Pizza

ADM1979
ADM1979 Posts: 105 Member
I love pizza. I love breakfast pizza, veggie pizza, meat pizza, I love it all.

but it is so high in calorie.

does anyone have a recipe for a lower calorie pizza?

Replies

• Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,134 Member
    We make them on whole grain wraps or tortillas sometimes. You can top the way you like, lower fat cheese, meat, veggies, etc. I still like the old English muffin pizzas my mom made as a kid - you can make them with whole grain muffins.

I eat low carb so I'll make a pizza on a large pepperoni slice! Just top with cheese & sauce.
  • MissLuana
    MissLuana Posts: 356
    Sorry but nope...do what I do, eat like a bird on the day you know you're having pizza, work out like a beast at the gym, then enjoy 4 slices of whatever pizza you got without any regrets because you have the calories for it. Ohhh, and drink a lot of water afterwards because pizza and canned chili is NOTORIOUS for sodium...enjoy
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    I look for pizzas that offer thin crust since the crust tends to be where the calories are packed. My homemade pizzas use flatbread for the crust.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Make your pizza at home and use the recipe tool in MFP to calculate the calories per serving. You can play around with the ingredients to get the cals down to a reasonable level. I would recommend limiting the cheese and loading up on veggies. Although turkey pepperoni is a pretty good option and lower fat than the regular. Try lean chicken in place of sausage. That might cut it down a little.

My hubby LOVES my homemade pizza, and I use pepperoni and sausage for him. But we usually only have it on a hiking day, when we both have like 2000 exercise calories to burn. ;)
  • We make home-made pizza too, sometimes with french bread, sometimes crust from scratch, and sometimes on tortillas. We cut back on cheese, fill up with veggies, or just plan to work out and eat less during to day so we can enjoy!
  • herangel3
    herangel3 Posts: 29 Member
    I use pita bread or flat bread, pizza sauce, turkey pepperoni (you wouldn't know its turkey) and low fat mozzerella or even italian cheeses. bake for about 10 minutes at 350 and it is yummy. Dont' have all the numbers in front of me but its about 400 cals. You can be really creative with these home made pizzas that are tasty and not a lot of calories.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 833 Member
    I use sandwich thins for the crust and low fat cheese, then make sure to load it up with veggies.
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    I don't want to ruin a good pizza so the days I have I make room for it within my daily caloric intake. I want to eat it and enjoy it without taking all the good stuff out?
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Flatbread, pitas and tortilla's. Use low fat parmesan cheese instead of Mozzarella cheese and add fresh tomatoes and other sauteed veggies. Not as good but not as fattening
  • sunshine__angel
    sunshine__angel Posts: 366 Member
    I like to make English muffin mini pizzas! Generally an English muffin is around 130 calories, and I use Primo traditional pizza sauce (45 cals per 1/4 cup!). Decorate with a bit of cheese and/or some veggies and you could have two mini pizzas (one English muffin cut in half) for under 200 cals! I put them in the oven at 350 degrees for about 7 minutes (or until crispy/cheese is melted). Delicious! :)