't have to go else where to buy it, because it is already included.

They then combine these three sources of pure clean protein and add in Aminogen that work together synergistically and are scientifically proven to work together to penetrate your cells, so you are literally absorbing every single gram of protein you are ingesting and it is burning lean muscle while burning fat. There is nothing else on the market that does that.

Maybe you are wondering why building muscle is important?
    It is important to build muscle because muscle burns fat, as people age they think their metabolism is slowing down which it is, but it is really only slowing down because people no longer have the muscle they need to continue burning the calories they used to burn when they were younger. Did you know that for each pound of lean muscle we have you will burn an extra 35 calories a day while at rest. Muscle is what burns fat in your body. You can reignite your metabolism at any age by just building some lean muscle.

Maybe you are thinking you can just go to the gym and build muscle... let me reassure you your diet plays a huge role in the way you look, you can work out a ton but if you continue to make bad food choices you will never be able to burn through that sugar to get to that fat and you will stay the same. Working out will only change your body 30% while diet will change it by 70%, which is why this protein causes so many changes for people who don't exercise.

A protein with a patented fiber blend so you can feel full and also works not just as a protein shake to aide in your post workout recovery, but also works as a whole meal replacement, so it will save you money and costs only $1.85/meal.

Unbelievable nutrition
    In order to get all the nutrition in one protein meal you would have to eat the following:
    1.5 Cups of chopped broccoli
    13 whole eggs
    5 medium peaches
    2.5 chicken breasts
    1.5 C frozen yogurt
    1.5 C bran flakes
    18oz tomato juice
    1.5 C shredded romaine lettuce
    5oz cooked lima beans
    15 slices whole wheat bread
    20 spears of asparagus
    1c brown rice
    2c sliced mushrooms
    30 apples
    5c chopped celery (10 whole stalks)
    3.5 medium tomatoes
    3 pineapples
    30 prunes
    Where to get this protein:
    Choose Visalus as your meal replacement or recovery protein:
    The visalus meal replacement shakes work because they help you to build lean muscle so you can ignite that furnace in your body and burn through more fat throughout the entire day. That is why you want to have as much lean muscle as possible.

You may be thinking why not just eat real chicken, veggies etc. First of all it would be very expensive and you would have to eat a lot of food to get the nutrition found in one replacement and you can't find it an any garden around, and 95% of the population today have fast paced busy life styles, on the go and do not have the time or sometimes even the energy to make healthy food choices, so having convenient, healthy clean, pure, protein available to them anytime and anywhere makes a huge difference to their health and fitness success not to mention all the benefits you get from it!

This protein is safe for pregos, nursing moms, people with high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and diabetics alike and will even help reverse health issues!

I use this protein and I still eat my 1800 calories a day and I have lost 17 lbs in 2 months.

A ton of my personal trainer friends use this and my body building friends like I said it is a pure protein. Yes it does use splenda but splenda is the safest on the market with all the controversy and it is in very minimal amounts even my friends at bodybuilding.com cook with splenda and so do I!
  • HIITTheChallenge
    Options
    Has your mom had a body composition done? Maybe she is not eating enough. Read my post on the protein.
  • breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE this post! Sooooo many of my Facebook friends are selling, preaching and living by this!! And I can't seem to understand it! What good is skinny if you aren't healthy?! Excellent article! Thanks for sharing!
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I've joined the BBV challenge, and I'm not a maniac about it but i can tell you that it works. I've lost 5 pounds in 1 week, and i've only done 1 day of exercise. Its more about nutrition than anything. I think that everybody has something that works for them. i eat 1400+ cals a day, and I love it. I think being fanatic and NOT informed about calories hurts more than any product you take. I was stalling at eating only 1200 cals which is what MFP put me at.
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    My SIL sells and uses this product. She swears by it, I avoid it like the plague...no, not because I think it is demonic or anything...LOL...

You see...I think it is "fine" for a quick fix. I, however, am not interested in a quick fix. I am changing my lifestyle. Sure, I can do any "meal replacement plan"...then what happens when I actually eat instead? Kapow! the weight comes back.

Now, if you are morbidly obese, then sure, the risks involved with some of the "questionable" ingredients may be less of a risk then you are already facing with your current condition. So, as a jump start to your journey, I think it may be a good thing. However, I don't see it as a fit for me.

Again, promoters, I am not saying your product sucks...i am saying to stop telling everyone it is the have all and end all, cause it is not for everyone.

