30 Day Shred, Ruff on my knee!!!

Options
I can only do one day of the 30 day shred by Jillian. My knee is so sore I can't do two days in a row. This is just level one!!! Has anyone else had this problem? Or is it, I'm just so overweight it's hurting the knee? I'm 5'1 at 161 lbs. Any advice would be great, and any other DVD's that might be easier on my knee!!!!
Thanks for your help
Shannon

Replies

• Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm a little smaller than you, but this is why I no longer attempt the Shred. I sprained my right knee a while back, but both knees were hurting.

I switched to weights.
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" and was 175lbs when I started the 30 DS, I was able to get through the whole thing with no breaks and I have bum knees. Are you sure you are doing the exercises correctly? I couldn't do the plyometrics in level three so I just went with Anita's modifications. Stick to the mods and don't push too hard, work your way into it slowly.

Are there certain exercises you are noticing it more with?
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    It is probably a combination of a bunch of factors. Weight obviously plays a large role in hurting your joints. I suggest you listen to the statements about proper form. You can really hurt your knee and other joints if your knee sticks out over your toes during lunges or squats.
  • wdruker
    wdruker Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I also seem to have problems with my knees hurting with the Shred DVD. My right knee bothers me the most. Level 1 is not as bad as level 2. On level two I stopped doing the planks where you have your knees hopping back and forth up. My knee was in extreme pain after that. I think we should follow the girl that doesn't go crazy as Jillian said. She mentioned if you have knee problems follow whatever her name is. The girl on the right that doesn't go into the full move. So that's what I do when there are exercises that involve the knees. Otherwise, follow the other girl that goes full strength! : )

I'm 140lbs and 5'6". I am considered in a healthy weight zone, but I am not comfortable with the muffin middle that I have. So I am trying to lose 15 lbs at least.

Good luck with your knees!
  • Nikkei24
    Nikkei24 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    What kind of surface are you doing it on. I tried it on my carpet and it hurt a tiny bit but only for like one exercise.
  • terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Go through it really slowly a few times and practice your form. DO NOT let your knees go over your toes in any of the moves. Stick that booty out when doing squats and lunges and put your weight on your heels. Practice practice practice and modify when you need to.
  • jacquirich
    jacquirich Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hi I love Jillian Michaels but also developed pain in one knee (why one I don't know), nearly all they other DVD's are easiers on the knee but then have burpee and planks which are hard on the wrists LOL

I alternated the workout with other in her series - and took glucosamine, and it did improve as I got stronger
    It may be worth not doing the jumping jacks and replacing it with low impact side steps, just ignore her when she states that she gets 400lb people doing jumping jacks. My friend told me to drink milk (not sure on the science behind that - I work in sport's medicine) but it did seem to help. I used skimmed milk and added protein powder
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    This is HIGH impact- I am 5'2" and at 214 out weigh you by lots!! You may not be doing the moves right to protect your knees. Pay very close attention to that! Also do the modified versions until you can handle the full blown thing. I have knee problems and don't push my luck!!
  • morningstarz99
    Options
    I'm doing Ripped in 30, right now. And I'm having so slight discomfort in my knees... I think this comes along with gett the body use to doing certain things because I just completed the Insanity Program and for the first week or two of that, my knees were certainly shot! Sometimes you have to keep pushing through it and eventually, the pain will go away... at least thats what happen in my case! Oh and I'm 5'2 175.4... I was 194.5 when I started Insanity.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Modify, modify!!

I don't do the jumps or high knees or very deep squats. I move and march briskly in place and I do a lot of upper body movements (shadow boxing works great!), when Jillian is going through that section. I am small but I have OA and torn meniscus in both knees so no high impact exercises for me.

You can still get good results without damaging your knees. Add some stationary bike, treadmill or walks, if your knees allow it, and if you want to increase your cardiovascular workout. But, in my opinion, it is better to modify the cardio movements in 30DS or Ripped in 30, and continue doing the rest of the exercises, rather than stopping the workouts all together.

Who knows, maybe in few weeks or a month you will be able to do the whole thing. Good luck and keep up the good work!
  • NinjaChickie
    NinjaChickie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and about 10lbs heaver than you, and with an old knee injury that still acts up occasionally, I've been fine with level 1.

Having gone through physio for my knee in the past, I learned how to do squats & lunges properly without causing extra damage / pain.....

Make sure your feet are pointed forward, I had a bad habit from dance of turning my feet out, but thats not good for knees.... also like she mentions in the video, make sure you dont bend your knee too far forward. Knee and ankle should stay aligned, its your butt that should stick out.

