runners: timing music for jeff galloway method

Options
i have a half marathon coming up in 2 weeks and i am trying to get my playlist figured out. i have been training without music, but will be using music during the race.

i use jog.fm to calculate the beats per minute of a song to determine if i want to use it or not. i believe it is very helpful in keeping a consistent pace for have timed music. using the jeff galloway method of running and walking, do i go with the beat designed for the pace of the run, or for the walk, or my average pace with both of them together?

example, i run for 2 minutes at a 10 minute mile pace (150 bpm) and walk for 1 minute at a 14 minute mile pace (110 bpm). my average is an 11:30 minute mile (135 bpm). which bpm do you think will be the most helpful? which would you use in making a playlist?

thanks for any help.

Replies

• catweazle12
    catweazle12 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    If you haven't been training with music I'd be careful if I were you.
    My friend didn't train with music at all, I did sometimes. We ran a 10K and my friend decided to run with music. I told her not to let the music take her along too fast. Well she didn't realize how powerful the beat of a song can be LOL. Unfortunately she went out too fast and didn't finish the race well.
    Have a few training runs with music and see what happens....
    Good luck in your race...
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    thanks. i know how important beat is, that is why i want to make sure and get it right. i don't want to download 40 songs and have them be the wrong bpm. i think i might download 15 of the 150 and 15 of the 130 to see which ones i prefer.
  • godblessourhome
    Options
    bumping to hopefully get some insight.
  • sassika
    sassika Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • onlyhalfcrazy
    onlyhalfcrazy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    If you have a smart phone you can down load a metronome app. it will beat according to how many bpm you set. Play with it til you figure out where your comfortable and then download the music that falls into that range. I have run races just using the metronome and have done fairly well. Good luck!!
  • godblessourhome
    Options
    i know what my pace is; i just need to know which music pace to download, the run or the walk or the average. :)
  • butters1
    butters1 Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I can only speak for myself. In your case, i am definately downloading my run speed. Anything slower would kill my run. I can walk to more upbeat though, no problem.
  • godblessourhome
    Options
    thanks. that makes sense. :) run pace it is.
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I'd agree with the earlier poster. If you didn't train with music, I wouldn't run the race with it. You might find it distracting or annoying. On race day there is always noise and hecticness and crowds. You might find that this with the added distraction of music takes you off your game.

Also, I find it difficult to run races without full awareness of whats going on all around me.

Just some thoughts.