This might be a dumb question, but...

Options
What are some other things I could do (besides just straight lifting weights) that might be considered "strength training"? I'm mostly a cardio person at this point, but should probably start thinking about doing more "strength training" since I'm about half way to my goal weight, and don't want to be flabby!!! Are things like yoga and pilates considered more cardio-based or strength-training based?

Opinions??? Thoughts??? Expert Analysis??? I'm open to them all!!!

Replies

• fitobsessed
    Options
    I read on a personal trainer's site (Jeannette Jenkins) that muscular strength/endurance work includes yoga, sculpting and weight training. It will help you boost your metabolism, sculpt and define muscles and try to do it 2-3 times per week.

Yoga is also considered flexibility work, as well as Pilates and stretching. This will help to lengthen and define muscles and increase range of motion in your joints - try to do that 2 times per week.

Hope that helps.
  • fitobsessed
    Options
    And it isn't a dumb question.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    You could check out Jillian Michaels workout DVDs (e.g. 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30). They are a nice combo of cardio, strength, and ab work.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Strength train with your own body weight...push ups, pull ups, tri ep dips all work wonders for upper body and back! Pilates strengthens core and lower back...doing squats, unges, walking lunges, side squats, curtsey squats, calf raises etc...works your legs and butt...

You don't need heavy weights to start, just your own weight :)

As you progress you can start adding in weight...if you are home and don't have weights use: gallon of milk, laundry detergent, big bag of pet food, jug of juice etc...
  • silkandsugar
    Options
    Yoga is a form of strength training because you use your own body weight during the exercises. Plus it's nice and relaxing. WIN WIN!
  • gmpearson
    gmpearson Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    You can do some natural training using body weight, such as push ups, sit ups/crunches, dips, pull ups, etc. Additionally, you could do some resistance training with bands. Weights will get you there, and there are a lot of benefits to the process of tearing your muscle and letting it rebuild. The muscle fibers come back stronger and are denser compared to before. There will generally be some pain associated with this (delayed onset muscle soreness); but that is truly the process of the body repairing the muscle fibers (I am sure someone with a biochem or medical background can explain the actual physiological process).

Anyway, yoga is geared more toward flexibility and stamina, but will build natural muscle by stressing the body during poses. Pilates is more cardio, but has some muscular effects as well.

The jury is completely out (especially on MFP) regarding cardio vs strength training. I am a fan of both, and do both. I classify myself as a runner (not a marathoner), but run 20-25 miles per week. Additionally, I hit the weights for heavy lifting (high weight/low reps) about 3 times a week with a concentration on the arms and core, less on legs. Additionally, I work in other forms of exercise like plyometrics and more circuit-type training. I believe all of this has helped with my overall fitness (I have lost a total of 30 pounds - only about 14 while tracking on MFP), and have been able to lose a pant size/shirt size and become much leaner. I have definite muscle definition in my arms and chest (still waiting on that six pack though).

Greg
  • knowak82
    knowak82 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your input! I read posts on the message boards here and there, and I always hear about the "30 Day Shred" being awesome! I might have to try that out...and some of the other suggestions (squats, pushups, etc.)! Some of my yoga DVDs incorporate pushups and squats, so I think I'm off to a good start :bigsmile:

Thanks again, and any additional suggestions are more than welcome!!! You can never have too much variety in your workouts, right??? :wink:
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Care if I ask your opposition to weights?
  • knowak82
    knowak82 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Care if I ask your opposition to weights?

I don't really have an opposition to lifting weights, I just don't have a lot of experience and don't really know where to start! I currently only have a medicine ball, a pair of 5lb (I think) dumbells, and some 2lb (I think) wristweights. If someone could recommend a good beginner DVD that I could do that is weight training (and didn't require a ton of equipment), I would definitely look into it! I like DVDs because then I have someone there setting my pace, telling me what to do, etc...