Anyone had a Breast Reduction?

Options
I have dropped 52 lbs to date. I have a breast reduction scheduled for this friday. NONE of my weightloss came from my breasts. I am a 36DDD and absolutely cannot wait to get rid of this suckers. I am asking if anyone has had it done before and would love to know what to expect.

Thanks!

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    YES!!!! Best decision I ever made.

Sore from surgery, could immediately feel the relief in my shoulders after surgery, in recovery.
    I went from an overflowing 36DDD to (now) 34DD. They are substantially smaller, so I really musta been much larger before and not realized it.

The drainage tubes weren't bad. Emptied them daily. One clogged. When removed, it allowed the clog to come out and was "messy". NOT PAINFUL. Weird sensation but not painful.

I was tender for a LONG time. "Tender" like swollen PMS breast. I was hyper sensitive in my nipples. Drying with a towel after a shower was painful. It went away within 4-6 weeks.

A year and a half later, I am still HAPPY to have had a reduction!!!
  • marlenec7
    marlenec7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello, I also had a breast reduction 15 years ago. Best thing I have ever done for myself. I was the same size as you are and I am now a comfortable 36 D. I have now lost 15 lbs. and I seem to be keeping my cup size but loosing in mid section. Go for it!!!!
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    i am the same size. if i havent lost at least SOME of them after i lose my 25 pounds, i will be researching some surgens.

lauryn, did you have the surgery before or after your baby?
  • bettersusan
    bettersusan Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Please let me know how it goes. It is something I have thought about for years also. I used to be a 36DD before kids. I thought they were too big then. I am now a 36G. My back hurts. It's horrible when I try to run. I have to wear larger clothes because my breasts are too big to fit into the size I would normally wear. It's SO hard to be modest because I practically have to wear a turtle neck not to show. I wish you all the success in the world and will be interested in hearing about your progress. Good luck!

Susan

254666.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • pniana
    pniana Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I am interested in a lift more than a reduction but all of these responses are good to hear. I was a 36 G when breast feeding and after having kids and now weight loss, I am a 34C/D. I swear I am only a D because they need to scooped and lifted into my bra. Curious about loss of sensation in the nipple area. Did anyone lose that completely. I know it is a side effect risk. :blushing: (ok, that was a little embarrasing to ask but I am curious).
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    lauryn, did you have the surgery before or after your baby?

After. But I have full sensation and look as though I will have no issues breast feeding in the future (should there be another kiddo).

I made sure to tell my surgery I wanted perky breasts. (Sorry if this it TMI guys! :laugh: ) I even took a marker (day of my surgery) and wrote him a note (on my boob :laugh: ) that read, "Make 'em perky, Doc! =) " Yeah, enough room for THAT message on the underside of one breast. I'd SAY I needed a reduction!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    I am interested in a lift more than a reduction but all of these responses are good to hear. I was a 36 G when breast feeding and after having kids and now weight loss, I am a 34C/D. I swear I am only a D because they need to scooped and lifted into my bra. Curious about loss of sensation in the nipple area. Did anyone lose that completely. I know it is a side effect risk. (ok, that was a little embarrasing to ask but I am curious).
    My sister also had a reduction. She didn't lose sensation either. It is a risk involved though.

I don't have much sensation on the scar lines themselves. Very typical. The scars have faded substantially.

I would ABSOLUTELY do it all over again.
  • Slc311
    Slc311 Posts: 1
    Options
    I had one in December of 2007. I too could never lose weight in my breasts, but always gain weight their. It was the best thing I have ever done. Before I constantly had back pain and just always hated them because I could never get my clothes to fit right. I went into surgery wearing a 36G and after all the sweeling went down started wearing a 36D and I am currently wearing a 36DD. My advice for after surgery is too start icing right away and don't stop. As sson as i got home I put ice packs on (I just sat in a recliner and laid the on top of me), then when those would get warm I would go get another set out of the freezer ans switch. My docot told me to keep my elbows at my sides for 7 days which was difficult but I think it helped with the scarring and stretching. I idin't have any pain really and only took the pain meds for the first 3 days. Hope this helps and let me know if you have any specific questions.
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    lauryn - thanks dear :flowerforyou:

i have no clue if i will ever have a kid or not, but my concern is having it done BEFORE then having to have something else done AFTER, like a lift or something. a co-worker had her's done and had no issues after having her daughter but i know every one is different. maybe thats something to discuss in the conseltation with the doc. :bigsmile:
  • Road2Hotness
    Options
    I got a breast reduction last year in April. At that time I weighed about 245 lbs and was a size 42DDD...Hell maybe even a DDDD! LOL!

