I think I've really changed...

Options
I have not been on MFP long but already I have to say it seems to be changing me for the better. I wanted to share about my conversation I had with a friend today...
This girl has a 6 month old baby and lost 70 lbs. of her baby weight and is now the same size she was in highschool, if not smaller. I asked her what she was eating because I am eating healthier than I was and not losing weight at that rate. I fully expected her to roll out a long list of healthy foods that she fills her day with...that is not what I got. She proceeds to tell me she starts her day with a 100cal pack or a Nature Valley bar. Lunch consists of...wait for it... grapes and a cucumber! Really? Grapes and a cucumber. Her logic being that it really does fill her up because they are water based and take a long time to chew. This is all she eats between the hours of 6:30am and 6:00pm. And then she picks a healthy dinner at night from various recipes. She walks every chance she gets and circuit trains at night. I said to her that if all I ate was a cucumber I would want to shoot myself and she told me well it's hard the first week but you get used to it when your stomach shrinks.
I got off the phone and realized that as fast as she has lost the weight, eating like that is something I want no part of. I used to be that person that wanted the weight off right now and waiting would not work. Mind you, I have had a weight problem now for 6 years. I have finally decided to do it right. Hearing her today made me sad. Sure, you can lose weight at an ungodly rate but how miserable would you be? Not to mention how unhealthy. I am surprised she had enough energy to make it out of the bed, much less care for a baby. I wouldn't be able to.
I wanted to post this because I wanted all of you who post on here with helpful advice to know that I appreciate it so much. And, it's obviously working because I have a totally new mindset about eating than I once did. So, whether you hear it a lot or not, thank you all.

Replies

• olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I think that's when I knew I'd finally "gotten it" too - when I realized that it's not going to deter me if I don't lose everything within a week, or a month, or six months. As soon as I accepted that it would be a long process, I knew if would be a permanent one.

Best of luck to you!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Obviously she's disciplined but that kind of eating can't be sustained, when she goes back to eating "normally" she's in for a very rude surprise.

I wish I'd "gotten it" years ago..............too soon old, too late smart (well, it's never really too late until you're taking the dirt nap)
  • kelceyjean12011
    kelceyjean12011 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: couldn't have said it better myself!! i'm fine with my slow weight loss because i can maintain this lifestyle forever
  • ckneasel
    ckneasel Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    wow i feel some people really have no clue what weight loss is all about...

at the end of the day if your calorie expenditure is greater than your calorie intake you will lose weight...

the eating patterns described by the original poster are not bad by any means... i'm not sure what you don't understand about her diet choices...?

so she lost 70 pounds over 6 months, meaning she lost 11.6 pounds per month, or about 2.9 pounds per week... i would venture to guess that the first several weeks her losses were more than that and the later weeks it was less... her weight loss is not "unhealthy", and will likely be sustainable...
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I have not been on MFP long but already I have to say it seems to be changing me for the better. I wanted to share about my conversation I had with a friend today...
    This girl has a 6 month old baby and lost 70 lbs. of her baby weight and is now the same size she was in highschool, if not smaller. I asked her what she was eating because I am eating healthier than I was and not losing weight at that rate. I fully expected her to roll out a long list of healthy foods that she fills her day with...that is not what I got. She proceeds to tell me she starts her day with a 100cal pack or a Nature Valley bar. Lunch consists of...wait for it... grapes and a cucumber! Really? Grapes and a cucumber. Her logic being that it really does fill her up because they are water based and take a long time to chew. This is all she eats between the hours of 6:30am and 6:00pm. And then she picks a healthy dinner at night from various recipes. She walks every chance she gets and circuit trains at night. I said to her that if all I ate was a cucumber I would want to shoot myself and she told me well it's hard the first week but you get used to it when your stomach shrinks.
    I got off the phone and realized that as fast as she has lost the weight, eating like that is something I want no part of. I used to be that person that wanted the weight off right now and waiting would not work. Mind you, I have had a weight problem now for 6 years. I have finally decided to do it right. Hearing her today made me sad. Sure, you can lose weight at an ungodly rate but how miserable would you be? Not to mention how unhealthy. I am surprised she had enough energy to make it out of the bed, much less care for a baby. I wouldn't be able to.
    I wanted to post this because I wanted all of you who post on here with helpful advice to know that I appreciate it so much. And, it's obviously working because I have a totally new mindset about eating than I once did. So, whether you hear it a lot or not, thank you all.
    Why do you feel sad? Did the person say they don't like their diet? Just because you'd have a hard time finding pleasure with such a diet (me too), doesn't mean someone else does.

A lot of people enjoy drinking alcohol. I personally do not. I can go months between consuming it. I'll buy a six pack of beer every once in awhile and it will sit there in my fridge for months sometimes. It's not a moral thing. I just don't really crave it or feel the need to consume it. I don't seem to receive the same pleasure from the substance as other people. You could consider this a blessing or a curse depending on your perspective. If you told me tomorrow that I had to give up alcohol 100% forever for some health reason, I'd shrug it off as it wouldn't be a sacrifice to me. To some people, however, that would be a major lifestyle change and hard to give up. I wouldn't want those type of people to feel sad for me because I'm having to give up alcohol as I could do so without diminishing any pleasure I get in life.

