PCOS - cinnamin pills

Options
Can anyone tell me about cinnamin pills for pcos? what do they do? were can I get them? are they cheep?

Replies

• jfield6
    jfield6 Posts: 56
    Options
    Never heard of it. Sorry I'm no help.

What exactly are the cinnamon pills for?
  • katielauren2001
    katielauren2001 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You can probably get Cinnamon pills from your health food shop, I have heard some positive things about them and it wouldn't hurt to give them a try?
  • butterflyliz32
    butterflyliz32 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon is supposed to help lower/regulate blood sugar, which helps with Insulin Resistance caused by PCOS.

I have bought the supplements at the local pharmacy or Walmart (with the vitamins) and they are very inexpensive. My mother swears by cinnamon to help with her diabetes.
  • terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    What is the recommended dosage?
  • rita27ny
    rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    i bought chrouimum with cinnamon at gnc last week. will let u know if it helps when i test my glucose. i know it doesn't help with the cravings..
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I just read something really negative about ingesting too much cinnamon..... like it actually was fatal for someone. Going to try and find that article....

EDIT: Here it is - http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2012/03/09/cinnamon-challenge-sparks-health-concerns/

Looks like it has to do with ingesting a spoonful of cinnamon, not cinnamon pills.
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options
    I took both chromium and cinnamon for PCOS, and noticed no difference at all. Main thing is to have your A1C levels checked regularly, eat lower-carb (no refined white stuff), keep your sugars low, eat fiber, take omega-3s. All the stuff that's really proven to work.
  • FunkyGranolaTree
    FunkyGranolaTree Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I just read something really negative about ingesting too much cinnamon..... like it actually was fatal for someone. Going to try and find that article....
    This was in reference to the cinnamon game where you attempt to eat a spoon full of cinnamon (which is all but impossible)- the people are dying because they are inhaling it and it is cutting off the airway.
  • okurerusakura
    Options
    I tried the cinnamon pill regiment when I was first diagnosed with PCOS. It helped, but I was taking A LOT of the pills to meet a dosage that would give results. I grew sick of the process, and felt like I was shoving pills down my own throat. Instead of the pills, I try to incorporate more cinnamon into my diet naturally in ways like adding it to oatmeal, coffee, yogurt, mixing it into peanut butter, etc. If anything, it is at least helping with digestion and insulin while I eat the food, without driving myself crazy! :tongue:
  • kissy28wv
    kissy28wv Posts: 74
    Options
    Cinnamon did nothing for me. There are different types so do your research before you buy. All cinnamon is not created equal.
  • bernarene23
    Options
    I also have PCOS. I was on metformin(no I do not have the insulin resistance) but it has been shown to help with weight loss and to get you back regulated on your cycle. Also I am currently on HCG diet shots and have lost 20lbs in the last 42 days and that has helped my PCOS symptoms also.
  • megansmith7487
    Options
    Not sure about the results, but I do know it is available at Walmart and is pretty inexpensive.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon really doesn't do anything. There was a study that showed it might possibly help with blood sugar, but then other studies came out showing it had no effect. I'd call it a waste of money in pill form, and a delicious spice in normal form.
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I just put a 1/4 of a teaspoon in my oatmeal in the morning... tastes wonderful!
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I have heard of Cinnamon used (a tsp/day) to help with insulin resistance. It just seemed like a lot, although pills were available.
    From a culinary standpoint, there are more than one types of cinnamon, so I don't know if the reported therapeutic effects are more associated with one type than the other.

I don't know what the relationship between type II diabetes and PCOS, but I have noticed that Metformin is being prescribed for both, and perhaps someone has made up an inter-relationship. I would sure do some hard research before spending a nickel on it.
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    To be fatal you have to ingest a whole lot of cinnamon. I put it in all my protein shakes. There is some good information online. Here's one..
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/cinnamon-mimicks-insulin.htm
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, 45 yr old, and am 5'9" and SW 235, CW 202 and GW 170, I started end of October 2011. I have lost 4 clothes sizes.
    I was told to take 1000 mg chromium percolate (sp?) with 6 grams of cinnamon to help with blood sugar stabilization and insulin, besides the other medications I take. I was told this by my nutritionist and doctor both. I find the tablets at most places that have more than a run of the mill vitamin/supplement selection. Walmart, RiteAide, Shopko, Target are the few places I have looked. I know you can get it others.
    It took me some time to be able to take the full 6 grams of cinnamon.

I found some chromium percolate with cinnamon you have to have something to help you absorb the chromium percolate cinnamon is one. I also take cinnamon separately to get the full 6 grams.

I had to work up to the full 6 grams. DO NOT get cheap cinnamon capsules because they will or can break open in your throat and then you will get KILLER heart burn or at least I do. I know they have broken open when I exhale the cinnamon or I can taste it and its a sure thing I will have heart burn. That was part of my problem with building up to the full 6 grams. I take 3 grams AM and 3 grams PM. You could possible break it up into smaller doses but I prefer the two doses, I don’t like to have to carry medication with me.

I do not in general care for cinnamon, the nutritionist told me no one is capable of eating enough in one day to consume the 6 grams. So I take my meds and supplements.. Hope this helps if you have any other questions message me and I will do my best to help/answer them. Or if you would like to add me as a friend please include a short message.. thank and good luck

Also I look for 1000 mg capsules so I can take as few as possible. I all ready take so many things for my PCOS and its side effects I want to keep the type and number down. 1000 mg capsules help
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I have read about some controversy over cinnamon. Apparently, there are basically two types, Ceylon (Real) cinnamon, which is ok and Cassia (Which could be toxic with high use). If you are concerned about what type you use, look at the label. Although many do not state which type cinnamon it is, you can always do a little online reseach to find out. I love the taste of cinnamon and prefer not to eat toxic crap. lol
  • csparger
    csparger Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    MY HUSBAND TAKES 1000 MG. CINNAMIN CAP. EVERY DAY FOR HIS DIABETES. IT WORKS GREAT FOR HIM AND HE GETS IT AT BROOKSHIRES GROCERY STORE. YOU CAN ALSO GET IT AT WALMART IT DOES NOT COST VERY MUCH.