Subway store calories, Help

Options
Nikki_42
Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
I can't find this answer in all my searches. Subway's nutrition calculator on their site has a sandwich I love at 258 calories if I get it the way I like.

Everytime I look up that sandwich (6" chix teriyaki) for my food diary, all the responses are over 400 calories. I can understand one or two people putting the wrong info up, but all?? And they are close enough to my topping that there is no way the difference should be that big.

So do I trust the official Subway website (it's a nice calculator) or the majority of posters who entered the information??

Replies

• chicabean420
    chicabean420 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Go with what's on their website.

I'm not sure where you live, but in Canada, a 6" Sweet Onion with no cheese on whole wheat is about 280 cals,
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    To be honest I dont trust some of the things other people put in. I have found General Tso's chicken with zero grams of protein (really it is chicken how can it not have protein?)

I try to use the sites nutritional info - that would be a tad more realistic than what some input in here.
  • regina2063
    regina2063 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    i went to subway today and went by their website. I pulled it up before i went for lunch. .i figure they did all the research already.
  • Nastasha915
    Nastasha915 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You can create the sandwich yourself on MFP with your personal ingredients. You just go to "Foods," "My Foods," "Create Food," Input Restaurant and Food Description (Do not use Subway or any real brand. You have to create a made-up name or it will call it a duplicate and not imput it. I use Nastasha's Restaurant for all my additions) and click continue. It may give you options from the database, just ignore this and click "No This is not a duplicate." Then input the information from the Subway website, or whatever food you are inputting. You can add this to the database or not, but with the odd name there really is no point in adding it. Now, though, when you go to "my foods" your list of additions will always be there. So if you eat that sandwich frequently, you can just click on it from your list.
  • Nikki_42
    Options
    Okay now Subway is kinda pissing me off. My six inch 248 calorie sandwich:

chix teriyakis
    9-grain wheat bread
    provolone
    lettuce
    red onions
    light mayo
    sweet onion sauce

BUT when I printed it out (using their own sites print option) it jumped to 470 calories.

So their "serving size" which literally says "Default nutritional values are based on the standard 6" sub recipe" is complete BS!

Here is the link: http://www.subway.com/Menu/Product.aspx?CC=USA&LC=ENG&ProductId=4&MenuId=35&MenuTypeId=1
    What a fraudulent way to do that.
  • Nikki_42
    Options
    Great, now I feel crazy 'cause when you click the link it's updating like it was doing it all along. I quit. :-/ I'm going to trust MFP posters from now on.

chix teriyakis
    9-grain wheat bread
    provolone
    lettuce
    red onions
    light mayo
    sweet onion sauce

BUT when I printed it out (using their own sites print option) it jumped to 470 calories.

So their "serving size" which literally says "Default nutritional values are based on the standard 6" sub recipe" is complete BS!

Here is the link: http://www.subway.com/Menu/Product.aspx?CC=USA&LC=ENG&ProductId=4&MenuId=35&MenuTypeId=1
  • WorkingMyButtOff
    Options
    Go with what Subway's calculator says. I just had Subway yesterday and my sandwich was less in calories than what was listed on MFP ( I noticed if people listed ingredients on their sandwiches they had cheese and mayo listed -- I didn't have any cheese or mayo).
  • mrsangelC
    Options
    Go with Subways website info.
    Better to be honest and possibly record more calories than you eat for one day.
    Unless, of course, you eat it everyday.
    If it is an occassional sandwich, then don't stress over it.
    It will all work out in the end.
  • Nastasha915
    Nastasha915 Posts: 124 Member
    Options

chix teriyakis
    9-grain wheat bread
    provolone
    lettuce
    red onions
    light mayo
    sweet onion sauce

You were looking at the serving size. It's 248g
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    chix teriyaki 170 (sandwich - cals for bread)
    9-grain wheat bread 210
    provolone 50
    lettuce 0
    red onions 0
    light mayo 50/Tbl
    sweet onion sauce 40

if you don't get extra mayo/sweet onion sauce/cheese, that's about 520 cals.

When I get Subway, I get the 6" veggie on white (white has fewest cals) with no cheese or dressings. When I get home, I sometimes add my own cheese which is only 35 cals a slice.
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    You were looking at the serving size. It's 248g

Agreed.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    on the website that amount is usually with no cheese and no sauce. people have entered their own sandwiches usually because people always get cheese and mayo. I finally had to make my own up which included cheese but no mayo.

and yes it looks like you are looking at the weight. Because my sandwiches are about 410 for a 6 inch.