Ta ta :bigsmile:
  • hollin40
    hollin40 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE this post! Sooooo many of my Facebook friends are selling, preaching and living by this!! And I can't seem to understand it! What good is skinny if you aren't healthy?! Excellent article! Thanks for sharing!

I AGREE!! I have FB friends trying to sell it and it's annoying BECAUSE they know I'm trying to lose weight. They tell me the weight is falling off of them and I should do it too because I should be losing more each week than "just one pound".....I don't want to lose a truckload in a week. I have done well on my own since January. 18 pounds lost and 2 sizes down is pretty good for "doing it slowly" and "doing it the hard way." There are no magic potions. You have to WANT IT to do it AND stay with it.
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I've joined the BBV challenge, and I'm not a maniac about it but i can tell you that it works. I've lost 5 pounds in 1 week, and i've only done 1 day of exercise. Its more about nutrition than anything. I think that everybody has something that works for them. i eat 1400+ cals a day, and I love it. I think being fanatic and NOT informed about calories hurts more than any product you take. I was stalling at eating only 1200 cals which is what MFP put me at.

MFP is only a suggestion. If you follow your nutritionist and/or your doctors guidelines, then it may be different. Most people on MFP or similar sites will automatically put they want to lose 2 pounds a week...so, of course the formula is going to put you on a lower calorie scale. HOWEVER, if you go by the recommended 1 pound per week, or just aim for your BMR, then you should have higher numbers.

Just info :)
  • breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member
    Options

I AGREE!! I have FB friends trying to sell it and it's annoying BECAUSE they know I'm trying to lose weight. They tell me the weight is falling off of them and I should do it too because I should be losing more each week than "just one pound".....I don't want to lose a truckload in a week. I have done well on my own since January. 18 pounds lost and 2 sizes down is pretty good for "doing it slowly" and "doing it the hard way." There are no magic potions. You have to WANT IT to do it AND stay with it.

I'm with you! :smile: Besides.... your 90-day challenge is up and then what?! I want a LIFESTYLE CHANGE, not a diet. I want to be healthy from now on. Yes, it's taken me just over a year to get where I am now, but there's no time table. This is me. This is my life. I feel better and I can continue with it. And congrats on your loss! That's awesome!
  • chicabean420
    Options
    It's not always about what works.

If you're pumping your body with synthetic chemicals and proteins and the like, that's your own business. Just because it works, doesn't mean it's healthy. That's all.
  • laurelderry
    laurelderry Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I use the body by Vi product and this article has a lot of misinformation. Also, contrary to what this article suggests this is a great protein to use post work outs to repair your muscles. They have stacks available for all fitness goals which is why my friends who work at bodybuilding.com as trainers here in Boise use this protein as well. They are not allowed to promote it, because of their contract there but they purchase and use it. I have done a ton of research and used a lot of other products before switching to it and here is why:

A low sugar protein.
    A lot of protein out there has a lot of sugar between 15-30 grams. If you want to burn FAT not just lose weight, (losing weight comes sometimes from losing water/muscle) then you have to minimize the sugar you consume, because any time you ingest sugar your body has to use energy/fuel to burn through the sugar first before it can get to the fat and even begin to burn the fat. Most of the time our bodies run out of energy before we can even get to the fat burning mode.

A very clean pure protein

A low sodium protein

A protein without a lot of fillers:
    If you read the labels on a lot of protein on the market today you will find that a lot of proteins use gelatin to spike the protein content. Gelatin is great for beautiful skin and hair but does not aid in building muscle.

A lot of proteins also use milk protein or milk powder which is great for building strong bones but also does not aid in building muscle.

An easy digestible protein:
    A protein that is lactose free, gluten free, wheat free, are all a plus for me.

A protein blend that is absorbable:
    High protein content is not always better, because unless that protein is actually absorbed into a cell and penetrating the cell membrane then it does nothing for you, you can ingest it all day long and you are basically going to just pee it out. You end up not getting the benefits you think you are getting. A lot of protein powders contain whey that is not absorbable in fact only 75-80% of most whey proteins are absorbale.

Here is what I found works:

A Trisorb protein blend: A unique blend of highly absorbable proteins.
    Whey Protein Concentrate + Whey Protein Hydrolysate + Non-Gmo Soy

I know the first question I am going to get asked is WHY SOY?
    First of all the soy I am talking about is Non Genetically Modified Soy (Non-GMO) that has been processed to remove isoflavones that can impact estrogen, which causes this protein to work great for people who usually can't do soy. Soy is also a complete protein and it is easily digestible, it is great at reducing cholesterol and c-reactive protein. In scientific studies Soy has been proven to build muscle just as good and in some cases even better than whey proteins.

