Are you able to save calories for another day?????

Options
Hi,

Just a quick question everyone....

Some days I am exercising alot and have alot of left over calories ....am I able to save those for another night for an extra splurge of chocolate cake or wine????

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    yes.

plain and simple.
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I think so. I believe that's what you call zigg-zagging... If you count weekly cals then it shouldn't matter.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    good 2 know thanks
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    yes, your body works more on a week to week system, rather then day to day. i've had days where even if i worked out i wasn't that hungry, or i burned 1000+ calories in a work out. but i don't need to eat them all. however on the next day, i've i'm extra hungry, i know why, and i eat.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I believe the best method is a daily calorie count but I do know individuals who do a weekly calorie count. Just be consistent.
  • jfcarlson713
    jfcarlson713 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Even though I track my calories and exercise daily I really only pay attention to weekly numbers. Therefore, I guess you could say I "save" my calories for another day.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Yes.....I saved some from yesterday for Cicis tonight.
  • Deathangl13
    Deathangl13 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you can remain in a calorie deficit on a weekly basis instead of each day. Little less tedious too.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Lots of people do this, they look at their calories for a week instead of a day. As long as you're not starving yourself.
  • agleckle
    agleckle Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Yes. Your body doesn't "restart" over night with the clock... it is works continuously. Some days you don't hit your calorie goal and some days you may go over a bit and it all evens out in the end.

Personally, I find it much less stressful to look at things in one-week increments rather than ond-day increments. As long as my whole week balances to hitting my 1500 calories per day, that is what I care about. One day I may only eat 1250 but then the next day I may eat 1750, but it balances out.
  • lunchgirlie
    lunchgirlie Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Yeah, ever since I started paying closer attention to my weekly deficit I've started losing more on a consistent basis. I do a "spike" day every Saturday that I "save up" for. It works for me!
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I try to look at my calories on a daily and weekly level. So it kind of resets on Monday, but I will sometimes balance my calories from the beginning of the week, all the way to the weekend.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    yep, I look at my calories over the course over a week. over some days and under the next.
  • Deathangl13
    Deathangl13 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind people, time is not a biological concept in the linear sense. It's man made. it's not like your body knows what 10pm is. That is why when you hear people say "Don't eat after 7pm." I always ask, how does my body know what 7pm is? It's a made up concept, like the tooth fairy, Santa Claus, Bigfoot, and religion.
  • smrtcar
    smrtcar Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I save my extra calories for booze on the weekend. By booze, I mean a couple of beers or a bottle of wine at dinner.
  • Emmabulliemum
    Emmabulliemum Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have and not had any adverse weight gain as yet! just be mindful of what you eat x
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Never thought of it like that but I think I'd still feel more at ease "closing out each day" and knowing I'm on track.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    You can up to a point.

But, if you have a calorie deficit of 500 calories every day for a week, you are going to lose a pound. If you then go out and eat those calories all in the next two days, you will gain a pound. So clearly you can't bank forever. You have a few days to play with, maybe up to a week.

The only thing to be careful of is that many people keep to a rigid diet during the week and then let loose on the weekend thinking they have banked enough to have some treats and most of those people don't lose weight because they are eating their entire week's deficit back up during the weekend without realizing it.

This is why MFP is go great -- you can't fool yourself like that if you track your food every day!
  • najla56
    najla56 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    really? wow that just opened a huge door of oppertunities:)

just to be clear, so if i have a 200 cal defecit yesterday and 200 cal defecit today, I can eat a 400 cal DBC?
  • agleckle
    agleckle Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    really? wow that just opened a huge door of oppertunities:)

just to be clear, so if i have a 200 cal defecit yesterday and 200 cal defecit today, I can eat a 400 cal DBC?

This depends on what you mean by 'deficit'.

I eat 1500 calories a day, which is already a 300 calorie deficit from my 1800 calorie maintenance goal. So, if I eat 1250 calories one day, creating a 250 calorie deficit on top of my original 300 calorie deficit, I will save those extra 250 calories and eat them another day if I feel like it. BUT, I will not eat my original 300 calorie deficit back another day, because that would not allow me to lose weight.

For me, my 1500 calories per day means I have a 300 calorie a day deficit average over the week. So, as long as I keep my average at 300 calorie/day deficit over the course of the week, I will play with it... and if it means a 450 calorie deficit one day so I can eat more and only have a 150 calorie deficit the next day but it still evens out to 300 calorie deficit per day over the week, then so be it. The weekly look at things doesn't work for everyone but it works for me.

*Edited for spelling. Also, I "reset" my count after one week. If I had an extra 150 calories two Tuesdays ago, I don't use those. I only pay attention to the current Monday - Sunday week.