Has anyone tried Calorie Cycling?

Options

Replies

• fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I have done this before as well. Also, I found out on accident that a very high calorie bad day (basically binged) got me out of a plateua as well. Apparently throwing you body a curve ball kickstarts your metabolism!
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    I have a weekly bonus calorie allowance that I incorporate which is similar. I use most of the allowance on the weekends and spread the rest throughout the rest of my week. I got to goal on weight watchers and they do something similar where you have weekly bonus points to use. So, when I started counting calories, I knew that was the major aspect of ww that got me where I wanted to me so I just kept it in my plan. It works great and really keeps my body guessing/losing.
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    Options
    bump for later knowledge
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I've done it before with good results at breaking a plateau of more than a month's duration. I had even better results when I cycled carbs along with calories, so I had low carb, moderate carb and higher carb days with my protein staying roughly consistent at about 0.75/ lb of lean body mass or higher. I'm not ready to jump back into that yet, though. Right now I'm trying to work to a weekly average with natural high and low days, but if I hit a plateau, I'll probably go back to it.
  • Skye1999
    Skye1999 Posts: 29
    Options
    Years ago my Dr told me I ought to diet so he advised me to go on a strict diet for 1 week, then the following week to eat normally, but not put on any weight. He used to weigh me every 2 weeks and that really did work as the weight dropped off as did the inches quite quickly. I would think that this is similar. I am only losing a pound a week and I would llike to lose more. I read that some people can lose 3-4 lbs per week, wish I could.
  • kaf330
    kaf330 Posts: 61
    Options
    bump
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for about two weeks, so I can't report on the results yet. It's taken some getting used to though, because I have become so accustomed to lower calorie days that if I don't plan ahead I end up with too many calories later on (and I want to try to not just binge on junk to make the calorie limit). I think it will take a couple more weeks for me to get the hang of it. But I like the concept, especially since we end up eating out once a week so I can enjoy and feel better about the day.

One thing that's helped, is creating an exercise entry for my high calorie days, and a food entry for my low calorie days. That way I don't have to do any guessing about what my day looks like.
  • Axels91
    Axels91 Posts: 213
    Options
    i will be doing this starting friday. i think its a great idea
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Update***** I've been calorie cycling for the last 2 weeks to try and break my weight loss plateau. Initially, I gained weight even though I'm eating the same amount of calories each week. However, after the 2nd week, I've actually lost the extra weight plus 1 pound now. So I think this is working. This week and next should really give me an idea. If so, I should hit my target weight within a month.
  • hazelsmrf
    hazelsmrf Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I do a version of calorie cycling, on one day I eat really low calorie and the next I eat high calorie. My calorie levels are 500 and 2300. It averages out to 1400 a day, the 500 cal days have become surprisingly easy for me (no hunger) and I love that on the days that i eat 2300 I don't even feel like I'm on a diet. This is definitely something that I can sustain for life, I've been doing this since the beginning of the year and loving it.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    If so, I should hit my target weight within a month.

Keep in mind that the closer you get to your ideal weight, the harder it is to lose that last few pounds and the longer it takes. This is natural and healthy. Don't set an expectation that sets you up for disappointment, and don't let weight be your sole judge of health.

Calorie cycling is a decent way to break a plateau, but the last 9 pounds you lose are probably not going to go away in a month if your current target is bringing you down to a 25-or-below BMI. Your body will, in effect, put up more and more resistance to losing weight as you get close to your goal. If you up your exercise, you'll gain muscle weight. If you lower your calories, your metabolism will be more sensitive to it because you have fewer fat reserves to burn for energy.

Of course, each individual is different, but I think you'll find that the last few pounds take quite some time. Don't be disheartened by this! Be patient and remember that different stages of weight loss require different ways of thinking and approaching the task, and that each person's body reacts a little differently to things. Experiment to find out what works for you.
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    If so, I should hit my target weight within a month.

