lifting =gaining?!

Options
I am not a fan of lifting, I KNOW I should do it, but I dread it, and then.. as soon as I decide to suck it up and do it I swear I gain 2 -4 pounds even though nothing else has changed! Still under my calorie limit still getting all my cardio in, what gives?!
I've heard you retain water to help repair the small muscle tears, but I don't know if thats true, and 4 pounds seems extreme for that also. I usually lose about a half pound a day but stop every.time I lift!

And I am sure I am not gaining 2 -4 pounds of muscle ;)

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    immediate gains or losses of 2-4lbs have nothing to do with body composition and are water fluctuations. If you think 4lbs of water is extreme, consider that a half gallon of water. An easy amount for your body to retain (or sit in your stomach).

I gain the day after lifting, too. Ain't no big deal in the long run. Day-to-day fluctuations mean nothing.
  • kaydensmom12
    Options
    It is water, you are not gaining fat or muscle on a calorie deficit. It is completely normal to gain weight while lifting, yet your body will get smaller!Stop focusing on the number and just watch your body change!!!
  • bearxfoo
    bearxfoo Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    A human's weight will fluctuate around 5lbs a day on average.

It has to do with water weight mostly. When you're lifting weights, you're essentially inflaming/tearing your muscles, which could cause you to retain more water to help the process of healing.
  • DisneySkaGirl
    Options
    Look for trends over time, not what you weigh the day after a workout. You need all that water in your system to keep you muscles healthy.

As for lifting in general, hopefully you find that your body is changing in positive ways, and try not to worry about what the scale is saying.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    You need to gauge on a more long term basis like what happens over the course of 2-3 weeks after starting to lift because you've just shocked your body by doing something it is used to doing and needs to adapt. If you're still up after a month, then there's probably a change in body composition, but if you're just looking at what happens in the next couple of days, you're not giving it long enough.

Edit; Oh and remember to measure. If you're maintaining/gaining weight and getting smaller, that's converting fat to muscle.
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    Its all about water just like the above poster said.

Don't let a little water keep you from lifting - its one of the best way to lose fat and get leaner.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I love lifting and yes you retain water. I'm sure experts will chime in and give you all the fabulous details on that. I wanted to mention something else. The scale is a liar! I am wanting to shed body fat and I still have quite a ways to go but I am a smaller size than most people my weight.

I went into one of those "what size are you" threads and found that my size is smaller than my weight would indicate. I am 5'5" and weigh about 189 but I wear a size 10! Several years ago (before I had my last kid) I got down to 170 and was barely squeezing into a size 12. The only difference is I am lifting this time whereas last time it was all cardio. I'm almost 20 pounds heavier but fit 10's well. And before you give me an argument about sizes changing you should know this is based on the same pants I had back then. I'm wearing my teen daughter's clothes that she no longer fits because she's been weight lifting with me.

If you start lifting your scale will go up a little in the beginning but your size should shrink at some point if you're eating well.
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    I am not a fan of lifting, I KNOW I should do it, but I dread it, and then.. as soon as I decide to suck it up and do it I swear I gain 2 -4 pounds even though nothing else has changed! Still under my calorie limit still getting all my cardio in, what gives?!

Under your calorie goal is not a good thing to do. Period. Aside from that 2-4 lbs is just water retention! Water retention from drinking extra, holding on to water or retaining fluid in the muscles from the strength training. I wouldn't stress about it.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    If you can bear holding onto 4 lbs of water for a while as you recomp your body, you'll be better off for it. Why let 4 lbs of water stop you from reaping all the benefits of lifting? 4 lbs is nothing. I gained the 4 lbs and I've held onto it now for two months... while going up an down within that 4 lb range... the fat is slowly being burned off regardless.

So... moral of the story: Don't be afraid of 4 lbs of water weight when you stand to gain so much more... fat loss, muscle gain, body recomp, not to mention all the health benefits.
  • EmilyMarieMo
    EmilyMarieMo Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You are not alone! I've completed 4 days of the 30 Day shred now and have stayed the same or even up a lb every day! It's my first time to add in strength training. And Jillian says it's possible to drop up to 20 lbs in the 30 days doing it... so far it's not working on the scale for me! I am hoping it shows like every one says it will in inches though!!!!
  • Six6xiS
    Six6xiS Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    immediate gains or losses of 2-4lbs have nothing to do with body composition and are water fluctuations. If you think 4lbs of water is extreme, consider that a half gallon of water. An easy amount for your body to retain (or sit in your stomach).

I gain the day after lifting, too. Ain't no big deal in the long run. Day-to-day fluctuations mean nothing.

I don't cut weight for fighting, but am amazed at some of the pro athletes that can cut water weight so easy.
  • heatherz86
    Options
    If it's any kind of encouragement, I lost about 25 pounds before I started lifting and wore all the same size clothes and never had anyone ask if I've lost weight. I started lifting about two months ago, haven't lost a pound, but fit into so many of my smaller clothes and lots of people NOW think I've lost weight. The number on the scale isn't everything. Give lifting a month and I bet you'll like what you see enough to worry less about 2-4 pound fluctuations.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    same for me, water retention. it's normal to freak out about it though. especially me, I still have plenty fat to lose, and if the scale goes up, the world pauses for a couple minutes, lol then i get on with my day
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    if you are only focusing on the scale as a parameter of "success," than yes, lifting may equal gaining BUT the gain has many factors involved:
    1) likely it is water retention as your muscles repair themselves from lifting, which causes micro-tears in your muscles
    2) you will gain muscle mass over time but your body will be physically smaller because the muscle should be replacing fat. Now fat does NOT magically transform into muscle, but rather if you are doing things right (eating healthy and enough while being active and lifting) the fat will be burned and the muscles will grow. Since muscle takes up less space than fat, you will be in smaller sizes of clothes, but also since muscle weighs more than fat, the scale will likely say you gained weight...which isnt a bad thing

oh, and you will NOT bulk up unless you have some sort of hormone issue. its impossible. i promise.

if you dread lifting, why not try a program to give you focus. I have done New Rules of Lifting for Women and am into CrossFit now.
  • Flippiefloppies
    Options
    Since I started lifting I have gained 7lbs. BUT.... my clothes fit better, my *kitten* looks better, I have went down in clothing size and my whole body looks better overall. Stop weighing yourself. The only thing that does is make you paranoid. Starting to lift is the best thing I have ever done for myself fitness wise.
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I also started lifting at the end of January and I'm up about 6 lbs. My clothes still fit the same and people still tell me I look great and that I look like I'm losing weight.

I know how hard it is to look at the scale and see the number go up. I tell myself multiple times a day not to worry about it and not to get hung up on the number. Its a daily battle for me but I believe in the end that my lifting will pay off.