Forks Over Knives

Options
Has anyone seen Forks Over Knives? It's an extremely interesting documentary concerning the benefits of a whole foods plant based diet. Just curious what you think about it and if it inspired you to change your diet.

I am inspired by it, but cutting out meat and dairy would be very hard for me and I don't have any supporters in my family.

Replies

• chachilynn
    Options
    I was inspired by this documentary as well! I got the book delivered today and I do think it's going to be an interesting transition. Meat and dairy are usually a staple in my day, so I want to give it an honest effort for a month and see how my body feels from there.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I've cut back on my red meat over the years but, Harvard Studies notwithstanding, will continue to enjoy the occasional steak or serving of roast beef, same with dairy - I eat cereal most mornings with 2% milk and enjoy my yogurt & cheese (I eat a lot less of that than I used to). I'm definitely not a Paleo eater but humans evolved to be omnivores, it was meat that gave our evolutionary ancestors enough protein to grow big brains and I plan on continuing the tradition.

I also have friends who are vegan who, from the looks of things, manage to derive all of the nutrients they need from a plant based diet. To each their own.
  • SweetDee12
    SweetDee12 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I wanted to get the book! Let me know if the recipes are tasty!
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I'm more impressed with Dr,. Furhman from KCTS 9. 3 steps for healthier living.
  • kleighsamboer
    Options
    I had to cut out meat and eggs because my body doesn't process it well and so it makes me very ill. I do eat raw goat's milk cheese and goat's milk yogurt, organic butter, and fish but those are the only animal products. I eat a very clean diet. I am the only one in my family who eats this way. It can be difficult sometimes but it is what's best for me, so I do it.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    If a person is thinking vegetarianism or vegan, this is the perfect piece of confirmation bias to help people down that road.
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    BUMP, is this the documentary you saw?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAdqLB6bTuQ

Great info! This Doc wrote "The pleasure trap. Anyway, so much good info on here. Basically, only three species on the planet that have overweight problems. Humans, dogs, and cats. So, he goes to discuss in detail how, and what to do about it. I didn't get the part about becoming a vegan, etc.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    If a person is thinking vegetarianism or vegan, this is the perfect piece of confirmation bias to help people down that road.

I've watched the documentary and this was my reaction too.

How did ancient homo sapiens ever survive before the invention of the documentary? Or did he use cave paintings?
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Long on rhetoric, short on science.
  • RillSoji
    RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Interesting and well put documentary. It, among other docs, articles, research did inspire me to focus more on a whole foods diet with a focus on plants. Like everything else, take it all with a grain of salt and do your research.
  • Ingadinga
    Ingadinga Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have watched it before. It is such inspiration to eat unprocessed wholesome foods. I still eat meat, but not as often as I did when I was younger. And I found out I am lactose intolerant a couple years ago, so I have restricted my dairy intake drastically. (a struggle since I was raised in Wisconsin)

There's a movement called "Meatless Mondays" where you don't eat any meat on Monday, hence the name. Maybe try going meatless one day a week if you want to eliminate a bit of meat from you diet. It's good for the planet as well.

I went to a open house for a Master's Program in Nutrition, and they suggested to watched "Food Matters", which is a great recommendation.
  • 1akbaker
    1akbaker Posts: 1
    Options
    Just curious what you think about it and if it inspired you to change your diet.

My husband and I have been eating a plant based diet for a couple weeks now. We have cut out dairy, finishing up the meat in the freezer and generally being more aware of what we eat. Don't get me wrong, we have fumbled here and there, but we are trying. I work in a family practice clinic where it seems like the docs are chronic disease managers. Most of their patients come in month after month w/Diabetes, hypertension, elevated cholesterol etc. I haven't seen anyone REALLY turn it around until the movie/movement came to town.

My inspiration....I want to feel good. Look better. I want to live like that the rest of my life. I don't want to just hang on for last 30 years of my life, relying on medication to just get me by.
    Best of Luck.