i need some advice PLEASE!!

Options
If I take a kickboxing class three times a week for an hour each time would you recommend that I exercise on the days I am not doing the kick boxing? I just can’t eat all the calories. I know that sounds crazy but like today I have only eaten 300 calories so far and after I eat my lunch I will have 1334 calories remaining to eat. I know exercise is great but should I just do it and not worry about the extra calories that I am supposed to eat? I want to lose weight so bad please help me!!

Replies

9726172000 Posts: 428
    Options
    Well you should try and eat some of your excercise cals. The trick is not to go below 1200 total intake cals. If you do that on a consistant basis then your body will actually start to keep and hold on to every little piece of food you put into your body. On the days you don't do kickboxing why not try and incorporate some strength training. This way you can start to build leaner muscles and more leaner they are the better you will burn more cals when you are at rest
  • 8turboturtle8
    8turboturtle8 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am curious about this as well...I am meeting with a trainer on Saturday and I will ask him and let you know if someone can't help you before then.
  • shaleah77
    Options
    The exercise calorie thing (to eat or not to eat) is somewhat debated on here. I exercise at least 5 times a week (80 min of cardio per day- 1 hr elliptical 5.5 - 6.5mph level 4 with random hills, plus 20 min on stationary bike 90-100rpms, alpine pass level 8). Sometimes I do more. Also I sometimes throw in some exercise tv workouts at home. I don't eat my cals back. I did have one stagnant week where I did not lose anything.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I am curious about this as well...I am meeting with a trainer on Saturday and I will ask him and let you know if someone can't help you before then.

just make sure, when you talk to your trainer to explain that MFP already set's a calorie deficit for you regardless of exercise. That changes the way they think about the exercise calorie debate.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    If I take a kickboxing class three times a week for an hour each time would you recommend that I exercise on the days I am not doing the kick boxing? I just can’t eat all the calories. I know that sounds crazy but like today I have only eaten 300 calories so far and after I eat my lunch I will have 1334 calories remaining to eat. I know exercise is great but should I just do it and not worry about the extra calories that I am supposed to eat? I want to lose weight so bad please help me!!

you really should try to set up a calorie schedule and stick to it. If you know when you will be working out, and approximately how many calories you will be burning when you do, you can factor them in. If you do this, and spread out your calories so you're eating about 350 per meal and then maybe 200 per snack, you should be able to make it quite easily.

I.E.

8:00 am morning meal - 350 cals

10:00 am snack 200 cals

12:30 meal 350 cals

3:00 snack 200 cals

5:30 meal 300 cals

7:30 snack 200 cals

if you are on a 1200 cal diet and exercise for 400 cals, this would be perfect, adjust as necessary.

this is pretty much how a lot of people do it on here, it's not the only way, but it's effective.
  • christyodom2
    christyodom2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank y'all so much!! I want to lose weight so bad. I just want to make sure that I do everything the right way!!
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Yes, To Eat or Not to Eat! That is the question........... :drinker:

I have the same problem with Turbo Kickboxing,1 or 2 x a week.
    Last night I also stayed for the next class .... Zumba! Really fun Latin dancing.

It was so late by the time I got home, but ate anyway to get up to the 1200 min cals.
    Then so many cals still leftover cuz of all the exercise! :grumble: :glasses:
    I have been up & down the same 2 lbs. now for over a month. :sad:

My best weight loss happened when I was working out with a trainer:
    doing weight training 3x a week, cardio & stretching on the inbetween days.

I'm stuck right now & trying to figure this out as well............
    Can't afford more training. Anybody got self-discipline pills for cheap??? :bigsmile: :laugh:
  • christyodom2
    christyodom2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I work out two days from 6-7 and on one from 10-11. I burn 853 calories on the kickboxing. Where do you find healthy food with that many calories? I am not trying to sound crazy this is just all new to me!! Thanks for your help!!
  • barbarella
    Options
    BOSS! That's a great plan.........

I'm going to give that a whirl too!

Thanks Mucho!!! :flowerforyou: :love:
  • chrisann84
    Options
    Im the same way, however, you need to realize that say you eat 1000 calories a day, but your also nurning 5 to 600...Then your body is only running off of the left over 400. Which is not good! You need carbs and energy. Especially if you are trying to lose weight. I also think on the other days you should try 30 min of cardio. If your only doing kick boxing (which is awesome), but your body will hit a plateau and get used to just that one exercise. Try running or stairmaster 2 other days a week. and eat more! =)
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    just eat really calories dense foods, almonds for example. so good for you, but lots of cals
  • KristyO
    KristyO Posts: 126
    Options
    The exercise calorie thing (to eat or not to eat) is somewhat debated on here. I exercise at least 5 times a week (80 min of cardio per day- 1 hr elliptical 5.5 - 6.5mph level 4 with random hills, plus 20 min on stationary bike 90-100rpms, alpine pass level 8). Sometimes I do more. Also I sometimes throw in some exercise tv workouts at home. I don't eat my cals back. I did have one stagnant week where I did not lose anything.