Stick with it, maybe not every day, but keep going. You're quads will strengthen and the exercises will get easier and more comfortable.
  • Mrs_ALM
    Mrs_ALM Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have a knee that flares up due to fibromyalgia. I find that if I do the cool stretches at least 3 times on the first few days, followed by a protein shake, it helps cut down on the pain. Since my knee pain is not really muscular, I don't know if that is actually what is helping it or not. I wear a brace on it during the exercises now.

Here are some tips I've found around the internet for this program: The extra stretching I mentioned above. Make sure you are wearing GOOD supporting shoes & make sure you are doing the excercises as she describes. She talks a bit about what not to do, so make sure you aren't doing the wrong movements. Less is more when you are trying not to injure yourself. Being out of commission for a week after one workout is no fun (I know, because I've been there more than once) so if you need to take a few second break from something, don't feel guilty. I usually have to break from the jumping jacks or butt kicks because of the knee.

Good luck & I hope you can get your knee better to continue this workout or at least find one that will work for you. :)
  • tnshahud
    tnshahud Posts: 163
    Options
    I am 5'3" and was 175lbs when I started the 30 DS, I was able to get through the whole thing with no breaks and I have bum knees. Are you sure you are doing the exercises correctly? I couldn't do the plyometrics in level three so I just went with Anita's modifications. Stick to the mods and don't push too hard, work your way into it slowly.

Are there certain exercises you are noticing it more with?

I Tried it before and really hurt the knee, so Yesterday I had my husband with me when I did the video to see if I was doing the excerises right, he said I looked like I was doing them right... I haven't got to level 2!!
  • tnshahud
    Options
    I also seem to have problems with my knees hurting with the Shred DVD. My right knee bothers me the most. Level 1 is not as bad as level 2. On level two I stopped doing the planks where you have your knees hopping back and forth up. My knee was in extreme pain after that. I think we should follow the girl that doesn't go crazy as Jillian said. She mentioned if you have knee problems follow whatever her name is. The girl on the right that doesn't go into the full move. So that's what I do when there are exercises that involve the knees. Otherwise, follow the other girl that goes full strength! : )

I'm 140lbs and 5'6". I am considered in a healthy weight zone, but I am not comfortable with the muffin middle that I have. So I am trying to lose 15 lbs at least.

Good luck with your knees!

I follow Anita, the girl in the green. Some times I don't even so as far down as she does or jump as high. And the knee still hurts!
  • tnshahud
    Options
    What kind of surface are you doing it on. I tried it on my carpet and it hurt a tiny bit but only for like one exercise.

On Carpet...I've done the DVD for a week straight and then couldn't bend my knee! So I'm trying it on a day then off a day...
    Hopefully that will help!
  • tnshahud
    Options
    Hi I love Jillian Michaels but also developed pain in one knee (why one I don't know), nearly all they other DVD's are easiers on the knee but then have burpee and planks which are hard on the wrists LOL

I alternated the workout with other in her series - and took glucosamine, and it did improve as I got stronger
    It may be worth not doing the jumping jacks and replacing it with low impact side steps, just ignore her when she states that she gets 400lb people doing jumping jacks. My friend told me to drink milk (not sure on the science behind that - I work in sport's medicine) but it did seem to help. I used skimmed milk and added protein powder

Thanks for the advice, it really drives me nuts when she says 400 lb people can do it...I"m not 400 lb and I can't do it!! LO!!!
    I'm not a milk drinker, maybe I'll start!!
  • tnshahud
    Options
    I'm doing Ripped in 30, right now. And I'm having so slight discomfort in my knees... I think this comes along with gett the body use to doing certain things because I just completed the Insanity Program and for the first week or two of that, my knees were certainly shot! Sometimes you have to keep pushing through it and eventually, the pain will go away... at least thats what happen in my case! Oh and I'm 5'2 175.4... I was 194.5 when I started Insanity.

I've heard allot of other people in different posts say just bare with the pain it will go away in a week or two and be just fine...But It's an issue when it hurts to get out of bed or climb stairs, or just to walk!!!
    I also have Ripped in 30 I haven't tried yet. I'm guessing I'm just not doing the exercises right. I had my husband watch and he said he thought I was doing it right...but he's not a fitness guy either so who knows!!
    Congrats on your wieght lose, Keep it up!!!
  • tnshahud
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's advice!!! I think I will do the DVD everyother day, and Work harder on to do the excerises right and better...
  • Nikkei24
    Nikkei24 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's advice!!! I think I will do the DVD everyother day, and Work harder on to do the excerises right and better...

I hope it works out for you!!