The doctor could not tell me @ what bra size I would end up at all they could tell me is how much fat they took out which was about 1.5-2.0 lbs EACH. They told me that it would be right around 3 months that I would know at what cup size I would be at. Yes...This is true. Right around 3 months I bought my first bra and I was at a cup size of a C. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!! So much weight off my back is a beauuuuuuuutiful thing.

To be honest I did lose a lot of nipple sensation. Not all of it but a good portion of it. I really don't care though. Nothing beats getting rid of the back pain, the strap marks and the depressing time shopping for a cute bra. I'm now at a 38 C.

~ Rachel ~
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    My wife had a reduction about 15 years ago. She's a member here, maybe she'll chime in.

She was a G cup, 36 or 38. Really heavy. Doc took almost 4 pounds and got her down to a big C-small D. The scars were pretty ugly for a year, then a little better, after a few years she passed "the 10 foot test" (from 10 feet away you can't tell). She feels great and looks great and is very happy.

About the nipple sensation. As the doc explained it to us, there are 2 ways this surgery can be done. If you are not too elongated and just have very full breasts - he can do the keyhole incisions, remove tissue, lift the nipple and make the anchor suture and you're fine. Nerves to the nip are basically untouched, and you should retain sensation.

If you are very elongated then that may not be an option. Doc will have to basically remove the nipple and areola and set it aside, rework/rearrange breast tissue and remove skin, sew the nipple back in position and hook up blood supply. In this case the nerves were severed and you'll be pretty numb.

He took a tape and measured from the spot in the middle of the upper chest where the collarbones come together to the nipples. There is some guideline - "XX centimeters, rearrange,,, YY centimeters remove & reattach". My gal was right on the line, but she's pretty tall and we mentioned that sensation was important and he did the less invasive procedure.

Good luck - you're gonna be very happy once it's all healed up. Don't cry when you see your scars, they'll get better.
  • bootsnspurs4horses
    Options
    I have been approved by my insurance for this surgery, and am in the scheduling phase of it now. How long were you off work?

I'm only 36DD. . .and borderline, but my insurance is backing me and I'm so relieved. Very anxious to get it done. . . . no matter what size I end up !! ! ! I have a small frame and not comfortable in anything I wear or do ! ! ! It's down right embarrassing ! ! !

I'll be free to run again, to ride a horse again. . .
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    I have been approved by my insurance for this surgery, and am in the scheduling phase of it now. How long were you off work?

I'm only 36DD. . .and borderline, but my insurance is backing me and I'm so relieved. Very anxious to get it done. . . . no matter what size I end up !! ! ! I have a small frame and not comfortable in anything I wear or do ! ! ! It's down right embarrassing ! ! !

I'll be free to run again, to ride a horse again. . .

Lucky you! I had to fight and appeal through my insurance company TOOTH AND NAIL but I won!!

Most women are off work for 1-2 weeks. I was off 3 weeks due to hypersensitivity, then had a complication with a medical and non-related pre-existing condition and was off another 4 weeks or so :laugh:

If they put in drainage tubes (which I believe they do in most cases), you have little tubes with bulbs at the end to catch drainage as you heal. These come out within a week, if memory serves. That is probably the main reason to be out of work.... I wouldn't want to be sporting those bulbs at work! :noway:
  • bootsnspurs4horses
    Options
    My doctor said it's the one sugery no one regrets !!! Or they wish they had done it way before now !!!

I'm only 44. . . and really get embarrassed by my size. It's the first thing everybody notices. . . .

I'm just ready to have them cut down and get on with my healthy life ! ! ! !
  • samantha115
    Options
    Im just going to say Im jealous that all of you never lost your boobs. Ive lost 30 pounds and it seems like all of it, ok not all but it seems like it, has been my boobs. I miss them. Mine were never as big, just 38dd, but I love them just the same. now if I was to buy a bra then IM sure it would be a c. :cry: I miss my boobies.
  • ThatDollSally
    ThatDollSally Posts: 473 Member
    Options

Lucky you! I had to fight and appeal through my insurance company TOOTH AND NAIL but I won!!

I really don't understand insurance companies. I have a male friend who had a breast reduction that the insurance company had no problem paying for. His wife, who is covered under his plan, has very large breasts and is having to fight for them to pay anything for the surgery!
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I had one 6 years ago. Went from a DDD to a C. NO REGRETS! Couple things they may not tell you...
    1. You automatically get a lift, NICE!
    2. If you have side boob, (extra breast tissue further onto your side than most people, not an entire extra boob on your side) your surgeon may not remove it. It's not much of a big deal beyond the fact that you will notice it. It is NOT noticeable with clothes on, and most people think it looks like a little fat roll)
    3. If you have a wide breast plate, you may have trouble find bras that fit. As I said, I'm now a C, but it's really tricky for me to find bra cups that are wide enough, but aren't too deep. JCPenney has a brand that fits me great!
    4. THERE IS SCARRING! duh, but just prepare yourself. It will fade with time, but it's a significant amount of cutting they have to do.
    5. DO NOT RUSH THE HEALING PROCESS! I went back to work after 2 weeks, overdid it some, and ended up with an abcess. It healed, but the scar isn't the prettiest thing.
    6. Make sure your surgeon is an expert of breast reduction..not just breast implants. Seems obvious, but you'd be surprised at how many surgeons don't do that many reductions. Also, make sure he is a certified Plastic surgeon, not a cosmetic surgeon.