I also exercise 4-5x/week and I try not to eat my calories back. The more you burn over what you eat the better, right? Obviously, if I'm hungry, I will eat (since your body will essentially cling to fat if it thinks there isn't food around) but if I end up with a lot of calories left at the end of the day and I'm going to bed satisfied I think that can only be good.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

I also exercise 4-5x/week and I try not to eat my calories back. The more you burn over what you eat the better, right? Obviously, if I'm hungry, I will eat (since your body will essentially cling to fat if it thinks there isn't food around) but if I end up with a lot of calories left at the end of the day and I'm going to bed satisfied I think that can only be good.

this is not really correct. At least it's not the accepted ideology for the Majority of MFP users. if you go to the message boards link then click on General Diet and Weight loss, there are a couple of sticky posts at the top (with the little mouse trap next to them) I would read through them. No need to restate what's already been said. Needless to say, there are many good reasons to eat your exercise calories. Not the least of which is that if you eat too few calories (Yes, even if you don't feel hungry) you can cause your body to start slowing down organs, canabalize muscle, and store extra fat.
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    this is not really correct. At least it's not the accepted ideology for the Majority of MFP users. if you go to the message boards link then click on General Diet and Weight loss, there are a couple of sticky posts at the top (with the little mouse trap next to them) I would read through them. No need to restate what's already been said. Needless to say, there are many good reasons to eat your exercise calories. Not the least of which is that if you eat too few calories (Yes, even if you don't feel hungry) you can cause your body to start slowing down organs, canabalize muscle, and store extra fat.

I admire your patience on going over this again and again and again.......... :flowerforyou:
  • RecliningFigure
    RecliningFigure Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Yes, To Eat or Not to Eat! That is the question........... :drinker:

I have the same problem with Turbo Kickboxing,1 or 2 x a week.
    Last night I also stayed for the next class .... Zumba! Really fun Latin dancing.

It was so late by the time I got home, but ate anyway to get up to the 1200 min cals.
    Then so many cals still leftover cuz of all the exercise! :grumble: :glasses:
    I have been up & down the same 2 lbs. now for over a month. :sad:

My best weight loss happened when I was working out with a trainer:
    doing weight training 3x a week, cardio & stretching on the inbetween days.

I'm stuck right now & trying to figure this out as well............
    Can't afford more training. Anybody got self-discipline pills for cheap??? :bigsmile: :laugh:

Here's my self-discipline red pill although it's not cheap on the psychi: I put on a clingy tank top, turn the lights up, and look into the mirror. :bigsmile: Although it doesn't always work.:grumble:

Here's the green pill, very cheap: I look at how far I've come. Better on the psychi, but doesn't work as well as the red pill.:huh:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Here's my self-discipline red pill although it's not cheap on the psychi: I put on a clingy tank top, turn the lights up, and look into the mirror. :bigsmile: Although it doesn't always work.:grumble:

Here's the green pill, very cheap: I look at how far I've come. Better on the psychi, but doesn't work as well as the red pill.:huh:

Ha, that's just like my pill, except yours is milder. I look in the mirror naked. Nowhere to hide the chunkie bits when you're naked! Best motivation ever!
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    One thing I have heard on the eating your exercise calorie debate is that if you have enough fat on your body, you can get away with not eating them, or eating fewer of them. All that exercise "should" force your body to burn the fat stores. HOWEVER, I am not recommending anyone go below the 1200 minimum calories MFP recommends.

And, after saying that, and considering what that 700 calorie diet and gainging fat article says, it seems to me, that you might lose weight faster by not eating the exercise calories in the beginning, but you risk overall success of losing all the weight you want and maintaining that weight loss afterwards.

I want a magic bullet as much as the next person, but for me with weight loss, magic bullets haven't worked. Sometimes the advice "experts" give is about how to lose weight and get into shape the quickest, but not what is the most successfull long-term.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    One thing I have heard on the eating your exercise calorie debate is that if you have enough fat on your body, you can get away with not eating them, or eating fewer of them. All that exercise "should" force your body to burn the fat stores. HOWEVER, I am not recommending anyone go below the 1200 minimum calories MFP recommends.

And, after saying that, and considering what that 700 calorie diet and gainging fat article says, it seems to me, that you might lose weight faster by not eating the exercise calories in the beginning, but you risk overall success of losing all the weight you want and maintaining that weight loss afterwards.

I want a magic bullet as much as the next person, but for me with weight loss, magic bullets haven't worked. Sometimes the advice "experts" give is about how to lose weight and get into shape the quickest, but not what is the most successfull long-term.

While it is true that the more weight you have to lose, the bigger the deficit can safely be, that gap is different for everyone, and also, remember, the faster you lose weight, the more loose your skin becomes. If you lose weight at a slower, more managable pace you avoid many of the health conditions (loose skin among them) that can crop up from it. I.E. depression, joint pain, glandular issues...etc.
  • barbarella
    Options

Ha, that's just like my pill, except yours is milder. I look in the mirror naked. Nowhere to hide the chunkie bits when you're naked! Best motivation ever!

HA, HA! All of these "pills" are good ones! :flowerforyou: :love:
    I mostly do the naked one..... that is definitely the hardest pill to swallow! :laugh: :bigsmile: