How important is a shoe fitting for running?

Options
Is it REALLY important? Kinda important? Doesn't matter?

I have one ankle that is pretty temperamental, is it possible that it would mellow out with the proper shoes? Or?

Replies

• bearxfoo
    bearxfoo Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Running is very high impact - I'd say shoe fit is probably the most important thing. Wearing an ill-fitting shoe, even for just walking, can have serious damaging affects on your body, like pulling muscles and causing injuries.

You should always wear shoes that fit!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    VERY important. I mean, super duper.

Running changed for me 100% after I got properly fitted for shoes at a specialty store. My runs got more comfortable and I have had so much less joint pain! Especially if you seriously over or under pronate, have existing joint issues, etc. I highly recommend getting fitted for shoes that are perfect for your gait :)
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Running is very high impact - I'd say shoe fit is probably the most important thing. Wearing an ill-fitting shoe, even for just walking, can have serious damaging affects on your body, like pulling muscles and causing injuries.

^^This^^
    It's been said on other forums as well - the best investment you can make in running is to get properly fitted at a specialty store - not a chain - where people that work there run. They can analyze your stride and your foot strike and fit you in a shoe that works for you. Many places will let you take them home and run on them for a bit and return them if you need to.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Extremely important! Your shoes are your only equipment, if you buy the wrong kind you can end up with injuries. It's well worth finding a good running shop, have them evaluate your stride/foot type and choose the proper type of shoes for you.
  • sorrelduncan
    sorrelduncan Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Proper fitting, good running shoes are among the MOST important things about running. It is very likely that your shoes are the cause of your ankle pain.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Agree with all above - the single most important thing you will do for running is get fitted professionally for the right shoe. Without the right shoe, you are making it a lot harder on yourself.
  • sunshine421969
    sunshine421969 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I think its very important, I started running 2 yrs. ago...the first 6 months I ran in my everyday tennis shoe..my feet killed me..then I was told how important it was to have a running shoe.I am now on my second pair of running shoes.One Under Armour and the ones I have now is Brooks...which I love !!
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Is it REALLY important? Kinda important? Doesn't matter?

I have one ankle that is pretty temperamental, is it possible that it would mellow out with the proper shoes? Or?
    I would not buy running shoes without being fitted at a running store. There's no charge and the folks at the store probably have a better understanding of the right shoe for you than a new runner.

runnersworld.com is a good site for new runners while runningtimes.com appeals to the more advanced runner. And there are tons of other resources, those are just two that I visit often.

Start slow, finish fast!

:-)
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    really important.

i used to get shin splints, badly, from the wrong shoes.

don't be afraid to second guess what a pro fits you for. i was *supposed* to need minor motion control, turns out they are worse for me than minimal/zero control.

fun part is you find this stuff out after putting in some miles.
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options

I agree I have two pairs of shoes and my new shoes are my work out shoes indoor use only and they are a running shoe love them, however I have another pair of shoes that I bought that are also a running/walking shoe and I can tell the difference big time they were a cheaper version and they are now falling apart and they really are not the best shoe for running.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Just adding to what has already been said...it is super duper important. Go to a good running store. If they won't let you go outside (or have a nice place inside) and test them, don't buy them. Two other important things to remember after you get the right pair of shoes: 1. Only wear them for running. Other uses will break them in differently and you won't maintain the fit you need. 2. Keep track of your mileage on your shoes...replace them after 500 miles or sooner if needed.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I think its very important, I started running 2 yrs. ago...the first 6 months I ran in my everyday tennis shoe..my feet killed me..then I was told how important it was to have a running shoe.I am now on my second pair of running shoes.One Under Armour and the ones I have now is Brooks...which I love !!

I started running in June 2011 and went through two pair by February. Check your sneaks for wear and, if there's any doubt, get rid of them.

Since we're overweight, or formerly so, most people on this site should be really careful to make sure that we use the right shoe and that we don't run when it's worn out. Injuries are far more expensive than new shoes.

See you down the road!
  • aggiesrar05
    aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    VERY VERY Important.

I got fitted at a running store and bought the pair at the store when I started running. Usually buy a new pair every 6 months. That gets kind of expensive but if you know what you wear (after being fitted) you can usually find them cheaper on Zappos.
  • BodyRockerVT
    BodyRockerVT Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    2. Keep track of your mileage on your shoes...replace them after 500 miles or sooner if needed.

Sorry that made me giggle hehe. I can't imagine EVER running 500 miles at this point...The most I have ever done at this point is 10 minutes at like 5mph....I suck.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    2. Keep track of your mileage on your shoes...replace them after 500 miles or sooner if needed.

Sorry that made me giggle hehe. I can't imagine EVER running 500 miles at this point...The most I have ever done at this point is 10 minutes at like 5mph....I suck.

and it begins....
    give it time. you'll get there.
  • _Tristan_
    _Tristan_ Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Only important if your feet, knees or ankles start to get sore or hurt.
    If that starts to happen then you've become a real runner, go get shoes.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    really important if you care about your knees and feet.
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    SUPER
  • sheryllamb72
    sheryllamb72 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Definitely get a fitting...... Ankles, knees, shins, toes......it all takes a beating when running. Black bruised toe nails are a normality.....get a proper fitting. =0)
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I think the message is clear .... fitting is very important When you decide to get fitted - bring the running shoes you are currently using so they can see how you wear it.

One of the things I think is important - it helps prevent injuries when they are properly fitted - and it prevents some aches and pains.

Most serious runners change their shoes every 300 miles. When I found the shoe that fitted me (ECCO) the best and I liked running in - I looked for the "make and model" online and found them at an acceptable (to me) price.

I am generally frugal - but not when it comes to running shoes - you can do a lot of damage if you don't use the right shoe.