If possible, I suggest waiting until you're really close to your goal weight. It will especially benefit you in the "breast lift" part of the surgery. If you have back issues, like I did, then go for it, but as with all surgeries, try to get as healthy as possible before. Eat right, take your vitamins, DON'T SMOKE! Good luck!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    I had one 6 years ago. Went from a DDD to a C. NO REGRETS! Couple things they may not tell you...
    1. You automatically get a lift, NICE!
    2. If you have side boob, (extra breast tissue further onto your side than most people, not an entire extra boob on your side) your surgeon may not remove it. It's not much of a big deal beyond the fact that you will notice it. It is NOT noticeable with clothes on, and most people think it looks like a little fat roll)
    3. If you have a wide breast plate, you may have trouble find bras that fit. As I said, I'm now a C, but it's really tricky for me to find bra cups that are wide enough, but aren't too deep. JCPenney has a brand that fits me great!
    4. THERE IS SCARRING! duh, but just prepare yourself. It will fade with time, but it's a significant amount of cutting they have to do.
    5. DO NOT RUSH THE HEALING PROCESS! I went back to work after 2 weeks, overdid it some, and ended up with an abcess. It healed, but the scar isn't the prettiest thing.
    6. Make sure your surgeon is an expert of breast reduction..not just breast implants. Seems obvious, but you'd be surprised at how many surgeons don't do that many reductions. Also, make sure he is a certified Plastic surgeon, not a cosmetic surgeon.

If possible, I suggest waiting until you're really close to your goal weight. It will especially benefit you in the "breast lift" part of the surgery. If you have back issues, like I did, then go for it, but as with all surgeries, try to get as healthy as possible before. Eat right, take your vitamins, DON'T SMOKE! Good luck!

1. You do get a lift. It's very nice to go from huge saggy boobs to reasonably smaller regular boobs! :laugh:

4. There is a lot of scarring, depending on how you heal (individual results). In a low cut top, you can see my scars between my boobs, in the center of my chest (like in a halter). They have faded white and probably only I notice them but they are there. The scars extend under my arm TO MID TORSO. Waaaay back. Yes -- they go back that far, and they are visible (barely) in my tankini. Doesn't matter -- the scarring is worth the relief!!!

6. My plastic surgeon works primarily with BREAST RECONSTRUCTION after breast cancer. He is a perfectionist as well. He is fabulous. If you are near NC, contact me and I'll give you his name and number. I'd recommend him to ANYONE.

PS- I had to quit smoking before I even started the processing. Smoking decreases healing effectiveness, and Blue Cross Blue Shield would not approve a breast reduction for anyone who smoked!! The doctors refused if you were a smoker as well! A worthy reason to give up smoking! :drinker:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    Also, do your research online looking through photos results. (Just be careful to stick to reputable medical websites or there is no telling what you will see!!) But look at the before and afters so you get a realistic image in your mind of what to expect. They don't come out like implants.....
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Also, do your research online looking through photos results. (Just be careful to stick to reputable medical websites or there is no telling what you will see!!) But look at the before and afters so you get a realistic image in your mind of what to expect. They don't come out like implants.....

Good advice - however,,,

Those pics on the doc's websites are usually shot at the follow up visit, 6 or 8 weeks post-op. Some are even shot the day they pull out the drain tubes. The scars at that point are about as bad as they'll ever be. To get some idea how your scars are going to look - examine other places where you've had surgery or stitches. How do you scar? Some (lucky) people just have flat scars with faint little lines - some have big raised skin and unsightly marks, depends on your body. That's how your B-Redx scars will look after a few years,,, not like those poor gals on the website. They look like a horse drug 'em thru a bob-wire fence, but it doesn't last.

My wife put off her surgery for a lot of years 'cause those damn pix scared her - she didn't want to look like that. She felt strongly enough about it that she actually went back a year later and had the doc shoot her again. "Show these to those scared young girls" she said. :smile:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    If anyone were scared of the procedure just because of the scarring, I'd be glad to take photos of my scars and share them. I had my surgery 12/31/2007.

(I can take photos of the scars without showing any real "boobage". They'd be pictures I'd be comfortable showing my own parents!!)