I have a new addiction....

Options
...and it's running!! Holy moly, it is so addicting to me and I know that some of you may think, "oh yeah right, that will never be me." I honestly started out weighing 200 pounds and was a serious smoker, and NEVER running! Now, I'm running about 3-4 miles a day. It is such an amazing feeling when you can actually breathe while you run! If I don't get to run for a day, I feel totally loser-ish and blah! I started off very small and NEVER would have thought I'd be running this much!! I recommend it to everyone!

Replies

• m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    Very impressed. I'm working on getting to where you are. Currently Walking/jogging combo 4 miles a day. Probably about 1/3 jogging. Can't wait til I can jog the whole time. I do love the feeling and I'm certain I will become an addict as well :). Congratulations to you
  • KimberlyKurtz
    Options
    I started jogging for the race for the cure in Sept. yes it can be an additction a good one!
    keep it up!
  • Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    ...and it's running!! Holy moly, it is so addicting to me and I know that some of you may think, "oh yeah right, that will never be me." I honestly started out weighing 200 pounds and was a serious smoker, and NEVER running! Now, I'm running about 3-4 miles a day. It is such an amazing feeling when you can actually breathe while you run! If I don't get to run for a day, I feel totally loser-ish and blah! I started off very small and NEVER would have thought I'd be running this much!! I recommend it to everyone!

I feel the same way, and it's so invigorating!!! I never thought I'd be a runner. I've always had asthma and could barely run for a minute without wheezing. I'm running about 4 miles a day now and no sign of ANY asthma at all!
    It sounds like we're at a similar level. I'm thinking about signing up for a 10k in Oct, and maybe eventually a 1/2 marathon in the Spring!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    As "addictions" go, it's a pretty good one.

I started running back in the mid-70s and even though injuries kept me from running seriously for over 10 years, in my heart I am still a runner.

I have resumed running for the past few months with no problems (fingers crossed). I have been very cautious and am sticking mostly to the treadmill for now, just to avoid injuries. Every now and then I sneak out on the road for a short run, just to remember what it's like.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I swear that I warn people... running *is* addictive!! Coming from someone whose motto used to be "only run when chased" in high school, it's amazing!!

Happy running! :bigsmile:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way too, thought why would you run when you can get on your bike and go faster but I love it and can't get enough now!

Just switched it up from an afternoon runner to first thing in the morning and it is better than coffee :love:
  • paulkj
    paulkj Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    It is totally addictive. And if I am going to be addicted to something, it might as well be running. I absolutely love it and I can't wait for the next time I run (I run approx 3 times a week). It is such an invigorating feeling along with a sense of accomplishment for me.
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    That's so awesome!!
    I've started jogging... slowly. I ran 3/4 mile last night, more than I ever have my entire life. It felt amazing!
  • melbug25
    melbug25 Posts: 50
    Options
    That's so awesome!!
    I've started jogging... slowly. I ran 3/4 mile last night, more than I ever have my entire life. It felt amazing!

That is awesome! Don't give up! It really does take time and practice! One thing that really helped me get better was doing interval training. Walk a minute then jog at a fast pace for a min. Do that at least 1-2 times a week and I promise you will notice a difference!

Good luck to you!!
  • lindsay1982
    lindsay1982 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I myself am not a runner (yet...:blushing: ) but my husband is. He runs 2-2.5 miles everyday, and he's a big guy. :glasses: 6'2" and like 350 pounds. He loves it and he's very grouchy when he can't run. I wish I could make everyday perfect for him to run so he's happy all the time. :bigsmile: Maybe one day, soon, I'll be an addict too. Wow, that's something a mother never wants to hear. "When I grow up I want to be an addict." :laugh:
  • kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    Options
    I never ran before either... But with my new treadmil 5 month ago, I started. I now walk/run between 15-20 miles a week, I can run 3 miles without stopping, I never new that was possible for me. I also was a smoker for 28yrs and quit just 8 months ago, I've lost a bit of weight, but I just love the runners high. I suggest that anyone beginnning to run go to the MFP runners group and go back to the beginning and read through their posts. there is so much great info there. you'll be so greatful for the info, I know I was. good luck and keep pushing..
    Remember to stretch...:smile:
  • stephcheers
    Options
    Good for you! Have you signed up for any races yet? There are usually a lot to choose from in the Fall. But be careful...they are addictive too. :wink:

Happy running!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, WALKING can be in this same category.

I find myself getting "antsy" if I can't get out and do at least 4 miles. I feel best when I can go every day, but can get by w/every other day. On weeks where I haven't been able to get out during my work week, during my 3 days off I will do 3 days --last weekend it was 17.5 miles from Friday to Sunday.

I may try jogging in about 50 more lbs. At that weight when I was in college I did do some jogging, but that was about 30 years ago, and I don't want to foul up my knees, so I will probably always be a walker.

If you are going to become addicted to something, better to be jogging, running, whatever you want to call it, rather than, junk food, cigarettes, and booze, right ??:laugh: :laugh:

Good luck to everyone in pursuit of their exercise "addictions.":drinker: :drinker:
  • Nanpoodle
    Nanpoodle Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    So happy for all of you runners! I have 6 brothers and 3 of them are extreme marathon runners. One has almost completed a marathon in every USA State. BUT ME....I have tried and tried and just can't even run 1/4 mile....what is wrong with me?? I can barely walk my 3 miles, but try to do walk....run....walk. Is it because my dogs go w/me, is it because I am 52?

HELP!!! I am a WANNA-BE runner!!!
  • amylynne26
    amylynne26 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I never thought I could do it either but the couch to 5k changed EVERYTHING. I just started week 5 and went from wanting to die in the middle of a 60 second run a couple months ago to running 8 minutes straight... TWICE. I LOVE IT and am a running addict too. Can't wait till my first 5K and want to run a 10K and maybe even a half marathon in the next year!

:drinker:
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    You need to come hang out with us in the Runners Club!! So inspiring!
  • melbug25
    Options
    So happy for all of you runners! I have 6 brothers and 3 of them are extreme marathon runners. One has almost completed a marathon in every USA State. BUT ME....I have tried and tried and just can't even run 1/4 mile....what is wrong with me?? I can barely walk my 3 miles, but try to do walk....run....walk. Is it because my dogs go w/me, is it because I am 52?

HELP!!! I am a WANNA-BE runner!!!

What is making the running difficult for you? Is it breathing, pain, or just boredom? The right running shoes are very important. Starting off slow is important too. try just jogging very slow. Try intervals on a track, doing sprints for 30 sec and walk for a min.
  • melbug25
    Options
    Good for you! Have you signed up for any races yet? There are usually a lot to choose from in the Fall. But be careful...they are addictive too. :wink:

Happy running!

I did a "Fun-Run" two weeks ago. It was a 5k and I completed it in 29:55. There is a 1/2 Marathon coming up in a month that my co-workers want me to do with them, but i'm extremely nervous and afraid i might not do well! I wouldn't want to walk it, but I don't think i'm ready to run 13 miles straight.