In other words, it's human nature to project our own needs onto others but it's rarely productive. Everybody is different.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

at the end of the day if your calorie expenditure is greater than your calorie intake you will lose weight...

the eating patterns described by the original poster are not bad by any means... i'm not sure what you don't understand about her diet choices...?

so she lost 70 pounds over 6 months, meaning she lost 11.6 pounds per month, or about 2.9 pounds per week... i would venture to guess that the first several weeks her losses were more than that and the later weeks it was less... her weight loss is not "unhealthy", and will likely be sustainable...
    I sure to heck hope you're being sarcastic here. Otherwise, I have to disagree strongly.

I'm not sure what you think is a healthy diet but from what this woman told the OP she's eating maybe 600-700 calories per day. That is not healthy and not sustainable. And 2.9 pounds per week is not a healthy weight loss rate over that long a period of time.
  • ckneasel
    ckneasel Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    you make assumptions to things you are not aware of... do you know what her dinner consists of...? no you do not, so you are making snap assumptions based off what you think you know, but are misinformed...

losing 70 pounds over 6 months is not "unhealthy"... especially for a woman coming off a pregnancy...
  • clairedance
    Options
    Amen to that, Sue! I agree with the OP, I would feel sad for a friend who was eating in this way. I would be concerned for her health and I would be sad to know that she was imposing such deprivation on herself.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    you make assumptions to things you are not aware of... do you know what her dinner consists of...? no you do not, so you are making snap assumptions based off what you think you know, but are misinformed...

losing 70 pounds over 6 months is not "unhealthy"... especially for a woman coming off a pregnancy...
    And then she picks a healthy dinner at night from various recipes.
    Doesn't sound to me like she's eating a lot at night either. I don't think I'm assuming much at all. 100 calorie granola bar, another 100-200 calories of cucumbers and grapes, 300-500 calorie dinner. You do the math.

Don't get me wrong, I lost the 30 pounds I gained during my pregnancy pretty quickly after having my son, mostly because he breastfed like the ****ens. I also ate pretty normally because I was told I should eat extra calories to make up for the milk I was producing for my child. That's actually the part that concerns me the most. If this young mother is breastfeeding an infant off of that few calories, it's not a good thing at all, for either of them.
  • mamaparks87
    mamaparks87 Posts: 54 Member
    Options

I wasn't questioning her ability to lose weight- she obviously did that with no problems. This new way of eating for her is recent. When she first started to lose weight she was eating around 1200 calories per day... once she started losing weight she cut food back as she went along. I do not think eating a cucumber for lunch and a 100 cal pack for breakfast constitutes as a good diet.
  • mamaparks87
    Options
    Why do you feel sad? Did the person say they don't like their diet? Just because you'd have a hard time finding pleasure with such a diet (me too), doesn't mean someone else does.

A lot of people enjoy drinking alcohol. I personally do not. I can go months between consuming it. I'll buy a six pack of beer every once in awhile and it will sit there in my fridge for months sometimes. It's not a moral thing. I just don't really crave it or feel the need to consume it. I don't seem to receive the same pleasure from the substance as other people. You could consider this a blessing or a curse depending on your perspective. If you told me tomorrow that I had to give up alcohol 100% forever for some health reason, I'd shrug it off as it wouldn't be a sacrifice to me. To some people, however, that would be a major lifestyle change and hard to give up. I wouldn't want those type of people to feel sad for me because I'm having to give up alcohol as I could do so without diminishing any pleasure I get in life.

In other words, it's human nature to project our own needs onto others but it's rarely productive. Everybody is different.

I feel sad for her because I feel like consuming 700 cals per day is destructive. If it were something like she's a vegetarian or only eats processed food, I wouldn't feel as sad. But I care about her and hate to see her eating so little food because she thinks it is the only way to be thin.
  • mamaparks87
    Options

And then she picks a healthy dinner at night from various recipes.
    Doesn't sound to me like she's eating a lot at night either. I don't think I'm assuming much at all. 100 calorie granola bar, another 100-200 calories of cucumbers and grapes, 300-500 calorie dinner. You do the math.

Don't get me wrong, I lost the 30 pounds I gained during my pregnancy pretty quickly after having my son, mostly because he breastfed like the ****ens. I also ate pretty normally because I was told I should eat extra calories to make up for the milk I was producing for my child. That's actually the part that concerns me the most. If this young mother is breastfeeding an infant off of that few calories, it's not a good thing at all, for either of them.

Her dinners range from 300-500 cals, usually from skinnytaste.com.
  • masterofktulu
    masterofktulu Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Obviously she's disciplined but that kind of eating can't be sustained, when she goes back to eating "normally" she's in for a very rude surprise.

I wish I'd "gotten it" years ago..............too soon old, too late smart (well, it's never really too late until you're taking the dirt nap)

I disagree with not sustaining it I have made a huge change eating super healthy and I enjoy it much more than when I used to eat and if anything it's easier.