Anyone lost weight with ONLY CARDIO??

Options

Replies

• Ironman2be
    Ironman2be Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I've lost all my weight doing only cardio, started off walking cuz of my weak knees. After a month or so of that, light jogging very short distances and bicycle riding.

After a few months of that, faster, longer runs and very long cycling rides 20-60 miles a few times a week.

Now I'm running 30+ miles a week and cycling over 60 miles a week. I'm about to start my swim training for the triathlon season and Will definitely start incorporating strength training now that I'm at the weight I want to be.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Yep, but I wish I had started strength training earlier. I started losing quite a bit in lbs, but everything was really flubby. Now that I've started to see a change in my muscle, I see my body taking more of a shape.

I think the best thing for a new person to get into is walking. Walking 30-50 mins 3 times a week and thena program such as 30DS (I do strength and ab parts mostly) 2-3 times a week and seeing better results!
  • Jlongblade
    Jlongblade Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    21lbs in two months no strentgh training.
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    75 lbs with just walking with a little bit of stationary bike in around 8 months.
  • Mdlea
    Mdlea Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm down 40+ pounds since New Year's Day. Until the last two weeks, this has been due to counting calories, riding a bike, running and swimming. All cardio so far. I've just started lifting in the last few weeks because I just turned 40 and heard all the guff about serious need to do resistance training after 40.
  • Amh32290
    Amh32290 Posts: 65
    Options
    Yup, i eat reasonably healthy(much healthier then i use to) and keep my calories to around 1200 a day. As of right now i mainly only do cardio(walking/jogging for 25-30 minutes a day 5 days a week) and ive lost about 65 pounds doing this. I just recently starting incorporating crunches and squats into my routine. hopefully soon ill get the confidence to join a gym so i can tone up more with strength training.
  • marissamcneil
    Options
    Yes, I try to eat healthy and I walk-occasionally run- every day for one hour. I have lost 13 pounds in 2 months and I am finally at my goal weight!
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I used to do only cardio - I actually think it helps the weight come off easiliest - HOWEVER, i can certainly say that you do not get the toning you get from strength training - overall you will feel and look better doing a combination.

I have also read on here that your muscles will continue to burn fat after strength training - but cardio does not....? Im not 100% sure how that work sbut im sure someone here can tell you more about that...

Finally - i think you shouild acknowledge the endoprhin factor.... (Even though this is a personal opinoin and in no way endorsed/certified) ... I think you get more endorphins from the cardio - at least i do - and excersise for me is not just about weight loss it sabout feeling great and getting those endorphins that make you happy....

Again, i suggest a combination of BOTH for most effective weight loss.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    has anyone lost weight with healthy eating but have their main form of exercise - cardio only - until this day?? what type of cardio do you do that has helped you lost weight?

I am aiming to lose body fat... and then start strength training after.
    big mistake. Strength training goes first. I lost and maintained without cardio. If i don't want i can do no cardio and still lose fat. It's about the diet.
  • sjackson1717
    sjackson1717 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I've done zero cardio and I've lost 40 lbs.

What did you do to loose 40lbs?
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    There's a real synergy - strength and cardio go hand in hand.

^ This!

I initially just did running for a number of months and lost a fair amount of weight from just that, along with portion control and making better dietary changes. However, strength training AND cardio are amazing together. Think of it - you're building bigger muscles so you can burn MORE when you're doing cardio. It's fantastic.

I'd highly encourage you to reconsider adding it in 1-2 times a week. You'll be pleased with the results.
  • sandra80
    sandra80 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    that's me for the most part. did lots of walking.
  • milf_n_cookies
    milf_n_cookies Posts: 2,244 Member
    Options
    I lost almost all of my weight eating right and doing cardio, but even though I am at my "goal" weight I just had my body fat tested and I literally could have thrown up b/c the % is much higher then I would have ever thought. So now I am adding tons of strength training to get that number down!
  • thinclo
    thinclo Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    good question ive been wondering the same thing! bump :)
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Weight training preserves muscles while you lose weight. If you lose weight without it you'll lose more muscle. Seems more efficient to keep muscle rather than lose it and try to get it back layer.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    I did, then I ended up looking like this at my goal weight

fat.png
  • lu136mickey
    lu136mickey Posts: 202
    Options
    zumba all the way
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I haven't done any real strength training yet, though I plan to in the near future. So far I have lost about 25 pounds by watching what I eat and walking/running on the treadmill.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've lost 45lbs doing Cardio along. I clean eat about 85% of the time. However, I am starting my strenght training because it will help you lose weight faster and keep you from being flabby
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can lose weight with just cardio, but why not do some of each? Balance and all that?