confused

Options
hi i wanted to know if i have my goals set up correctly. i am 5'7 and weight 165 , i try to work out 3-4 times a week my workouts are an hour long each time i want to loose 1-2 lbs a week what should my calories per day be? i want to make sure i am doing this right ! thanks !!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• klkelley
    klkelley Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Probably 1200. Just type all the information in and MFP will figure it for you. I was about the same when I started and my calorie count was 1200 without exercise.
  • eileen78
    eileen78 Posts: 10
    Options
    OK THANKS ! i just want to make sure that i am eating the correct amount especially the days i work out ! i want to be eating enough not under or over
  • HardcorePork
    HardcorePork Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    OK THANKS ! i just want to make sure that i am eating the correct amount especially the days i work out ! i want to be eating enough not under or over

it will adjust if you enter your workouts
  • eileen78
    Options
    thank you ! this whole thing is kind of new to me !!
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Probably 1200. Just type all the information in and MFP will figure it for you. I was about the same when I started and my calorie count was 1200 without exercise.

Don't just assume that you are on 1200 calories. Set yourself as lightly active and don't eat back the exercise as that will calculate your BMR with TDEE for you. If you have questions, inbox me
  • eileen78
    Options
    so if my base calories per day is 1200 but then i workout which would give me say 600 more caloreis i would be able to eat 1800 that day?
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Don't use flawed cookie cutter recommendations
  • eileen78
    Options

what does that mean?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    with the amount you have to lose your goal should be 1lb/week, having too large of a deficit will lead to the loss of lean muscle, not just fat. On top of that you should be eating back most of the cals you burn from exercise.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    so if my base calories per day is 1200 but then i workout which would give me say 600 more caloreis i would be able to eat 1800 that day?
    Yes...ALWAYS eat back your exercise calories as MFP already puts you at the ideal deficit. Going lower by not eating workout calories could stall weight loss. Although...I am 5'8" and I was recently 165 and my calories were alotted closer to 1600 for 1lb per week at lightly active. 1200 seem kinda low for your weight and height.
  • littleredfairy
    Options
    Go on a website and work out your BMR, then your TDEE and aim to eat halfway between the two. MFP automatically puts 1200 which in actual fact was less than my BMR and was why I plateaued for two months after initially losing four pounds
  • sunnyflower1177
    Options
    always eat your exercise cals back--you'll backslide if you don't-- you'll be hungry, angry, and whatever else comes with not eating the calories that you burn, I was confused also at one time, but now I'm good. I love the exercise cals because it lets me know I can have something else (healthy-i chose) If i want. Hope this helps!!!
  • _ylime_
    _ylime_ Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    We are about the same weight, and are the same height, and I am eating 1750 NET calories per day... so I actually consume anywhere from 2000 - 2400 depending on my workouts... so far I have lost 6lbs... (in about 7 weeks) and I feel great! Hope that gives you an idea... BUT remember the amount you are eating should be tailored to your lifestyle.... (for reference I am a student so I am on my computer the majority of the day)... there are lots of helpful people on here that know way more than I do... I just wanted to give you some numbers for reference. :smile:
  • Glucocorticoid
    Options

what does that mean?

It means it is silly to use MFP to determine your daily caloric/macronutrient requirements. There are many variables/factors that are involved.
  • chubberlang
    Options

what does that mean?

It means it is silly to use MFP to determine your daily caloric/macronutrient requirements. There are many variables/factors that are involved.

What would you recommend then instead of using mfp?
  • Glucocorticoid
    Options
    You count calories for a few weeks and figure out what your maintenance level is. Then set the deficit or surplus, depending on your goals.
    If you want an upfront estimate - 14-16 cal/lb for maintenance is usually close enough. You would adjust accordingly based on real world changes. Read this for the specifics on where that # comes from: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-to-estimate-maintenance-caloric-intake.html

And there's no need to factor exercise calories into the equation.
  • eileen78
    Options
    Thanks everyone !! I am gonna re evaluate my settings !! Thank you all!!!
  • ckneasel
    ckneasel Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    with the amount you have to lose your goal should be 1lb/week, having too large of a deficit will lead to the loss of lean muscle, not just fat. On top of that you should be eating back most of the cals you burn from exercise.

this is false, AS LONG AS you are doing a weight reisitance traning program...
  • eileen78
    Options
    Go on a website and work out your BMR, then your TDEE and aim to eat halfway between the two. MFP automatically puts 1200 which in actual fact was less than my BMR and was why I plateaued for two months after initially losing four pounds

I did that it says my bmr is 1533 and my tdee is 2376 so I should eat between these to loose weight?