Replies

• KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Excellent post :smile:
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Very concise and eloquent at the same time- wonderful post. :)

I hope more people come to understand it in the future and stop torturing themselves with this all or nothing thinking. There is room for middle ground and as in most things, the middle ground makes the most sense.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Two words: Stomach shrinkage. I don't know if it's an actual physical shrinkage or not, but when I'm dieting, over time, my ability to eat large volumes decreases. I just get full faster, even if the food is not high-volume low-calorie veggies and such.
  • PoochPottery
    Options
    You took the words right out of my mouth!!! :love:
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I am one of those who says that they cannot eat back all the exercise calories and sometimes finds it hard to eat 1200 cals a day. For me this is because it is what I am eating now. I accept that in the past I was probably eating a lot more in terms of calories but the food was crap e.g. large bag of tyrrells or kettle chips as a snack, Mc Donalds meals which meant I was full at the time but 2 hours later I wanted more. Now I think hard about my calories and what I put in my mouth. I make the most of what I eat and find that I am fuller for longer, which means I am not hungry between meals as I have been in the past and this is why I can't always get my calories in. Don't know if this is the same for everyone, but this is my experience.

Agreed. For a snack I'd have a packet of crisps and a choccy bar....now it's a piece of fruit or some nuts. Most of what I eat now is low GI so I feel much fuller than I would have before, hence the "stuffed" feeling. Much more satisfying to eat too now!

Also, for a while I don't think I WAS eating much more than an RDA of calories, my weight was maintaining, it was just all crap and I didn't move. Now I'm eating MORE than I would have before (which feels WEIRD) and it's also that habit breaking. I'd restrict myself on food so I could just eat crap (i.e. miss dinner in favour of having a doughnut!) now it's like....wait, I should have been eating more anyway!

That's not how I got overweight, but it's how i maintained being overweight! In fact at some points I'd track my food and make sure I was eating no more than 800 calories (but ofc, not changing the actual food).....the weight never went anywhere and it wasn't sustainable. So it's not always necessarily about pigging out above RDA on crap and everything else.
  • Sheila1968
    Sheila1968 Posts: 106
    Options
    Great post !!! I just recently upped my calories because I was exhausted and starving at the end of the day at 1200 calories plus eating whatever back in exercise calories. I may lose slower now, but I won't be a ravenous, angry b#tch anymore!...lol

^^This. Before MFP, I was only counting calories and not really taking into consideration how much exercising I do. It's no wonder I was so hungry and light-headed all the time! I was probably only netting 700-800 calories on some days because I wasn't balancing it out properly. I love that MFP "does the math" for you, as it were, to help you see the balance between eating and exercising.

Not that I didn't KNOW that, of course, but I was way off on my estimates before. Now I am a much happier person - although still above the weight my doc wants me at, grrr.
  • shannon4health
    Options
    Awesome post and awesome follow ups from everyone:) Love it!!
    This is just what I needed to hear today! I think I get too caught up in the "numbers" and I just need to keep working out and eating healthy and keep plugging away. I actually up'd my calories the other week and lost a few pounds...ACK!! It does drive me a little bonkers b/c I am one of the people that thinks that you have to starve yourself to lose weight but I am learning that it's just not true...and especially now that i am working out everyday I have to fuel my body to give it energy. I am DRAGGING right now b/c I am so tired from my workouts!! Like I feel like i need to go take a nap! So instead of getting down I just ate some chicken and a huge pile of steamed broccoli. already feeling revived!!

Boy, I tell ya it makes me want to help every other person I run into that struggles to lose weight b/c this is not as easy as it looks!

:)
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    lean protein and vegetables make you feel fuller longer. Before they were eating sugar and saturated fats that make them feel hungry after eating
  • astroub
    astroub Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I love this!
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    There is a big difference between eating more to lose weight and eating how you used to eat.

I read a lot of posts from people from both sides of the fence: the ones who tell you to eat more to lose weight, and the others who say they simply "can't" eat all their exercise calories back, or reach their calorie goal for the day because they're so "stuffed", or lose weight if they aren't eating at MFP's 1200 calorie guideline.

What I don't understand is, most people came to MFP because they were eating well above their recommended caloric intake, so how all of a sudden are they now not able to eat exercise calories back and not eat up to 1200, 1300, 1400 calories?

I bet you that for most people, if you were to take an *honest* look at what you were *really* eating before you came to MFP, and just logged your calories as you normally ate when you gained weight, you were probably eating well above 2500, 3000, or even 4000 calories a day. For most average size people, that could account to a 10, 20, or even 30 pound weight gain. (This is the average person, this is not counting someone who may have other health issues going on...)

So this is why traditional "dieting" fails - people go from eating a ridiculous amount of calories to all of a sudden restricting themselves to 1200 calories a day. It's such an extreme measure that it's hard for most people to keep it up as a lifestyle.