Keep in mind that the closer you get to your ideal weight, the harder it is to lose that last few pounds and the longer it takes. This is natural and healthy. Don't set an expectation that sets you up for disappointment, and don't let weight be your sole judge of health.

Calorie cycling is a decent way to break a plateau, but the last 9 pounds you lose are probably not going to go away in a month if your current target is bringing you down to a 25-or-below BMI. Your body will, in effect, put up more and more resistance to losing weight as you get close to your goal. If you up your exercise, you'll gain muscle weight. If you lower your calories, your metabolism will be more sensitive to it because you have fewer fat reserves to burn for energy.

Of course, each individual is different, but I think you'll find that the last few pounds take quite some time. Don't be disheartened by this! Be patient and remember that different stages of weight loss require different ways of thinking and approaching the task, and that each person's body reacts a little differently to things. Experiment to find out what works for you.

I'm being realistic. Even if I lose 9 more pounds, which is the next goal I've set, I'm still on the high scale of where my idea weight should be. I've been there before and usually my body is pretty responsive to getting there. Plateaus usually don't happen to me for a sustained amount of time.
  • sniperzzzz
    sniperzzzz Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I have had great success calorie and carb cycling, its what i am doing at the moment and its working very well indeed!
  • marlenia
    marlenia Posts: 33
    Options
    I have been alternating my calories since I began my weight loss journey. It is super easy............and most definitely works! As another person posted, it does feel like you are cheating on the "big" days and I often times move my days around to suit events. I found a chart that I follow on alldietsource.com. I use mfp to track my calories. On my larger calorie days, I add a cardiovascular exercise called xtra calories and manually enter my calories. I wish mfp had a manual daily alternating calorie goal......but this works for now. Best of luck to you and happy counting! :smile:
  • Bagman12002
    Bagman12002 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    bump
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I do a version of calorie cycling, on one day I eat really low calorie and the next I eat high calorie. My calorie levels are 500 and 2300. It averages out to 1400 a day, the 500 cal days have become surprisingly easy for me (no hunger) and I love that on the days that i eat 2300 I don't even feel like I'm on a diet. This is definitely something that I can sustain for life, I've been doing this since the beginning of the year and loving it.

The 500 cal days how do you eat - 1 or 2 meals only towards the end of the day, lots of little snacks?
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post. I am going to try this. I have been stuck on a plateau since Jan, and I am only 1-2 lbs. from my goal. Extremely frustrating!
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I've done it before with good results at breaking a plateau of more than a month's duration. I had even better results when I cycled carbs along with calories, so I had low carb, moderate carb and higher carb days with my protein staying roughly consistent at about 0.75/ lb of lean body mass or higher. I'm not ready to jump back into that yet, though. Right now I'm trying to work to a weekly average with natural high and low days, but if I hit a plateau, I'll probably go back to it.

I think it makes a difference incorporating the different level of carbs even though most would say its only about the calories.
  • hazelsmrf
    hazelsmrf Posts: 96 Member
    Options

The 500 cal days how do you eat - 1 or 2 meals only towards the end of the day, lots of little snacks?

After lots of trials I found that one high protein meal works best for me. And I eat it as late in the day as possible. Today is one of my low cal days and I'm probably not going to eat anything until 7pm, then eat a plate of chicken, cucumber, tomato... There are others who graze all day, but I found that eating triggers hunger for me and as long as I haven't eaten yet I am not hungry, which makes it pretty effortless. Protein has been key for me, but there are others who do better with high fat, or a high volume of low cal foods. The plan is called "The Alternate Day Diet" or "Up day down day diet", JUDDD for short.

I had been intermittent fasting for a while before I came across this eating plan, but I was doing an eating window every day as opposed to alternate day fasting, this was my first attempt at this and I've absolutely loved it, it's been great for me and has been really easy to fit around my life (if there's an event coming up, just shuffle it around so that it falls on an "up day").
  • CraftyPayne
    Options
    Great question , I have never heard of this before . Lost 1lb this week but lost nothing the week before so may try this if i stay the same again next week :O)