Anyone else rarely ever stretch?

Options
I run and bike a fair amount each week, but I haven't stretched before a workout in over three years. I only (informally!) stretch after a workout if something feels a little tight. I haven't noticed any difference since I stopped (other than it takes less time to get a run in!), and I haven't had any serious injuries since then either.

Is there a range of opinions on this, or am I the only one that things stretching might not be as critical as we sometimes make it out to be?

Replies

• agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    The most research over the last few years supports what you're doing. No benefit has been found to stretching before exercise, and in fact it can decrease performance and increase injury. There may be some benefit to stretching after.

Here are some links to reliable sources.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/sports/playmagazine/112pewarm.html
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/flexibility/a/aa022102a.htm
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2010-04-15-stretching-muscles_N.htm
    http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/pre-exercise-stretching-killing-workout/story?id=11835944#.T34KUMBulDQ
  • mickeylg
    mickeylg Posts: 5
    Options
    I rarely take the time to stretch, but I always have aches and pains later if I skip it--knots in my back/shoulders, aching quads, sore hamstrings, etc. Trying to get better, because I think it really does help!
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Mickey - you may be able to help the aches and pains by stretching after. :)
  • fitobsessed
    Options
    I don't "stretch" before, but do warm up exercises. I have bad knees and I can't just go into a routine without warming up my muscles. I most definitely stretch after. The benefits for me are that I am less sore, and I have become extremely flexible.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I run and lift but rarely stretch (and never before exercise) as prt of my routine. I hate stretching to be honest.

but... I do find myself stretching out my shoulders and arms quite frequently at work (I have a desk job).
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    No I don't stretch before or after a workout. I do stretch randomly at other times. Like while I'm watching tv or giving my son a bath I will get on the floor and stretch. Just because it feels good and I want to be more flexible. I used to dance so I used to be super flexible... Splits and all. And I do stretch if my muscles are sore.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I pretty much never stretch unless I am doing a class where it is part of the class or if I am sore from lifting.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I only stretch before running and that's because if I don't, I end up with an injury. I only stretch after running, too, otherwise I am crippled the next day. I think age has something to do with it, in my 30s, I never stretched and was never sore or injured. I'm in my 40s now and I definitely need to stretch!

I have also noticed at the gym that males are less likely to stretch than females.
  • JBott84
    JBott84 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I usually stretch throughout the day. It feels good. Like someone else on here, I used to dance and I am sad that all the strength training I have been doing is limiting my flexibility, so (yoga is how I like to stretch) is a must for me. Everyday. Plus it is incredibly relaxing.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I do dynamic stretching before my runs (more of a warmup - get the muscles warm and my heart rate up a little) and after an IT band problem last fall stretch religiously after running. So far so good.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I always do a good stretch and warm up sets before I lift. I'm a male, 190 lbs 5'8 and can almost touch my forehead to my knees when I do a hamstring stretch standing. My OPINION is having this kind of flexibility gives a larger range of motion for my strength training, which means a better workout.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I do a dynamic warmup before pretty much any kind of exercise and stretch after. I love stretching and like to take advantage of having my muscles warmed up.
  • philco41
    philco41 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I don't stretch a lot, but tend to do it mostly after exercise. However, I'm 71 and now wish I had given more attention to stretching in the past. I've lost quite a bit of flexibility and it's not easy to get back at this point. Something to consider.
  • KatKatatrophic
    KatKatatrophic Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I don't find the point. I use to stretch before volleyball games, but I actually stretched TOO much that I pulled a hamstring. I sadly couldn't play for a while. I stopped stretching. I mean, now I just stretch my arms lightly if they get tight.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I never stretch before my runs and I only stretch if I feel like I need it after major runs. I haven't had any injuries since I stopped stretching before runs. I make sure that I walk a bit to loosen up before I start running, though.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I typically do a deep low back/hip/leg stretch once a day. It only takes 10-15 minutes but really helps me feel less aches and pains. I have horrible knees, so I can tell if I don't do it because my knees cramp more often.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I went for a long time not stretching. I believed (and still do, to a degree), that a gradual warmup is all one really needs. And then I injured my groin with heavy squats. After that happened, I started foam rolling and doing some mobility exercises & dynamic stretching prior to weight lifting workouts. I find that it really warms me up, much more effectively than just warmup sets (which I still do), and thusfar it seems to have gone a long way in preventing further injuries, and making the whole workout feel "looser" and better. I'm planning to stick with it for the foreseeable future.
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    <
    guilty as charged :laugh:
  • heatgal976
    heatgal976 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm in my 30's and I stretch before and after I run. I suffered a pinched nerve/sciatica episode that took ages for me to feel 100%. When I stretch, I aim for my back and hip area to prevent future problems.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I do dynamic stretching before my runs (more of a warmup - get the muscles warm and my heart rate up a little) and after an IT band problem last fall stretch religiously after running. So far so good.

this is me too. IT Band injury about a month ago
    I also stretch before bed-it helps me alot.