Now look at the sensible approach. If you've got a good amount of weight to lose, losing a half to one pound a week is a very reasonable and healthy goal to strive for. To do so, all you need to do is somehow cut 500 calories a day from what you normally take in.

That's not hard to do - cutting down on a portion size, walking for 30 minutes, skipping a soda or two - just small things - can add up. If you were eating 4000 calories a day eating 1000 calories worth of donuts and/or pizza, you could cut that by eating 1 instead of 2 slices or 2 pieces of donuts. Let's say you're a 5'6" sedentary woman, and your daily calorie needs at goal weight are about 1800 calories a day to maintain. If you're about 20 pounds overweight, you could simply take off 250 calories from food, and 250 from walking, cleaning, doing something for 30 minutes to an hour. It's not extreme and it won't make you feel like you're "dieting".

The whole point when people say "eat more to lose weight" is that you don't have to go to such extreme measures (going from 3000+ calories a day to 1200! That's just crazy!)

Just get used to eating a little less than your maintenance calories. "Eat more to lose weight" does not mean stuffing your face with seconds, thirds, box loads, and packages of all the stuff you used to eat. You're still reducing calories if you're eating like you were at your goal weight.

It boggles my mind, especially when I read about folks who have 30+ pounds to lose and all of a sudden say they are "fine" and "not starving" eating only 1200 calories a day now.

That isn't far fetch for someone all of sudden not able to eat or feeling stuff on 1200 calories, even if they were overeating before. Your appetite changes with your eating, before when overeating their appetite was adjusted to it so it was harder to get stuff or full on the high calories, as a person diets their appetite will change to the calorie intake so a person then will get full easier.
  • mgero212
    mgero212 Posts: 96
    Options
    AMEN!
  • tangiesharp
    tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Grind...

I thought we need some variety after all the bumping.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    It boggles my mind, especially when I read about folks who have 30+ pounds to lose and all of a sudden say they are "fine" and "not starving" eating only 1200 calories a day now.

The difference between food that is HIGH in CALORIES and LOW NUTRITION vs. NUTRIENT DENSE FOOD.

The purpose of hunger is to encourage you to fuel you body, pouring in empty calories is not giving your body a high quality fuel and it won't relieve your hunger...

Choose mostly nutrient dense foods and you feel much more satisfied on fewer calories.

:drinker:

But really do agree with you on small changes being the best way to stick with new eating habits.
    After all if you revamp your whole diet, in times of stress (and who doesn't have stress?) you'll revert back to what is familiar and feel like a failure, but a series of small changes simple become new habits, replacing the old.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    wow this strand got really long between when I started my reply and when I hit post now I have to go back and read it.
  • sathor
    sathor Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    it makes sense, people that eat less for a short time will have their stomach itself shrink, and they just can't fit as much in, and if they don't push it, it will stay that way. I used to easily down an entire pizza, but after I stopped eating as much during the off season, I found that I was only eating half as much as I did before many times. Some competative eaters drink lots of water at one time to stretch their stomachs out before a competition. it probably works like that.
  • kbuelo
    kbuelo Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this clear explanation!
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I am one of those who says that they cannot eat back all the exercise calories and sometimes finds it hard to eat 1200 cals a day. For me this is because it is what I am eating now. I accept that in the past I was probably eating a lot more in terms of calories but the food was crap e.g. large bag of tyrrells or kettle chips as a snack, Mc Donalds meals which meant I was full at the time but 2 hours later I wanted more. Now I think hard about my calories and what I put in my mouth. I make the most of what I eat and find that I am fuller for longer, which means I am not hungry between meals as I have been in the past and this is why I can't always get my calories in. Don't know if this is the same for everyone, but this is my experience.

This is how it is for me.

I don't like the implication that I'm either lying, in denial, or an idiot if I don't find it easy to eat as many calories as I used to.

My consumption wasn't drastically high like 4,000/day originally, but it was probably around the 2,500 mark. But that was with a lot of fast food, cheese, snacks, etc. and binging brought on by emotional or work related stress. Now I cook all of my own meals and I'm a lot more conscious of what I eat, so the healthy things that fill me up now are the same if not more volume but significantly less calories. I now go to the gym every day so keep my stress level manageable. Eating 1800 calories a day to net the proper amount is difficult unless I'm spending a significant portion of my time eating when I'm not physically hungry-- which is what got me into this situation to begin with.
    Does that make more sense?
  • Argent78
    Argent78 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    To me, eating more to lose weight is summed up by this article:
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=1260

Eat more food in volume and weight, but eat less in calories. Keeps you full. without the "bad macro"-calorie heavy.

If to eat the "homemade" way (from the article) and are looking for more more than just weight loss, to transition into a healthy lifestyle, and maintain your exercise, you can still have a hard time hitting those calorie goals MFP calculates for you.

OMG this article is so perfect!!