Is it ok to "splurge" with your favorite foods 1 day a week?

Options
This means I will go over my calorie/fat/carb intake - but not by much. Nonetheless, it's chips, french fries. I'm only talking once a week. My rest day. Every day thereon, i'm on this strict program!

Replies

• Lisabeth
    Lisabeth Posts: 268
    Options
    This means I will go over my calorie/fat/carb intake - but not by much. Nonetheless, it's chips, french fries. I'm only talking once a week. My rest day. Every day thereon, i'm on this strict program!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    It's very ok. I treat myself to chocolate every sunday...... mmmm. I try not to go over my calories though, you might surprise yourself and be able to fit it in, or just go for a walk and burn up those last few that you go over.
  • Lisabeth
    Options
    Unfortunately, I went way over my calories. But again, I work hard all other 6 days. Will this mess up my metabolism?
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    I had a doughnut today. And I wasn't the least bit ashamed! I worked really hard all week, and I wanted a doughnut, so I had one! I'm still on my plan, this is just my reward for such a good hard week of work and eating right! It was a good doughnut too, chocolate frosted boston creme with sprinkles! It was yuuuuuummmmyyy!

And no, 1 day over your calories won't mess up your metabolism. Unless you have a body chemistry issue (which you would know about, like low blood sugar or something like that)
  • rayneenie
    rayneenie Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Most Experts are now saying that occasional cheat is going to help your metabolism. The idea being that it shocks your system.
  • Lisabeth
    Options
    Thanks Banks....cuz my splurge was a Big Mac and French Fries and Chips with diet coke (that's all i had today)...but I took out one of the meat in the big mac. If I dont' treat myself once a week, I'll get so discouraged. I'll make it all up this week in working out and of course, eating properly!
  • dshandt
    dshandt Posts: 192
    Options
    Sounds like you probably are doing this, but....I recommend logging everything, even when you splurge.....if I make "exceptions" then it will be easier to not log everything all the time....downhill spiral.
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    Options
    Thanks Banks....cuz my splurge was a Big Mac and French Fries and Chips with diet coke (that's all i had today)...but I took out one of the meat in the big mac. If I dont' treat myself once a week, I'll get so discouraged. I'll make it all up this week in working out and of course, eating properly!

Lucky you went with the diet coke, otherwise you would have been way out of line! :laugh:

I think it's fine. Just as others have said, your body is extremely efficient at adapting to what you are putting into it. By eating something like that from time to time you are effectively telling your body that food is plentiful, and that there is no need to store it up. Plus from what I understand, by giving into that craving for a Big Mac, you are much less likely to just splurge and derail yourself longterm. I say, you are good to go! :bigsmile:
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I think it's alright but I never splurge once a week.

However, I don't practice what I preach. I have feelings of guilt and I over react to minor splurges like a Dr. Pepper or piece of candy so I find it easier to stay away and be happy when I go to bed at night rather than upset at myself.

I saw my grandfather last Thursday and I ate a few slices of genoa salami and provolone cheese with dried italian olives. If that makes me feel guilty, imagine what a little treat does to me :)
  • Violet1980
    Options
    I am waiting until I lose another 10 pounds to splurge for real. I did have a margarita tho. but I counted it, I want to feel like I really deserve it.
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I have found if you don't give yourself a day or two in the month, you'll end up binging on more then one occassion!!!!!

Go for it......

Then get back on track
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Do it and enjoy. Even Bob from Biggest Loser said it was OK:flowerforyou:
  • Lisabeth
    Options
    FYI - Thanks all of you for your response. Unfortunately I woke up this morning feeling like poot. I actually FELT the difference in eating junk food. Since I started this fitness/diet/nutrition program, I've felt great both body and mind.......but after a day of "splurging", it definitely whacked my body out.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options

Heh, sure, but next time, forget taking out the meat, instead scrap off that Thousand Island dressing they put on it, THAT is the real killer in a big mac.
  • Lisabeth
    Options
    No way! that was the best part! I'm not a meat eater........lol
    sure, but next time, forget taking out the meat, instead scrap off that Thousand Island dressing they put on it, THAT is the real killer in a big mac.