Too Much Protien?

Options
Hey everyone!

I've been using MFP for a little over a week, and I have seen good progress :smile: I still keep under my calorie goal, however, I find it hard to not go over my daily protien amount. Everything else i okay. Is too much protien bad for me?

Replies

• Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Not a problem to go over on protein!! That's actually a *minimum* goal, not a maximum, according to my doctor who uses MFP too. I aim to go over on protein and stay under on carbs every day.
  • AvsFreak
    AvsFreak Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Unless a doctor has told you to watch protein intake due to existing kidney issues, the sky is the limit on protein.
  • bandenna
    bandenna Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Awesome :} thanks!
  • SierraElegance
    SierraElegance Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    What is your protein goal? If you're building muscle and losing fat, the best way to estimate your protein intake is 1 gram per pound of body weight. So I aim for at least 130 but sometimes get close to 200! Protein is great to keep you full too!
  • ckneasel
    ckneasel Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    protien goals can range from .7 - 1.0g per pound of bodyweight, assuming you are involved in a weight reistance traning program...
  • LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I'm really surprised to see all the responses saying that you can't have too much protien. You absolutely can. And if its coming from fatty animals, (eggs, chicken, meats, milk, yogurt, etc) it can cause heart and kidney problems and can actually stunt weight loss. How much your body needs is going to depend on what activities you do, and how much lean mass you already have, but please know, you absolutely can take in too much protien.
  • paularavenhill
    Options
    Yes I would agree that too much protien is not a good thing. I have been using MFP for 2 weeks the 1st week I was under in my protien and lost 2lb. last week I have really struggled to keep within the recommended daily intake of potien, some days I'm 17g over which has resulted in my weight staying the same. As almost all foods have protien it is definately a challange to try and reduce this. I am usually under in my calaories and almost always under in my fat but according to the scales this doesn't mean a thing under I can get my protien under control.