Why Whey I thought whey was not absorbable?

The whey I am talking bout are very pure clean sources of Whey protein in the form of whey protein concentrate and the newest technology in whey protein hydrolysate. This is the most concentrated and "clean" "pure" protein on the market today and it is very expensive. This protein is clinically proven to build lean muscle. The FDA also allows it to be called a "fat loss accelerant". This is the only protein on the market that the FDA allows to use that claim. This protein is specially formulated to remove fat, lactose, and carbohydrates.

A protein that adds in Aminogen:
    Aminogen is a patented and clinically tested amino acid and digestive enzyme, that is proven to aide in protein absorption and digestion. Aminogen is very important to athletes and bodybuilders, and now you don't have to go else where to buy it, because it is already included.

They then combine these three sources of pure clean protein and add in Aminogen that work together synergistically and are scientifically proven to work together to penetrate your cells, so you are literally absorbing every single gram of protein you are ingesting and it is burning lean muscle while burning fat. There is nothing else on the market that does that.

Maybe you are wondering why building muscle is important?
    It is important to build muscle because muscle burns fat, as people age they think their metabolism is slowing down which it is, but it is really only slowing down because people no longer have the muscle they need to continue burning the calories they used to burn when they were younger. Did you know that for each pound of lean muscle we have you will burn an extra 35 calories a day while at rest. Muscle is what burns fat in your body. You can reignite your metabolism at any age by just building some lean muscle.

Maybe you are thinking you can just go to the gym and build muscle... let me reassure you your diet plays a huge role in the way you look, you can work out a ton but if you continue to make bad food choices you will never be able to burn through that sugar to get to that fat and you will stay the same. Working out will only change your body 30% while diet will change it by 70%, which is why this protein causes so many changes for people who don't exercise.

A protein with a patented fiber blend so you can feel full and also works not just as a protein shake to aide in your post workout recovery, but also works as a whole meal replacement, so it will save you money and costs only $1.85/meal.

Unbelievable nutrition
    In order to get all the nutrition in one protein meal you would have to eat the following:
    1.5 Cups of chopped broccoli
    13 whole eggs
    5 medium peaches
    2.5 chicken breasts
    1.5 C frozen yogurt
    1.5 C bran flakes
    18oz tomato juice
    1.5 C shredded romaine lettuce
    5oz cooked lima beans
    15 slices whole wheat bread
    20 spears of asparagus
    1c brown rice
    2c sliced mushrooms
    30 apples
    5c chopped celery (10 whole stalks)
    3.5 medium tomatoes
    3 pineapples
    30 prunes
    Where to get this protein:
    Choose Visalus as your meal replacement or recovery protein:
    The visalus meal replacement shakes work because they help you to build lean muscle so you can ignite that furnace in your body and burn through more fat throughout the entire day. That is why you want to have as much lean muscle as possible.

You may be thinking why not just eat real chicken, veggies etc. First of all it would be very expensive and you would have to eat a lot of food to get the nutrition found in one replacement and you can't find it an any garden around, and 95% of the population today have fast paced busy life styles, on the go and do not have the time or sometimes even the energy to make healthy food choices, so having convenient, healthy clean, pure, protein available to them anytime and anywhere makes a huge difference to their health and fitness success not to mention all the benefits you get from it!

This protein is safe for pregos, nursing moms, people with high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and diabetics alike and will even help reverse health issues!

I use this protein and I still eat my 1800 calories a day and I have lost 17 lbs in 2 months.

A ton of my personal trainer friends use this and my body building friends like I said it is a pure protein. Yes it does use splenda but splenda is the safest on the market with all the controversy and it is in very minimal amounts even my friends at bodybuilding.com cook with splenda and so do I!

I understand that this has worked for you- and am not knocking your efforts at all. However- as stated in the article many of the ingredients are NOT good for you on their own- i.e. soybeans. As a huge advocate of avoiding GMO foods in general I eat entirely from scratch- organic foods- but still avoid things like soybeans, even from the organic side of the spectrum.

In my search for "pure" whey protein without all the added crap- I found the Organic Whey. It has a single ingredient. I bet you can guess what it is.... just whey, from grassfed cows. http://theorganicwhey.com/

I get all my vitamins and nutrients from whole foods (i.e. fruits and veggies) and don't even take a multi vitamin anymore because I'm generally over on all of these each day just from eating raw foods. Products like this are USELESS if the rest of our nutrition is better regulated.
  • HIITTheChallenge
    Options
    I think it is interesting that we cannot reply or question this man about his post.