Possibe to lose lbs but not go down in size?

Options
I am entering my fourth week and I am wondering if it is possible to see decrease on the scale but not in clothing? I have lost 9lbs and do not expect to see it in my clothing yet but was just wondering for the future. Also, what amount of weight is usually lost to go down a size in clothing? Thanks!! :)

Replies

• shellsrenee01
    shellsrenee01 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    First off, yay on your first 9lbs gone! :bigsmile:

I think the change in clothing size will depend on many different variables. Think about the size you are now: Is it a size you *might* be too big for? (this is my case! haha) If it is, it may be some time before you see yourself needing a smaller size, since first your body will shrink to the point where your current size fits properly.

OR

Is your current size already a perfect fit? (My goal right now, haha) If this is the case, I will guess that another 10-15lbs will see you needing smaller clothes!

Height plays a big part as well.

Good luck and keep it up! When you do go shopping for a smaller size, take a picture of yourself so that 10-15lbs later, you can look back and say "WOW, look at how much I've changed again!" Pictures are awesome. :drinker:
  • scorn1016
    scorn1016 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I think my problem is I am in between sizes.. my current size is a little baggy, not too bad but if I go to the next size down, it will button, but not flattering (lol). I am pleased with actually sticking with it this time and I am in no hurry to shop, but was just wondering since I have seen the scale go down every week since I began. Thanks again!! :)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Absolutely it is possible. It took me 15lbs to go down a size when I first started. Often part of the process in the beginning is losing water weight, which is reflected on the scale and you may feel less physically bloated, but you won't be a different size. You're doing a great job!!
  • supersleever
    Options
    That is a question that will get you multiple answers as everyone is different. Sometimes I dont lose a pound but will lose inches and sometimes I lose 10 pounds and wont lose an inch. You body takes time to catch up with itself and adjust is how I feel. Just keep going.......the results WILL COME!!
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    It took 12-15lbs before I saw a change in my pant size. Great work losing the weight. I felt like the first 10lbs were the hardest to lose.
  • StephC74
    StephC74 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Have you been doing any strength training? If you are tightening things up and losing inches then you will drop sizes sooner. I have lost 12 pounds and am starting to wear some of the clothes that I out grew 20lbs ago on the way up. Jeans are always hard to judge though - they stretch and shrink so much that it is hard to tell sometimes how much your size may have change. With my dress pants though I have gone from a tight size 14 with spanx to wearing them with no spanx and now can wear my 12s.
  • Karahazen103
    Options
    It took me 20lbs gone to see a change in pant size and to your question it totally is! There is a lot of variables but one that I realized was that we are not just losing weight in our belly but our neck, our wrists, our legs, around our organs, our feet, our cheeks. You can really know where it is going to come off first. It came off my face first! (:
  • scorn1016
    scorn1016 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    No, I havent started any strength training. My goal starting out has been to just become more active. I mostly do cardio like the elliptical for 30 mins 4x a week, swimming, kinect dancing games with my daughter, walks, etc. I have never had to worry about weight until recently so I have NO experience with anything but just trying to be active. I havent expected to see the change in size yet, I was just wondering if it was possible lol. Should I be trying to start strength training? Like I said, I really have tried to focus on learning to eat better and actually becoming active on a daily basis. Congrats on fitting into your size 12s. Thats my goal size to be in over all :)
  • StephC74
    StephC74 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You don't have to do heavy lifting although a lot of people around here do. Even just doing something like 30 day shred will help you become stronger and more toned. It's those inches coming off that help you to change sizes.
  • mrspike06
    Options
    I've lost 11lbs and have not dropped a size yet. But, my clothes were awfully snug and they fit better or are getting loose. However, I am about to take a link out of my watch....which is great and all, but I wasn't really self conscious about my wrists to begin with. I wish it would come off my midsection first, but, I seem to lose weight from the top down. Keep going!
  • toasterlisa
    toasterlisa Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I gain weight first in my waist and I lose it first in my waist, so I saw a difference in my dress pants and jeans with about 5 lbs lost. At 10 lbs gone, I noticed a difference across my chest and ribs, and got a few blouses buttoned.

Unfortunately, I still have extra inches on my arms that I really wish would go away, but my upper arms don't have a lot to do with how my clothes fit :-)

After 20+ lbs lost, I've dropped from pant sizes 12 and 14 (depending on the brand) down to pant sizes 6 or 8 (depending on the brand).

Best wishes on your health and wellness journey!
  • torygirl79
    torygirl79 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Sadly yes, I have lost over 2 and a half stone and not gone down an entire waist size yet (although I have gone down a chest size),
  • Ceffy
    Ceffy Posts: 235
    Options
    I've lost 3 st, which has so far, equated to one dress size in trousers and 2 in dresses :(