Endometrial Ablation vs. BCP - Pro/Cons/Personal experiences

Options
bane0317
bane0317 Posts: 60 Member
I am 37, F. i had my tubes tied 12 years ago. I have been on continuous birth control (various types of pills) for ~ 10 years due to excessive cramping and heavy bleeding during my period. I was looking at endometrial ablation as an option. I want off of the birth control pills for various reasons - tired of pumping chemicals into my body and feeling like it isn't in control of itself, slow weight loss and zero sex drive.

In my research it looks like Novasure would be my best option but I have also seen a lot of horror stories where women have increased pain or "tugging sensations". I have also read of cases where it didn't work completely and you still have a period. I could live with that if it was light. I have also thought about either just stopping BCPs and seeing what happens or trying another type since I am going to a new doctor now. I had an OB/GYN suggest an IUD. I don't need birth control I just don't want to be doubled over in pain and feelig like I am hemmoraging 3 - 5 days per month!

I am looking for any input on this from anyone who has been through this themselves. Any input on the procedure or different types of BCP vs. how your quality of life was. I'm supposed to be near my "peak" but feel more like I'm "down in the valley"!

Replies

• jldaley09
    jldaley09 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I had Novasure done approximately 2 years ago and it is the best thing that I have ever done. I am 34 have 5 kids and after my last 2 kids my periods were horrendous. I cramped so bad and bled so much I would miss work all the time. I would bleed for 7 straight days heavily where it used to be around 4-5 and light at the end.

The procedure was uncomfortable, but managable with the pain meds, I was down for one day sleeping because of the vicodin (I do not tolerate meds well) I had some slight cramping after the procedure for a few days but it wasn't bad.

The Dr who did my procedure said the reason some people still bleed after having it done is because they have fibroids so they did an ultrasound before my procedure to make sure there were none there and some drs do not do this so that is something to consider. Today.. 2 years later.. I rarely cramp at that time of the month and it is for a short period of time. less than a day. about every 3-4 months I have a VERY light period.. It will last a day or two and be more like spotting. I am so glad I did the procedure and my insurance covered it.

I hope this helps!!
  • joy31021
    joy31021 Posts: 216
    Options
    novasure changed my life. One the best decisions I ever made. Haven't had a period since (55)
  • bane0317
    Options
    thanks for the input! bump!
  • kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I also had the ablation done about 2 years ago and I couldn't be happier. I've had no ill effects from it whatsoever. I get a "lite" period every other month that lasts a couple of days and no bleeding during the other months. This is such a relief compared to the horror I went through prior to the procedure. My doctor did tell me that sometimes you have to have the procedure re-done after 5 or 6 years, but I wouldn't hesitate to get it done again if I had to.
  • deegeyspazms
    deegeyspazms Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi - sorry to hear you're having a rotten time.
    Last year I was flooding and having to go home every month which was especially awful as I'm a primary school teacher!
    I wasn't allowed BCP because of my migraines. So I had the nova-sure procedure under general anaesthetic. I had no pain afterwards (well - nothing compared to period pains!). The only uncomfortable part was when they used a camera to check that I had no fibroids 2 months prior to the procedure.

It was the best thing I ever did - I lose about 2 teaspoons a month - it's a breeze. I have a bit of pain, but nothing like what I had before!
    I hope everything works out for you.
    Be good to yourself
    x
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I got the Mirena and my periods are very light, maybe once every four months and I don't have cramps. My sister and a lot of my friends have gotten the Mirena too, and they have all had the same effect.
    the insertion is painful but it's only a minute.
    Also, the hormones really don't act outside the uterus or in your blood stream to the same effect as BC. I did Depo provera and it really killed my drive, Mirena is great for the "peaks no valleys".:wink:
  • manda1002
    manda1002 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Wow. I need to make an appt with my doc to talk about having this done. I just recently got off of implanon (my TOM was lasting 30-40 days on it) and now we're waiting to see if my body can regulate itself, but remembering how they went before, it's still going to be 10-14 days of intense cramping and heavy heavy bleeding. I would love to feel normal for once in my life, and this sounds like it's exactly what I need! Thanks for the topic, OP!
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    This sounds pretty drastic of a suggestion, but if you are done having children, or have no intention of having any, why not get a hysterectomy? I had one at 36, and I have to say it was the best decision I've made. I struggled for years with endometreosis, and finally a condition called adenomyosis (spelling??) so needless to say my pain was constant, and no relief was available, and believe me, I tried them all. Since then, I've suffered very little side effects, I still have one ovary so I am getting enough hormones. I'm not on any kind of supplement, I only have a few problems with my feet having hot flashes. (I know, weird, right?)
    It was a difficult decision to come to, but in retrospect I would do it again.
  • MamaKeeks
    MamaKeeks Posts: 234
    Options
    I had the Mirena and it was terrible for me. Although the hormones are supposed to be localized, they still can affect you, and for me they did, and very negatively. I was tired, irritable, angry. My anger would flash at the tiniest thing - not good with two little ones! I ended up removing it myself one day and do not regret that decision at all.

After googling Mirena and its side effects, I found out I was not alone on how it can effect your mood. However, many other women have had it and rave about it, so all to say that it works for some, but not all!

Ablation was recommended to me and i was hesitant to do it, but after reading this perhaps I will rethink it....!

