lady runners, fat legs + shorts?

Options
Hey gals!

I'm wondering if anyone has advice on what to wear running in the heat for someone with thunder thighs. I hate my legs, and the only thing I hate more is the thought of wearing shorts while running. I left the athletic store nearly in tears today after trying on the running shorts. The only other option they had were the tights that hit right below the knee…not a good place to cut the leg off on a girl with chunky thighs and calves! I want to be comfortable temperature wise for running, but I also want to feel comfortable and good about myself while doing it. Not to mention my legs are so white they're almost translucent. Someday, I will wear the cute skinny girl shorts…but what do I do until I get to that point?

Thanks for your advice!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• LoveLiveLift
    LoveLiveLift Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I use compression shorts (the 4" ones), under my running shorts. They are comfortable and keep your thighs from chafing, especially on long runs. Also, I guarantee that you are being more critical than others would be. When I see someone running, I don't look to see if they have big thighs. I'm just happy to see another runner out there!
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I honestly wear Capris and switch up my top depending on the temperature I hate when my shorts ride up so this makes me happy :smile:
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I honestly wear Capris and switch up my top depending on the temperature I hate when my shorts ride up so this makes me happy :smile:

Same here, it took me awhile to find some looser-fitting capris (i.e. not skintight) but they ARE out there!
  • NMJosephs
    NMJosephs Posts: 185
    Options
    I also wear capris and a tank top to off set for warm weather. My thighs are the worst! :(
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I wear the compression tights that hit mid thigh, I wish they were longer. Sometimes I will wear the tights that hit below the knee. This seems to firm stuff up and keep from chafing. I used to then wear shorts over them. Now I wear pants or nothing. I find the shorts just get bunched up between my legs. I DO wear I long T-Shirt though to cover almost all of my butt. I don't know what others think but it means that just the bottom of my butt peaks out and the compression tights make it look all firm. I kind of like it LOL.

Of course at the moment I don't feel too hot in anything so I'm just like eh. Go with what is most comfy.
  • Mergan
    Mergan Posts: 2
    Options
    I wear my boyfriend's shorts... they hit right at my knees and don't really ride up that much. Plus they have a drawstring so you can be sure they won't fall down (since I have big thighs but smaller waist).
  • kobiemom
    kobiemom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I don't run, but I've seen lots of gals of all sizes wearing tight, knit capri's with running shorts over them. Keep reminding yourself that it's only temporary. Your new body will arrive soon!
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I like some loose fitting capris that I bought at target... They hit mid calf and are lightweight.

But let me just mention that I am SURE no one cares about your "thunder thighs" so just wear what's comfortable!!!! When you see a larger person run I'm sure you're not like "ew get in the house!!!!!" don't stress!!!!!! :):):)

Edited to add- you could also wear some leggings (at whatever length you're comfortable with) and put some shorts over them. That's pretty camouflaging!
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I found shorts by Danskin at Walmart, they are a little tight on my thighs and butt when i squat down but they stay in place and don't ride up while i run. they hit a little above mid thigh, not 'runner shorts' my butt would fall out of those!
  • juicygurl1
    juicygurl1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    compression shorts, spandex style runner shorts that are long enough to cover ur upper thighs. if the weather is chilly there are several styles of spandex pants that keep u from "rubbing" and getting chaffed. when i used to run i always wore clothing that covered my upper thighs. Now i wear biker shorts because i no longer run, i just miss the runner high. have fun
  • lizfitmama
    Options
    YES! I totally agree! I am always so glad to see someone out on their run, no matter what their shape/size/weight...etc.
    I know what you are saying though...I don't like to wear shorts on a run because I find they ride up; I love to wear my capris-style pants, (Nike and Lululemon)
    Liz
  • TheBakerGirl
    Options

I tried the first link on yesterday! It wasn't pretty. :) I'm sure they'd look better on you though!! Okay, so I might just continue rocking my capri length tights…but I only have one (that I bought a few years ago!) and I'm afraid they might die soon. They are Calvin Klein, of all brands... Never would have guessed my favorite running tights would be CK instead of Nike or Adidas or something. So any ladies know of tights that go just over the calf? Also, if they have a good waistband for tummy jiggle, that would be an extra bonus!!
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I wear tight capri leggings. I have fat, short legs. I just wear a cute top that way I don't feel like a blob running :lol:
  • evelyn208
    evelyn208 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I run at a time when it's not too hot if it's summer. I always wear long runner trackies because I'm self conscious about my looks as well. Probably not you want to hear, but just know you are not alone. (If it is blistering hot enough that you CAN'T run with pants I wouldn't want to run even with shorts and go to the air conditioned gym instead).
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I wear full length tights or normal gym pants when it's cold, and the tight knee length shorts when it's warm. They don't look pretty but they stay in place and stop me overheating, I run where there's not a lot of people about so I dont really care what I look like lol!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I honestly would just wear shorts! No one else is judging your legs as harshly as you are and for me, when working out, comfort is far more important than what I look like.
  • Gilliamzoo
    Gilliamzoo Posts: 72 Member
    Options

I tried the first link on yesterday! It wasn't pretty. :) I'm sure they'd look better on you though!! Okay, so I might just continue rocking my capri length tights…but I only have one (that I bought a few years ago!) and I'm afraid they might die soon. They are Calvin Klein, of all brands... Never would have guessed my favorite running tights would be CK instead of Nike or Adidas or something. So any ladies know of tights that go just over the calf? Also, if they have a good waistband for tummy jiggle, that would be an extra bonus!!

I bought a a pair recently from kohls that I love. They are made by tek gear and are shaping- comfortable but they hold everything in. The pair I have are knee length but they had longer ones as well. I've got pretty large things but even though these are tighter I feel like I look good in them, like I'm a real runner!

But like everyone else has said wear when makes you comfortable and forget everyone else. #1 your not out there for anyone but yourself and #2 you'll probably never see those people again so who cares what they think. Don't let that stop you from getting out there and reaching your goals.
  • briggsy13
    briggsy13 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I bought men's champion shorts. they are cut longer than the woman's. They hit just above my knees but I'm tall. Honestly if you are out there working out then who cares what you look like or what people think!!! I say go out and kick butt!!!!! :)
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Well, I got those basketball shorts. At Nike, they are like the ones the boys wear. They are mesh ish and are longer. Love them.