Thanks for sharing this post!
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I had an ablation done three years ago under general anesthesia. BEST DECISION EVER!
    I had my tubes tied 12 years prior to that and had suffered long, painful, floods every month and was sick of it. My Dr. suggested the ablation after discovering fibroids. After the initial two weeks of a slight discharge following the procedure I have had NO monthly visitor since. I do however notice slight mood changes and food cravings just as I did before but no more cramping or monthly period. Since it was three years ago, I don't really remember much (if any) pain following the procedure. I know they prescribed a pain med but I never got it filled so I must have just taken Tylenol for any pain. Had it done on Friday and was back to work on Monday.
  • kristen49233
    Options
    This sounds pretty drastic of a suggestion, but if you are done having children, or have no intention of having any, why not get a hysterectomy? I had one at 36, and I have to say it was the best decision I've made. I struggled for years with endometreosis, and finally a condition called adenomyosis (spelling??) so needless to say my pain was constant, and no relief was available, and believe me, I tried them all. Since then, I've suffered very little side effects, I still have one ovary so I am getting enough hormones. I'm not on any kind of supplement, I only have a few problems with my feet having hot flashes. (I know, weird, right?)

A hysterectomy is major surgery and far more serious then an ablation. Prior to finding my doctor I swore up and down that I wanted a hysterectomy so that I wouldn't have to put up with the bleeding that I dealt with. An ablation is a much more mild procedure. Why have something so drastic if a more minor procedure will take care of what's going on?
  • kristen49233
    Options
    I had an ablation done three years ago under general anesthesia. BEST DECISION EVER!
    I had my tubes tied 12 years prior to that and had suffered long, painful, floods every month and was sick of it. My Dr. suggested the ablation after discovering fibroids. After the initial two weeks of a slight discharge following the procedure I have had NO monthly visitor since. I do however notice slight mood changes and food cravings just as I did before but no more cramping or monthly period. Since it was three years ago, I don't really remember much (if any) pain following the procedure. I know they prescribed a pain med but I never got it filled so I must have just taken Tylenol for any pain. Had it done on Friday and was back to work on Monday.

Your experience sounds exactly like mine, only I had my tubes tied this past year (after the ablation). I forgot to mention that I still get the monthly PMS symptons even when I don't have my period.
  • bane0317
    Options

Really can't afford time off from work (single income household) and don't want anything removed unless medically necessary. Not to that point yet. In the south Drs. tend to be hyster happy! Just wish my body could be more self regulating!
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Have you even been given an explination for your excessive bleeding?
  • jldaley09
    jldaley09 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I want to say also that I do still get moody and have some cravings like before.. but it sure beats the flooding!! I would do it all over again. Some of these women say they had general anesthesia but I didn't.. I was given a pain med prior to the procedure and one for after.. I would have been terrified to go under..lol I'm a sissy that way.
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options

A hysterectomy is major surgery and far more serious then an ablation. Prior to finding my doctor I swore up and down that I wanted a hysterectomy so that I wouldn't have to put up with the bleeding that I dealt with. An ablation is a much more mild procedure. Why have something so drastic if a more minor procedure will take care of what's going on?

I guess I am not sure what this procedure is. That being said, since my problem was specifically with my uteurus it was really the only option for me. Plus, that was never offered to me, maybe because it wasn't a viable option for me. Adenomyosis is damage to the lining of the uterus, and was only discovered AFTER they opened me up. I had a uterus the size of someone who was 6 months pregnant, so even if that procedure had been an option, I'm sure the doctor would've changed her mind once she saw that.
  • bane0317
    Options
    Have you even been given an explination for your excessive bleeding?

no, no real explanation. they did ultrasounds to confirm that i didn't have fibroids or anything because I was spotting constantly for 3 - 4 months a couple of years ago. i thought it was odd because the tech said i had almost no lining, but was still spotting.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    Had it done 16 months ago... i still get pain, but almost no period to speak of...very awesome for the pool or beach, and not having plans/vacations ruined from 10 to 14 days of bleeding. i would do it again!
  • emstaley4
    emstaley4 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I had ablation done about 4/5 years ago and it was great for about 6 months and then right back to where I was. I was one of the 20% that has little or no success. I ended up having a hysterectomy (uterus only) and it was the BEST thing I have ever done. Wish I had done it sooner. It is surgery and the recovery time was a week no activity and then only light activity for 6 weeks. 24hrs in the hospital and then home. I did well with that. It sounds like you have done your research so go with what will make you comfortable. Alot of women I know have had success, I was one of the unfortunate like I said. Not sorry that I did ablation first though.
  • linda768
    linda768 Posts: 22
    Options
    I had an ablation in 2005 and it was one of the best decisions of my life. I no longer have periods. I didn't have any problems during recovery and I was back to my job (heavy lifting) after a week. If I had it to do again, I definitely would.

Something to consider though, if you have fibroids, it doesn't stop them from going. Talk to your doctor about that. Last year I had a Uterine Arterial Embolization for fibroids. My recovery from that was hell. But, six months later, the doctors are very happy with my progress.

Ablations can also make finding uterine cancer more difficult. If you happen to get pregnant after it, it can be life threatening. Do some research and talk to your doctor. Best of luck to you!